Thoughts, prayers, well-wishes for a fellow romance writer in intensive care

Dear Wattpad Romance Community:

A fellow romance writer who has become a dear friend to me suffered a stroke last night and is currently in intensive care. Some of you may be familiar with him - he’s been active in the forums from time to time. @wa02guy (Author of Gavin and Roxanne and Unpredictably Yours).

I hope he doesn’t mind me sharing this. I haven’t been able to actually speak to him. I did speak to his wife this morning. He had surgery to remove the blood clots, but they don’t really have much information or prognosis yet.

PLEASE send your thoughts, prayers, positive vibes, well-wishes - whatever energy you can send - his way for a quick and complete recovery, and comfort for his family. :sparkling_heart:

1 Like

Omg I wish him the best! And his family :cry::heart:

1 Like

Just a quick update I received from his wife…

He is awake and able to move his arms and legs. He is trying to communicate but not able to speak yet. It’s good that he is showing signs of being alert, but it will be a while before they can make a better assessment of his state, and will likely be a long, slow recovery. They can’t make any definitive prognosis as to whether or not he’ll have a full recovery.

I passed along your well wishes, and those of the entire Wattpad romance community. :slight_smile: I will continue to update as I hear more news.

3 Likes

Definitely sending my best wishes for recovery; I’m glad to hear he’s awake, and thank you for keeping us updated!

1 Like

Just another quick update. He was able to get up and walk today - a short, 5-minute walk down the hall, but that’s big! Last night he was unable to move, and today he was able to walk. That’s a very positive improvement. He is still unable to speak, but is alert and aware. They will be doing an MRI and more tests tomorrow and the rest of the week.

I don’t know how often I will get updates, but I will let you know if/when I do. Thank you all for keeping him in your thoughts and prayers. It will likely be a long, slow road to recovery, but there are positive signs already and maintaining hope is vital.

1 Like

Swift recovery, fellow cupid!

1 Like

Ooph… That’s rough. I’m new to this community but my thoughts go out to them. Hopefully they can recover well and get on a good track soon.

1 Like

Oh, I’m not familiar with him but my thoughts and prayers go out to him and his family. Fingers crossed he can make a full and speedy recovery.

1 Like

Glad to hear he is getting better every day. Get well soon. :sunny:

1 Like

Update on @wa02guy… Today is another good day!

I actually exchanged a few messages with him. He is not able to type really … just a couple words. :cry: BUT, he’s alert and improving, and the fact he was able to communicate at all only one day later is cause for celebration in my book!

I told him of all the well wishes here. He couldn’t type, but he did reply with a heart emoji, so I know he appreciates it and sends you his thanks. :heart:

1 Like

Oh my gosh that’s so scary and sad! I’ve spoken quite a few times with him on here and through reading each others stories. Hes such a good guy and always good conversation. Hope he is feeling much better!

1 Like

I will pass on your well wishes to him. I know it means a lot. He has been in pretty good spirits, but understandably very frustrated that he is still unable to communicate. He can speak and type only a few words. :cry:

But he has made gradual improvements, and hopefully will continue to improve with time and therapy. Thank you again!

1 Like

Hello all! HUGE improvements to report!

I exchanged several text messages with wa02guy today. For the first time, he was able to type short, coherent sentences, and we were able to carry on a brief conversation.

A big moment today. He typed his full name (first, middle, and last). This was HUGE. Prior to today, he couldn’t type more than a few letters or short 3-4 letter words! He was so excited, he typed his name over and over several times. :grin:

He also has improved verbally, able to say a few more words. When I told him how great he was doing, he sent me a short audio clip of himself saying “Thank You”.
Another really BIG deal!

More good news. He is out of the ICU. They moved him today into rehabilitation. He’ll be there likely at least another week. He still has a very long way to go, but he is making BIG strides forward. Every day is a miraculous improvement.

Thank you all so much for your continued thoughts and prayers! I have shared all your messages with him, and he is extremely appreciative and wanted me to thank you. I will continue to post additional updates as he improves.

2 Likes

Another quick update. He started physical and speech therapy today. He is still improving little by little every day.

He can still only type and speak in short phrases, but they are all coherent now. The first couple days, everything was jumbled.

He has been moved into a rehabilitation facility and will be there for at least another week, perhaps longer.

I usually exchange a couple messages with him at least once a day and speak to his family regularly, so I’ll keep posting updates as I receive them.

1 Like

Oh my goodness! He’s such a sweet man, oh, I wish him a speedy recovery. He and his family are in my thoughts and prayers. Wow…woww.

1 Like

I just heard from @wa02guy that he will be able to go home in TWO DAYS (Dec 4)! That is GREAT news! The earliest they had been predicting was Friday. Now the plan is Wednesday. He’s doing so well!

He will still have a lot of recovery, but I know he is really looking forward to being home. He was very excited today. Again, thank you all for your prayers and well wishes. He said again today that all the moral support he has received has meant the world to him. :heart:

1 Like

Great news! I don’t know him, but sending healing thoughts his way. What an amazing community of writers we have here. Warms my heart. His recovery sounds as if it’s going really well:)

1 Like

Oh my god, I send all the good vibes I can! I’ve spoken to @wa02guy on numerous occasions, I hope he recovers soon!

1 Like

I hope and pray he’s recovering well!

1 Like

HE IS HOME!!! happy dance

@wa02guy was discharged from the hospital today and is home - comfortable and happy! He will continue to have regular rehab appointments and has a long recovery ahead, but being able to rest and recover at home is huge. He is so happy, and feeling very positive about his recovery.

Again - thank you ALL for the continued prayers and well wishes. I will post updates now and then as things progress, but perhaps not as frequently. It is my sincere hope that he will be back in the forums before long. :heart: