Thoughts on flash-fiction and microfiction?

Hey everyone! I’m brand new here, and to familiarize myself with the platform I used one of my micro-stories (100 words, no more and no less) to get a feel for the process. However, I hadn’t seen others posting stories of that length unless they were in a collection.

So, my question: is it bad form to post micro-stories such as mine on their own? What are your thoughts on flash fiction like 6-word stories, 100-word “drabbles”, or 1000-word flash fiction?

A large chunk of my newest writing is strictly 100-words, thanks to a challenge I gave myself a few months back. Ray Bradbury had once said something along the lines of “write something every week. It’s impossible to write 52 bad stories in a row,” so I took that idea and ran with it. Sure enough, I had a ton of content I really enjoyed and was proud of. I would love to post those here, and I think the ease of going through a single 100-word story is more valuable than the tidiness of putting them all in a collection, but I’m new here. Please share your thoughts with me, and thank you in advance! :smiley:

I suppose it would make for very easy R4R’s on others’ end, at least!

Post them! They’re fun to read! There are actually a lot of those micro/flash fiction stories some of them are also cellphone novels around 100-200 words.

1 Like

Ah, fantastic! Thank you :] I like that term, cellphone novel.

Post them I shall!

1 Like

I agree with the person above. Share them! Sometimes it’s nice to read a shorter story. All the stories I have posted are oneshots. They’re longer than 100 words, but I don’t think any of them break 6,000 words. Write whatever length of story you want; there are no strict rules about length here. =]

2 Likes

Thank you, that’s encouraging! :]

I think that’s a good idea, posting them individually. Because you’re right, I do have a collection and a standalone and it’s easier to recommend or share the single one instead of a collection and a chapter name or number.

1 Like

Oh that’s a good point. Great, thank you!

1 Like

I wouldn’t say it’s bad, just not very common. Many don’t do it so they don’t have billions of stories on their profile. With the way the profile is set up, you have to keep scrolling and clicking that “more” button and it gets tiring to do if you have lot of stories. But if you’re mostly a short story author, it makes sense to have your stories out on display and not in a collection.

1 Like

Oh true, I hadn’t considered that angle of it haha. People probably try to just keep a couple of their best works (or ones they’re looking for feedback on) rather than using this as a full portfolio, no?

1 Like

Yeah, most likely lol.

Anybody ever try episodic flash fiction? It sounds like an oxymoron but it’s the way I’ve always written. I don’t do chapters. Each of my novels have 75-100 scenes that average 1000 words. I think of them like scenes in a TV show. They typically have a one liner at the end that is a cliff hanger or a prompt to go to the next scene while still being a self-contained story. Either way a little conflict is resolved in each scene and it adds to story as a whole. I use 3 POVs per novel and give each POV about 3 scenes in a row so I don’t fry the reader’s brain.

1 Like

Congrats on being able to write 100 word story.

I can’t do this. i have too much to say.

I’ve done several flash fiction though.

1 Like

You just gave me an idea. I should post the cluster of flash fiction in one book.

1 Like

I have a friend who just published a who book of micro fiction stories into one book.

1 Like

Funny you mention that, someone else I was chatting with (I think she’s at the top of this thread here, actually) did one that way! Cute little horror episodic microfiction. Might be a fun experiment, I’ll have to give it a try haha.

1 Like

That’s the fun part! I’ve only wrapped a story up on the mark a couple times, but I’ve gotten a good sense of how much room I have to say anything. It’s challenging and satisfying to cut and trim in such small amounts to make every word carry its weight.

1 Like

I didn’t know micro fiction was that popular! Do you ever read at

microfictionmondaymagazine.com

??

I don’t read it. But there is a writing community group on Twitter that posts a “word,” daily, and writers make up a story in the allotted tweet space they have.

1 Like

Oh that’s cute! I’ve seen things like that, but never organized through Pinterest. Have you done one of those yet?

Done Pinterest or Twitter’s micro-fiction?