Want Your Cover To Look Better? I Can Help!!! || Critiques and Graphic Design Advice || Temporarily closed

feedback-offered
graphics
critiques
help
covers

Oh absolutely. I go back to work on Wednesday, so I’ll try to find some reference shots and sketch out a few ideas in the meantime. I had an idea based on your concept above I also want to play around with. Not trying to give too much away, but one of the larger plot points in my story revolves around Ley Lines running under New York like a series of roots. So the idea was to find a really clear photo of the New York skyline, flip it upside down, and then add the roots growing off a tall building like the Empire State Building or the Chrysler building. No clue if it’ll pan out, but I’m going to give it a shot

For the last idea, if that’s something you really like, that’s definitely something I can work at. You probably won’t get it before the 26th but I’ll start planning and sketching. But otherwise, I’ll wait to see what you come up with.

Hello my lovely talented Everest, you’ve read my work already so I was hoping you’d be able to give me dat insider advice on me cover.

Hey Svoosh! Sorry I couldn’t reply to this earlier! Christmas was crazy, even when I spent the majority of it home XD XD XD Anyway, I’ll break your cover down for you piece by piece, just like everyone else, okay? :wink:

Alright, so the first thing that my eye notices is the eye. (Irony, or redundancy???) Since it’s the brightest spot on the cover, it’s hard to look away and no matter how hard, my eye is always drawn back to the center. Normally, since the title is the second thing I notice, this wouldn’t be a huge deal since your focal point isn’t ridiculously out there, however, it’s still really hard to look away. Like… really, really hard. If I had to glance at your cover, the only thing I’d see in a moment’s notice is the eye. If that’s what you want people to take away when looking at your cover, then you’ve succeeded. But if that’s not what you want, then you’ve got a problem.

The next thing I see is your title. The title is fine where it is. It doesn’t fall into the bleed, it’s centered and looks decent. (It feels like it’s missing an extra detail or two, simply because the space next to the words looks black and therefore, looks empty, like white space.) The only suggestion is that you make the title silver, white, or black. It’s rare to see a pink title on a sci-fi book and there’s a pretty good reason for that: pink and sci-fi just don’t really fit. Pink doesn’t convey science fiction and aliens, it says romance, summer, girls, etc. etc. That’s why you see a lot of pinks on romance and contemporary books.

After that, I notice the background. And honestly, I don’t know what I’m looking at. I thought it was a stair case, but then it looked like flesh, but then it looked like paint on a canvas… and I really have no idea what it is. Not only that, but it tends to unbalance the image. As a whole, the eye follows across your image in a pattern similar to a 6. That means that the majority of the eye’s focus remains at the bottom half of the cover, where the colors are lighter and more interesting. That isn’t good news for your title, as you want your title to be noticed more than your name.

And lastly, I see your name. That’s mostly because I didn’t even see your name in the first place, the word just blended in with the pinks on the bottom and it took me a moment to realize it was there. So, first suggestion, change the color font. You definitely want something similar to your title, so change them both to the same color. But you really need to change it. And the second suggestion, use a different font for your name. This will break up the elements of the cover and make it more interesting to look at.

And finally, my last total suggestion: you need more text somewhere. A tagline, a quote, something. Your image looks empty with only the two pieces of text trying to balance everything out. You could totally steal my quote from your book, or simply use this, “WOW!” --Everest Neverlynn. And slap it on there. It may not sound like much, but again, it goes back to trying to fill in that void. You have way too much space and the eye and the background are not filling it the way it needs to.

Thanks Everest :slight_smile:

It is a staircase. Darn, gotta go find a better royalty free picture now >.<

For all the help you’ve given me, I DO think I’ll steal one of your quotes on my book.

As always, thank you for your help!

Lol you’re welcome! And sorry, I really didn’t know what it was hahahaha XD XD XD I was like… well, this is an alien book so it might be… alien… flesh??? :thinking::thinking::thinking:

Lol no I get it, I was thinking of trying to add something purple to my cover to connect to the MC but oof. I’ve changed it and re-uploaded it for my book. Currently trying to find a quote from you :stuck_out_tongue:

I believeeeee in youuuuuuu~~~~~

Lol I decided to insert a snippet of the song instead. Sorry Everest, your feedback was just too helpful :stuck_out_tongue:

Lol that’s okay. Do what you need to do. Meanwhile I’ll just be over here.

twerk

Ayyyyy!

What do you think?

24%20PM

OMG THAT WAS AN IMPROVEMENT

The only thing I would suggest is that the tag line is kind of hard to see. Maybe try switching your name and the tag line? Idk. I’m having a hard time trying to figure out where to put it other than on top of the eye.

My problem exactly. Will do the switch, see what it looks like, if not I’ll just leave it where it is lol.

Sounds like a plan to me. :grin::grin::grin: Seriously. Your cover is so much easier to look at now. I understand what I see and everything looks so good together. It’s kind of ridiculous how those quick changes could transform a cover like that.

Hehehe I took advantage of the grey part of the staircase underneath the eye and skootched (is that how you spell that??) the tagline up there and just moved my name down. Mucho better.

53%20PM

Agreed. And since your name is so bold, it holds the contrast of the corner better than the tag line did. Lol. Also, is it just me, or are you wiped out from Christmas??? XD Man, I’m just beat.

Tell me about it, my younger brother woke me up at 6 am because he wanted us all downstairs. I almost fell off my bed and trudged downstairs in full, get your shovel, zombie mode.

Our family didn’t wake up until 7. But I just feel beat. Like, I know I just got over being sick. But do people really feel this bone-tired after being around family, cooking and playing games all day? It’s exhausting. :roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes:

I believe you are talking about the existential form of introvert. These are common side effects of prolonged interaction without a reading or alone-time break.