Traditional & Self Publishing at a Glance

Motivated by a “publisher” in a FB group who is putting out lots of wrong info, I thought I’d create an “At a Glance” comparison of traditional and self publishing.

Trad%20v%20self

This is a great graphic, maybe we could pin it to the top of the club. One small tweak - Amazon’s 70% royalty option is (for books priced in American dollars, it changes by store and currency) available to books priced between 2.99-9.99. Over 9.99 reverts to 35%.

1 Like

Thank you!!! I’ll update tomorrow.

Hey @AlecHutson is $9.99 (that price exactly) 70% or 35%?

The 70% royalty tier is from 2.99-9.99. So anything above or below is 35%.

This needs to be pinned, along with other resources like things on Dreame.

3 Likes

As requested I pinned the post. Great information @XimeraGrey There are too many Dreame posts, unless we have one we find particularly relevant, I would be a bit hesitant to choose one.

3 Likes

Thanks, Lina!

Thanks, @all

There’s likely some tweaks that need to happen. I’ll do that along the way and as things change.

It can quickly get overwhelming, but …

Small press publishers do not always provide a professional level of cover design or editing. They all say they do, though. :smile:

In “Decision Making,” under Traditional Publishing, the author cannot decide whether the book will be published in audio format, or sometimes print. That is decided by the publisher.

In “Books for Authors,” sometimes a small press will expect the author to hand-sell copies of the book during signing events at conventions or bookstores. A self-published author does have to pay $$ for print versions, but can do so at a discount.

2 Likes

Thank you!

I made updates.

1 Like

Indeed, very nice. Here are my small suggestions, based on topics I see coming up frequently in the forums. But it’s great as it is.

Rights, Trad column:
Suggest adding: “Read the contract carefully. Research. Ask published authors, e.g. in this forum. If in doubt, consult a lawyer.”

Barriers to entry, self-pub column:
Instead of “None” I suggest “Low”, or “No formal barriers”.
Detail: If commercial success is your goal, you have to understand your chosen distributor platform, and achieve cover, blurb, and interior designs on par with those of traditional publishers.

Alternative wording: “No formal barriers. But you are responsible for editing, cover, blurb, and interior design, and your sales will be highly sensitive to how good those are. See Design, Editing, Printing.”

Cost, Trad column:
Suggest adding: “If an agent asks for a fee, it’s a scam. If a publisher asks for a fee, it’s a vanity press, which is to say, a scam.”

PR & Marketing, Trad column:
Suggest adding: “These days, most publishers expect the author to contribute to marketing.”

2 Likes

Good ones!

I’d love to be published…