Things that Should be Established in the Beginning of a Story?

I like to have an aggressive introduction that just makes the reader jump into the story, but have several dialogues by which the reader can deduce how is the world like

For example, my book starts with two teenager girls walking to school, while talking about random shit, basically no difference from what could happen in real life, then suddenly one of them whispers a political comment to the other, and it’s specified she did so in low enough voice so that possible microphones couldn’t catch it, with that you already imply this world has some kind of mass survaillance, then when they arrive to school, a “Flag of the Authority” is mentioned, and also the reader will start to notice the word “Authority” is always with capital A, they also mention institutions like “Internal Intelligence”, “Behaviour Control”, etc. that imply what is happening. At no point I mentioned what exactly is going on with the book, but with all this information, you get a general idea, the way the characters act, talk, etc.says a lot about their world

Character, character, character. We read stories because we connect to a character and want to see him or her through.

Just think of the first time you “met” Harry Potter. He’s an abandoned kid, a bit of a nerd with taped-together glasses being raised by a negligent, bullying family. , And his friends are also cool people I’d love to meet. not perfect, but people I’d love calling “friends.” The fantasy stuff is unbelievable, and often not-consistent or rational. The books’ plots But it doesn’t matter because I would follow Harry’s tale anywhere, hoping he survives with his integrity and heart intact.

So I wouldn’t get so caught up in the plotting. It’s typically pure mechanics, stuff that usually works itself out. But having engaging characters who at once reveal themselves in the plot while the plot changes them is key.

Establish that main character first. Then give them a need… even if it’s as simple as getting a glass of water.(1) Throw all sorts of obstruction in their way, which is what we call the plot. And let the character work his or her way through the obstructions. And trust me, the readers will follow And if the character’s good enough (like Harry or Huck Finn or Holden Caulfield), they’ll feel compelled to finish the book.

(1) An idea borrowed from Kurt Vonnegut.

Hi ! In the incipit you must place the setting and the characters. The incipit is very important because you show to the reader your style and this is what they first judge. Make sure you write a little but just enough about your characters that we will discover in the next chapters. Make it short or medium.

Settings and characters. Past events or other important information

I think that you should not put all in the incipit bc you say everything so readers won’t continue to read.

The first act is 25% of the book. Yes, all of that belongs in the first quarter of the book. It does NOT need to be prior to the inciting event, however.