Tips for new Romance writers?

I’m looking to branch out more into the Romance genre as it is not something I have ever tackled in the past but do want to consider putting in as a sub-genre for my Historical Fiction.

Do you have any tips for someone who has never written Romance but is looking into writing more of it?

2 Likes

Read, read. read and then read some more. See what you like in romance, see what you don’t. Find what you think is working and unique, and find all of the overdone cliches you probably want to stay away from.

It all depends on what kind of romance you’re wanting to write but, I would say the most important thing that many romance writers can get wrong is forced chemistry. Know your characters. Know why the couple is drawn to each other and let the readers see that, too.

I can’t tell you how many novels I’ve read from younger romance authors where the couple isn’t together for any other reason than the author wanted it that way.

Chemistry is a vital component to get across to your readers between your desired couple.

Also, this is my personal opinion but for a slow burn romance- even if it’s the sub plot- there needs to be tension. Sexual tension, emotional tension, ect. The best part about reading a romance is the build up to the couple finally admitting their feelings or finally giving in and kissing. The build up of tension is key to a successful, final explosion of passion whenever they decide to give into their feelings for one another. It’s always, without a doubt, my favorite part of romances.

2 Likes

Thank you :slight_smile: This will definitely help when I start to approach the romance angle :smiley: My plan is to set it up in the first novel, or hint at it, and then build it up more in the second one (if I make a decision on a sequel xD)

I’ve seen many authors do that quite successfully. I love a good slow burn over a couple books :wink:

What kind of romance build up will it be? Friends to lovers? Enemies? Forbidden? Now I’m all curious. lol

1 Like

Technically forbidden because it’s between a servant and her employer (well, son of her employer). I am going to have to be careful with it because they’re young, but it fits the context of the time period rather well :smiley:

Forbidden romance is my JAM. Lol Definitely gonna want to spruce up the sexual tension for a forbidden romance. lol Its the best part of writing it! The build up for a forbidden romance is so worth it, knowing it’s wrong, that they shouldn’t be together but then feelings and desires are too strong and they can’t help but just give in, even if only for one night. swoons lol

And yes, if it fits with the context of the time period, then I wouldn’t worry too much about age. As long as he isn’t 30 and she’s 13. lol I might have an issue reading that lol

1 Like

I just hope I can pull it off when I get there xD

No, he’s 15 and she’s 14 xD I wouldn’t go as far as to make it that weird, even with the context xD

1 Like

I’m sure you’ll be fine :slight_smile: Just read as many period romances as you can as well as forbidden romances. Steal what works and toss away what doesn’t.

15 and 14 should be just fine :slight_smile: It could be particularly fun to play with the maturity levels as they grow older too; depending on how old you plan to make them in the sequel that is.

2 Likes

I’ll do some digging and see what already exists :slight_smile:

No idea xD I don’t know if I’m going to keep it a duology or a series or what I’m doing with it xD Time will tell

1 Like

Best of luck! Feel free to message me if you need help with anything specific. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you so much for your help :slight_smile:

1 Like

As @LittleMinx94 said, the best tip is READ. Writing historical fiction has its tricks and adding romance elements could be tricky if you wanna keep the flow and make it believable.
you can def find great stories here on Wattpad or you can also look for contemporary published authors :slight_smile: I hope that helps!

1 Like

Thank you :slight_smile: I have touched on romance in a previous Historical Fiction, but it was done through letters so it was a little easier to do xD

Letters are a great way to reveal plots :wink: I’ll try to find some stories and authors and send them to you

1 Like

Thank you! The letters was easier but the whole story was written as letters so it wasn’t too difficult xD I want it to be small hints throughout this book, that’s why I asked for advice :smiley:

1 Like