Tips on writing cancer

I know that the title seems morbid. But I’m starting to work on a story about a girl who falls in love and baking and stuff, and she ends up finding out she has Acute Myeloid Leukemia. I can do all the research I’d like into the treatments and symptoms, but I would like help on some of the more emotional aspects. It can be anything from your experience with it, or your experience as a family member/friend who has it. I understand if it’s too emotional to talk about, but I really want to get this right.

Thanks for all the help :slight_smile:

I can’t write about having cancer, but many close people in my life have had cancer. I can explain that at first they are strong - they never give up. However, as the disease progresses (even with treatment) they get weaker. Their thoughts fall as hope starts to slim away and doubts fill their mind.

1 Like

thank you so much! Anything helps

1 Like

I’ve written a character who has overcame cancer (though she was a minor character) and what I did was as she progressed she got weaker and weaker during treatment until after she beat it (and started recovering) she gained her strength back and yada yada yada.

1 Like

thank you so much, that helps me to understand it just a little bit better

1 Like

I’m currently working on a story, which deals with two teens falling in love and one of whom–Brian–has cancer. He blogs about his experiences with the disease and is trying to reconcile with how he may not have much time in this world. I’ve never had cancer, but have known friends and others who have had it. I think focusing on the emotional aspects of the story is a great way to go. Have you done further research? Talked to any cancer patients/survivors?

1 Like