[TIPS] How to advertise your story?

Advertise Story

The Share Your Story club is the only section where you are allowed to advertise your work. A few other clubs allow the sharing of links, but this one is the only one where you can showcase your story, for people to come and read it.

Since many other people are also sharing their work, you have to make sure you can catch the readers’ attention sufficiently. This post will explain to you the basics of how to properly share your story.

If you are new to the forums, it is possible that you will not be able to add links or pictures. It is because you don’t have a trust level high enough for that. You can learn more about Trust Levels here.

Building your ad
What a standard ad looks like
How to add a picture?
How to add a link?
About the Blurb

What a fancy ad can look like
Going the extra mile
The basics of coding
Posting your ad
Finding the right thread
About the Tags
Stories Requests

10 Likes

Down there, is a pretty standard and efficient ad. After explaining to you how to create it, I will add a few points you can add to make your ad even more enticing. Just keep in mind that it should not be too long, so that the people seeing your post are not discouraged from reading it.

Daisies

Daisies and Deceptions

Because of her family’s history, Delilah decided a long time ago that she would never be in love. It was too much, too painful, and from what she had seen, not worth it. Not even a little.

That is until she meets Henry, her arrogant, self-absorbed, dashing new neighbor. The more she learns about him, the more she question things, and starts to wonder if maybe she isn’t missing out on something much bigger than her.

But not with Henry, certainly, because he is the most irritating person she knows.

But is he, really?

8 Likes

If you want to try out the following explanations before posting in the SYS, you can head to the HTML Playground thread, dedicated to trying out various codes.

Do not use your story’s cover, blurb, or link when you try things in the HTML Playground. You can use a fake cover, a fake blurb (like Lorem Ipsum), and a fake Link (Like https://www.wattpad.com)

Fake covers

Copy/paste or save those to use them as fake covers:

Fake Cover 1Fake Cover 2
Fake Cover 3Fake Cover 4
Fake Cover 5Fake Cover 6

Fake Texts

Copy/paste those to use them as fake blurbs:

How to add a picture?

To add a picture to your post, if your trust level allows it, you can either slide it in the post your are typing, or go click on the Upload button, just over the typing window.

It will open a window, that will give you two choices to add your image. Either straight from your computer, or via link, if you already have one online. Chose your way of adding the pic, and then hit the orange Upload button.

Resizing it
If your image has a very large resolution, it will take a lot of the screen, which will seem unbalanced. The forum already limits it to 800 pixels in width, but I would advise making your image 50% or 75% of that. Or order to do it, go to the right side of the typing window, where you can see the preview of your post, and hover over your image. Bottom left of that image, you’ll get 100% • 75% • 50%. Try them out, and see what size looks the best.

Extra tip
Of course, your cover has to be appealing and catch the eye. If you aren’t satisfied with your current cover, you can find someone to help you out in the #mdc. You can either find someone who offers to make covers, in exchange for payment in the #mdc:covers-shops, or ask for one in the #mdc:request-a-graphic, offering the payment you are willing give for it. You can find the MCD’s Guidelines here.

If you are new to the forums, it is possible that you will not be able to add links or pictures. It is because you don’t have a trust level high enough for that. You can learn more about Trust Levels here.

2 Likes

How to add a link?

You can add your link to your post, which might not be very elegant but easy and efficient:
https://www.wattpad.com/story/012345678-extra-long-title-of-your-book-because-you-were-inspired

Please, note that when you post the link to you book, you do not need the text title for it to work. Only copy it all the way to the numbers. Looks much better, especially if you have special symbols or emojis in your title, or if it is very long.
https://www.wattpad.com/story/012345678

If you want to make it a little neater, you can use the Hyperlink function:

How it works
When you hit that button, a window will open. You can type what you want written (or select it in your text before clicking on the Hyperlink button). You can write “Read the story here”, the title of your book. “LINK”… Whatever floats your boat.

Extra tips
• Hyperlink also works with pictures! All you have to do is select the text related to the pic, and press the Hyperlink button, and then add in your link :wink:
• If you want to make your title look bigger, all you have to do is use the following code:

<big>Your Text Here</big>

2 Likes

About the Blurb

A blurb is a short description of a book that is written for promotional purposes. Traditionally, it would be found on the inside back cover of a hardback. As paperback publishing developed, readers began seeing the blurb appearing on the back cover. Generally, 150-200 words are more than enough for a full blurb.

The blurb is the one thing that will make people decide if yes or no they will read your book. The cover will attract their eye, but the blurb will be how they make the decision to read your story. It shouldn’t be too long, and it is better to have a blurb rather than an excerpt.

It isn’t easy to come up with a good one. It should give just enough information to make the reader interested but not so much that the mystery is gone. If you want to improve your blurb and make it the best you can, you should head over to the #improve-your-writing club, where you will find a lot of threads that should help you out, or you can make a thread to ask for some help, after making sure you’ve read the guidelines.

4 Likes

:blossom: :blossom: :blossom:
𝓓𝓪𝓲𝓼𝓲𝓮𝓼 𝓪𝓷𝓭 𝓓𝓮𝓬𝓮𝓹𝓽𝓲𝓸𝓷𝓼

Daisies
ℂ𝕠𝕞𝕖 𝕒𝕟𝕕 𝕥𝕣𝕪 𝕥𝕙𝕚𝕤 𝕗𝕦𝕟𝕟𝕪, 𝕢𝕦𝕚𝕣𝕜𝕪, 𝕒𝕟𝕕 𝕒𝕕𝕠𝕣𝕒𝕓𝕝𝕖 𝕤𝕥𝕠𝕣𝕪 𝕥𝕙𝕒𝕥 𝕚𝕤 𝕤𝕦𝕣𝕖 𝕥𝕠 𝕝𝕖𝕒𝕧𝕖 𝕪𝕠𝕦 𝕨𝕒𝕟𝕥𝕚𝕟𝕘 𝕞𝕠𝕣𝕖!
Because of her family’s history, Delilah decided a long time ago that she would never be in love. It was too much, too painful, and from what she had seen, not worth it. Not even a little.

That is until she meets Henry, her arrogant, self-absorbed, dashing new neighbor. The more she learns about him, the more she question things, and starts to wonder if maybe she isn’t missing out on something much bigger than her.

But not with Henry, certainly, because he is the most irritating person she knows.

But is he, really?

Some lovely reviews I got:

I love this story so much! It’s lighthearted, hilarious, and so, so binge-worthy! Seriously, everyone should just go ahead and try it! :heart:
-RandomUser1

Guinevere is incredibly relatable, and Henry is very… Ugh, yummy and irritating! But I love them together so, so much!
-RandomUser2

Excerpt

I looked down at my feet, stunned, and stared for a moment at the state of my panda-themed slippers. What the hell? I looked back up at the stranger, wondering why on Earth he would knock on my door, only to vomit on my feet once I opened it. He was obviously wasted, his eyes unfocused, his gestures clumsy. Despite that, and despite the fact that he’d just barfed on me, I couldn’t help but notice that he was kind of hot. Get yourself together, you idiot! The man is obviously a wreck.

“You’re not my flatmate,” he noted, visibly confused. Oh, God… That British accent was just to die for.

“What gave it away?” I retorted, annoyed both by him and by the way I was reacting to his hotness.

“Well, for one, you are way prettier than him,” he answered, his tone suddenly seductive. “And for seconds, I’m quite certain that Alan doesn’t wear pink knickers.”

I felt my face heat up, as embarrassment invaded me, remembering that I had been expecting Jessica, and not a total stranger. Before my brain could form a coherent thought, I slammed the door before him, out of pure survival instinct.

Goodness gracious… Why!?

(っ◔◡◔)っ Link Here

3 Likes

Going the extra mile

Up there is the way to make a basic ad, and while it is enough, there are a few ways to make your ad stick out of the crowd. You can figure out ways by going around the Share your Story thread, and see what people are doing for their ads. Here are some:

Give it a personal touch
Write a short note, explaining why people would like your book, and why they should give it a try. If you are posting in the #share-your-story:story-requests section, you might want to tell the OP why they should pick your work.

▂ ▃ ▄ ▅ ▆ ▇ █ █ ▇ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂

Show them what you’re worth
Add a couple of positive reviews or comments you’ve had from your readers (Make sure you have their approval before doing so, they might not want it to be out here.)

Give them a teaser
Add a short excerpt of your story, that shows off your writing skills, or that will give the readers the atmosphere of your story. You can do that using the Hide Details function so that your Ad doesn’t seem too long.

Make your advertisement eye-catching
Make, or ask for someone to in the #mdc, an all-in-one ad, which will allow you to have some nice design, and cath peoples’ eye. Some people even make gifs and the results are incredible.

2 Likes

The basics of Coding

Although limited, You can input some code into your advertisement, to make it look a little more unique and original. In the editing window, you can already render your text in bold or in italics using those buttons: image And you can toggle the direction in which your text shall align on, using this one: image. To center your text, use this code: [center]YOUR TEXT HERE[/center]

Here are a few more options that will help you make your ad more interesting:

You can change colors:

This is an example with "purple"
This is an example with "blue"
This is an example with "green"
This is an example with "yellow"
This is an example with "orange"
This is an example with "red"
This is an example with "#14d19e"

Use this code: [color=YourColor]YOUR TEXT HERE[/color]

For the color, you can use the colors’ HTML / CSS Name, red, darkred, blue, darkblue, lightblue, orange, darkorange, vermillon, purple, pink, darkpink, grey, lightgrey, darkgrey… But you can also use their Hex Code, like #CD5C5C, #FFD700, #BDB76B, #00FA9A, #00CED1, #483D8B, #FF00FF, #C71585, #FFE4E1

You can find those shades quite easily. This website references all the existing shades. You can be more specific with the Hex Codes, which you can find in Photoshop and other tools.

You can change sizes:
This is an example Size 1
This is an example Size 2
This is an example Size 3
This is an example Size 4
This is an example Size 5
This is an example Size 6
This is an example Size 7

Use this code: [size="X"]YOUR TEXT HERE[size="1"]

The sizes go from 1 to 7, and can become hard to read from a phone, so try not to go too far in the extremes.

You can change fonts:
This is an example
This is an example
This is an example
This is an example

Use this code: [font=YourFont]YOUR TEXT HERE[/font]

The font that work are Fantasy, Serif, Cursive, Monospace. Somehow, the fonts aren’t the same from a computer or from a phone, maybe try and check to see if you like the results on both. You can also use some fancy text using a generator. Make sure to keep things easily readable.

You can mix it up!

This is an example
[font=fantasy][color=#00CED1][size="3"]**This is an example**[/size][/color][/font]

This is an example
[font=monospace][color=#FFD700][size="6"]**This is an example**[/size][/color][/font]

This is an example
[font=cursive][color=#C71585][size="4"]**This is an example**[/size][/color][/font]

𝕋𝕙𝕚𝕤 𝕚𝕤 𝕒𝕟 𝕖𝕩𝕒𝕞𝕡𝕝𝕖
[color=orange][size="5"]**𝕋𝕙𝕚𝕤 𝕚𝕤 𝕒𝕟 𝕖𝕩𝕒𝕞𝕡𝕝𝕖**[/size][/color]

4 Likes

Finding the right thread

In order to post your ad, you will need to find the proper thread. The more accurate the thread, the better chances you have to find your public. If your work is an interstellar science fiction story, with a vague and very secondary love story, and that one background character who happens to be a Werewolf, do not post it in Romance or Werewolves, post it in Science Fiction. That’s where your people will be looking for stories to read.

A specific story can only be shared once per week, in the entirety of the SYS (#share-your-story:story-requests excluded). Make sure before posting your ad that you haven’t one already posted. It isn’t allowed in the SYS, and a mod will take it down.

When you are in the #share-your-story club, you will find a list of genres, that cover just about everything you may have to share.

Current genres you can find

• Fantasy
• Horror
• Romance
• Science Fiction
• Random
• Historical Fiction
• Fan Fiction
• Mystery/Thriller
• Action
• Chick Lit
• General Fiction
• Teen Fiction
• Vampire
• Adventure
• Humor
• Poetry
• Paranormal
• Spiritual
• Non-Fiction
• Short Story
• Werewolf
• Writer Resources and Guides

Some of those genres, the biggest ones, have subgenres.

Examples of Subgenres

• Romance - New Adult
• Romance - Dark
• Romance - Mature
• Romance - Young Adult
• Romance - Fantasy
• Romance - Multicultural
• Romance - Supernatural
• Romance - Contemporary
• Romance - Historical

Once you have found the perfect thread, you may post!

Extra Tips

Note that those threads are refreshed weekly, and that you will have to repost your ad. The best thing to do, is to regularily change threads. Say your story has both Werewolves and Vampires, you should alternate between those two genres, so that you may be visible to more people, who may just stick to checking the same threads.

3 Likes

About the Tags

Before you post your story in one of the treads, you have to make sure that the Tags on your book match the criteria on the thread you wish to post in. It is a requirement, not an advice, and if you don’t respect it, a mod will remove your advertisement. If you repeat it, you will get an official warning, so make sure that your tags are in order.

The tags are how Mods can make sure you are posting in the right thread. If your book’s genre is Romance, you will still have to tag it as Romance. It actually is a good thing for your visibility to do that, regardless of posting it in the SYS or not.

To give you an example, a story with those tags:

Could post in the following threads:
• Romance
• Romance - New Adult
• Romance - Mature
• Romance - Young Adult
• Romance - Fantasy
• Romance - Supernatural
• General Fantasy
• Vampire
• Vampire - Romance
• Paranormal

If you want to know more about the tags, how to change them, which one to add, and how it works, you can head to this thread, which will explain everything you might need to know.

3 Likes

The Story Request section

In the Share Your Story club, there are the moderator-made, that allow you to share your story once a week, and the Story Requests section, that is meant for users to ask for stories they would like to read.

Please keep in mind that the Story Request section in the Share Your Story club is meant for people to find stories to read, rather than advertizing their own. In that sense, I’m afraid that you are not allowed to promote your own story.

If you want to promote your stories, you can do that in the official genre SYS threads in the Share your Story club. If you’re looking for reading material for yourself, you are welcome to open a thread in Story Requests, being specific about what you’re looking to read (e.g. harry potter fanfiction, stories under 5k reads etc). You cannot just ask for any story.

If you decide to share your story in one of the Story Requests threads, make sure that the work you are about to share fits the criteria of the OP. Sometimes, the requester will specify that they go not want people to share their own works, so respect that too.

Never miss a request

If you want to make the best of the Story Requests section, you can set in a way so you’ll get a notification for every 1st post. For that, all you have to do is click on the bell, top right of the screen when you are there:
And then click on “Watching First Posts”.

4 Likes