Toiling in obscurity

I feel like the vast majority of wattpad writers are unknown and undiscovered and it seems like every other time I stop by the forums there’s always some thread with people wishing they had more reads or more followers or wanting to know how to get discovered.

I was just like that when I started but over the year and half that I’ve been here I’ve come to realize that my writing has a long long way to go before it gets any good.

And that has been really freeing in a way. With no huge following and no real readers hungry for that next chapter I feel completely free to do whatever I want. I don’t have anyone asking me for updates, or commenters giving me rude feedback or criticism, or any pressure to write a certain way to please a market or a fan group.

I’m happily undiscovered and for right now I don’t want that to change.

In a sea of “how do I get more reads? How do I get discovered?” I’m wondering if there’s anyone else out there saying “I don’t think I want all the attention” is anyone else toiling away in obscurity with a smile on their face?

I’m personally happy just having a small number of dedicated readers, who are honestly just more like friends. Occasionally I’ll get a random spike in readers but I’m for the most part just like everybody else around here. I’m not going to be the next JK Rowling or anything, so I like not having any pressure to be. If it felt that way it wouldn’t be fun to me, and fun is the real reason I write.

1 Like

I’ve been coming to terms with it, recently! Considering all the edits and the rewriting to do, I’m quite glad I’m not frustrating too many people just trying to read a mediocre book :joy:

It’s a lot less pressure, and in the end, is a reminder that I’m writing for myself, first and foremost.

2 Likes

I’ve only been on here for about a week, and am giving it a trial run by posting a completed book, a chapter a day. If no one reads it, I’ll just take it down and delete my profile haha.

I don’t think I’d like the pressure of using wattpad as a forum for a work in progress. I’m writing my wip offline for now. We’ll see … this is all new to me!

1 Like

That’s why I’m in this too :slight_smile: if it’s not fun anymore then I’m quitting writing and I really feel like deadlines and pressure would make it not fun at all. I don’t think I’ll ever pursue any kind of publishing for the same reasons.

I prefer to keep my work offline until its done too :slight_smile: or at the very least until I have a good ten or fifteen chapters to post. Thwt way I’m not frantically trying to work ahead of an update schedule

Now, if you are looking to pick up some readers I hear that whatever nebulous math that runs yhe wattpad algorithm likes weekly or twice weekly updates the best.

With the amount of worries I have over posting anything, I have to say that I kind of enjoy not having a following. Even though I’ve been writing for years, I think if I could just accumulate a small following to get some feedback, I’ll be more than happy.

And I also keep most of my work offline until it’s done. I’m a scattered plotter and tend to change my mind as I go along ever so slightly, so I feel like things turn out way better when I wait with things. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for the advice! I’ve been updating every day. I suppose I need to slow down. As with any new social media, I find I’m way too distracted by wattpad right now, so setting a lighter schedule is probably a very good thing.

1 Like

Sort of. I know my writing is good, but I’ve had too many incompetent writers trying to give me pointers.

Yeah publishing isn’t my aim. Just a fun hobby that I can share with people who might want to read my stuff! :blush:

1 Like

I did that when I started too, posting every day. I finished a story in a month after writing and posting a chapter every day. But that was cause I’d thought and planned it out for years before I had the balls to actually write it haha

It’s about getting your name out there and interacting with the community. The more you interact, the more readers you’ll garner.

“You have to give an editor something to change, or he gets frustrated. After he pees in it himself, he likes the flavor much better, so he buys it.”

― Robert A. Heinlein, Stranger in a Strange Land

3 Likes

How long was the story? I would love to complete a story this summer. I have one that is pretty well sketched out, but I always seem to hit so many plot snags. Novels drag on and on for me!

I think it was about 24 ish chapters. The way the story was too, there was a natural conclusion. It was a comedy so if it dragged on too long then it would have just became nonsense. Most of my other stories are a bit longer

1 Like

So what kinds of stories do you guys write ? :slight_smile: I write mostly sci fi but I read a lot of fantasy too. I’m working dilligently on combining the two in a science fantasy tale that no one will read lol

1 Like

I nearly always write romantic comedies. I just love everything about them!

1 Like

I don’t think I’ve ever read a romantic comedy before :stuck_out_tongue: seen lots of movies in that genre but never any books

Yeah I’m hugely inspired by those movies haha

1 Like

Do you have a favourite thing about writing that genre?