This Is How I Get Over Writer's Block

If this can be of any use to anyone, I thought I’d share this.

Here is what I do to get over writer’s block and perhaps avoid it all together.

For me, it breaks down into two parts. 1. Cultivating inspiration and 2. Taking pragmatic action.

Before I start, there is something I always try to remember and I remind my writer friends of the same. If you don’t relate to this, feel free to skip it.

While writing is a large part of my identity, it is something I DO, not something I AM. Just because the work is not flowing, it does not diminish a writer as a person.

You are probably a wonderful person with many gifts to make the world a better place. Writing is just one of them.

1. Cultivating Inspiration

Read other people’s works. Read your old works. Go to the movies. Stream a show. Listen to new music. Ask your friends about their lives. Pick a topic and random and google it. Learn. Anything that’s new or outside your comfort zone. If you like to help/entertain people with your work, as I do, one of the things I do is find out what kind of help/entertainment they want or need. This puts me in the mind frame of wanting to write what people want to read as opposed to only writing what I want to write.

Writer’s block instills myopia and that must be smashed with new or forgotten ideas.

1. Taking Pragmatic Action

First off, keep in mind that no one ever has to see any writing you write and try not to compare your works in progress to other people’s or your own finished works.

Second, try to think of writing like going to the gym. Use it or lose it.

Write every day. Write garbage. Write cliches. Write the same word over and over again. Something. For at least five minutes a day. It doesn’t matter if you like it and it might do you some good if you don’t. If nothing else, you learn what doesn’t work, so now you can take a different tact.

Like with cultivating inspiration, pick a topic at random and write about. Anything at all. Social issues. The weather. The nature of specific people’s relationship, imagined or real. Try to empathize with people and write about how you think you would think/act in their shoes.

Above all, the most important thing is to consistently put pen to paper (or fingers to keyboard). That way, when inspiration strikes, you are ready for it and not rusty.

By doing these two things on a regular basis, in their various forms, I’ve learned a very important thing. I’ve stopped waiting for inspiration to show up the way I think it should look and started looking at all the inspiration that’s already there.

If you have any questions/comments, please feel free to DM me. @ASCharleston

If you have any suggestions for overcoming writer’s block, by all means, add to this thread.

Hope this helps. And if it does, feel free to share this with anyone else who might be interested.

Thanks,

Adam

4 Likes

So you’re saying to write everyday. How much do one write per day? I would say write a short story a day would help with keeping writing.

1 Like
  • Working in multimedia could help you a lot since you’re virtually able to write at any given point. For example, I plot and randomly write down snippets in a notebook, transferred them and do reorganization and major writing on a laptop, then went through to flag areas for improvement or proofread on my phone. Continuously switching your workspace allows your brain to change its thinking, and a lot of times, recharging ideas.

• Know which type of writer are you. Not just are you a plotter/pantser, but like, Are you more of a “Speaker” type, are you “Non-Reformist” type, etc. Take a minute and scroll through Google for some “Which Writer Style Am I Closest To” quizzes. That allows you to figure out your styles, your way of “writing.” For example, I’m a speaker, meaning I’m more comfortable speaking than writing and have difficulty organizing my thoughts, so I end up stop chasing after the composed, elaborate poetic purple prose style I adore and instead just use the vocabulary I’d usually use when speaking with friends. Then, it’s just about organizing the structure for clarity.

• WRITE. NOTES. DOWN. Help you figure out what you want to include. Also save times, and also writing things down by hand without crossing things out allow you to mull through stream-of-conscious and ask questions that flesh out events and world building. I’m a slice-of-life writer and outlines never quite do the job for me. This means whenever I try to dip my toes in another genres, I frequently ended up with sprawling plot or a plot that didn’t have have enough development. Write notes down helps me remember things I used to just hold in my head. DO IT!

• Start with a one-shot. Because one-shot of maybe 5-10K max sounded like an easier task to complete than a novel. Start it, then if you like the idea then expand, otherwise you’re done with that universe and those set of characters and don’t have to suffer through more.

I’ll probably pop in once in a while to add to the list, but Adam’s list is amazing and very true!

1 Like

This is great stuff! I was hoping others would like to add to this thread. I do something similar to you. I keep my work on the cloud so I can access it no matter what device is handy. Thanks so much for writing this @EPrescott

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.