Want Your Cover To Look Better? I Can Help!!! || Critiques and Graphic Design Advice

feedback-offered
graphics
critiques
help
covers

Genre: Romance/Teen Fiction/Mental Health

Intended feelings: The reader is seeing the MC from outside her POV, which also goes with the title name, even though the book is in Ivy’s POV. The reader should get to feel like she is not someone who easily engages and is not the prototype beautiful or outgoing girl, even though she has a very simple beauty. I want the reader to understand she is lost in her own world of her mind. And I just wanted to add color to emphasize the title, but I’m not a good cover maker and the free program I used is limited, so that was the best I got.

Cover: Final%20Cover%20(3)

Thank you !

Genre: Fantasy

Intended feelings: Well, the book has a lot of politics and morally grey characters, as well as fights and traditional fantasy adventure. It’s also a little bit dark. So maybe I want to convey all that.

Cover:

Genre: Romance between a genderfluid person

Intended feelings: (the feelings that you want your reader to feel when they look at your cover.) love, heartfelt, belonging and sadness

Cover:wattpad

Hey friend! Before I get into the review, I thought I might offer a couple quick suggestions. If the program you’re using is very limited and doesn’t really work for you, try some of these: Pixlr.com, Canva.com, Befunky.com. Also, don’t be afraid to go to a cover designer. There are a lot on here that have the tools that can do the work for you, all you have to do is tell them what you want and they’ll try to give it to you.

Onto the review!

So I’m not sure where you got this image from but I’m going to give you the same warning that I give literally everyone that ever uses a solid, unedited image: be careful. If you won the image, then this won’t really apply to you, but if you don’t own the image then you’re essentially stealing and as you can guess, stealing has repercussions. If you self published, you could end up losing your book. So in general: just be careful or ask for permission.

Moving onto your text… the name at the bottom of the image is excellently placed. You put in a spot where everyone can see it, yet isn’t in the reader’s faces. As for the banner of text though… that’s where you have most of your problems. The background for the banner is lower quality than the rest of the image which causes it to be highly pixelated. (This problem can easily be solved by looking for an image with a higher pixel count. Go to google, put in the image, search, then use the tools to find a larger version of itself.) The text is front and center and easily seen, which is good and probably the most important thing about a cover, but it also looks awkward because of the background that’s been placed behind it.

The background is a focal point, but it’s also really out of place compared to the rest of the image. Had you taken a copy of the girl and put it over a rainbow background, that probably would’ve made more sense than the banner straight across.

And lastly, the word “colorful” is really awkward. It doesn’t really attract the attention or give emphasis on the word like it’s supposed to. If anything, it just blends into the background and makes it harder to see.

If you do decide to revamp your cover, here’s some suggestions that I think you might benefit from:

What emotions you defined in your statement fit with Contemporary. A lot of contemporary covers have a lot of pastel backgrounds and simplifications to them. For example:
fangirl
love
sheets

Or in other words, if you want to stick to a targeted demographic, keep it simple and keep it light. You can use brighter, more neon colors to fill in your “Colorful” part, but this will help you attract the attention of the readers who will be most likely to stay and continue reading your content. Also, small doodles will do the same thing.

Hopefully, this helped. It’s a good start, but it still needs work.

Hi friend! So I’m going to give you a quick heads-up, Wattpad hates covers with red backgrounds. If you try to use this cover on Wattpad, it will probably end up blurring for you. (I found this out the hard way when I attempted to use a red background for one of my covers. Didn’t work so well.)

Alright! Review!

So there’s a couple things that I really like about this cover. 1. It’s very simplistic, it gets to the point and it screams fantasy without overdoing it. 2. The title looks really good and is cohesive with the rest of the image. 3. The placement of the “Herokiller Chronicles” is good as well. It’s right where I would put it if I were designing the cover.

Now here’s the things that would probably need to be fixed: 1. The name, “Roy” is actually lighter (I mean, color wise it isn’t but it appears lighter simply because it’s against the darker part of the cover and it’s unfiltered) and therefore drags more attention to it than the title of your cover does. You can keep it the way that it is, simply darkening the color, or you could shrink the text a little. Either option will do what you need it to do and keep the focus on the title and the bird. 2. You need to write out “one” of the “herokiller chronicles” part. It’s an obnoxious English rule but it’s the way it is. (Tbh you could totally ignore me on this one and pretend you never heard anything about it. I’m just saying it because I’m “reviewing” and therefore it would be morally wrong if I didn’t at least point it out.)

Also, suggestions, but you want stronger “politics” vibes, I would suggest slapping that bird onto a flag. It doesn’t have to be a fancy flag. You could make it look like a torn flag. But that would really get the whole “political” aspect into your cover.

Hey friend! I don’t think I’m going to be able to help you much here. This isn’t a cover, it’s just an image in the format of a cover. To make it a cover, you need things like a Title and a Name at the very minimum. As for judging the image itself, I don’t really get “romance” out of this image. It looks more like a story about a spy than anything else. I don’t really see “belonging or heartfelt in this either”. Again, it mostly looks like a spy story to me.

Hi!!! Thank you so very much for this. I really appreciate the warning, I didn’t think about that. I will be doing something to alter it. Maybe make it into a “cartoon” based.

This all has been extremely helpful. I hope you don’t mind if I post a new version of the cover for you to rate it. When I have it of course… :smile:

Go for it! I’ll be happy to help!

Okay, I’ll do that

I think it’d be fine, but I’ll do that too if I have time.

…shit

I’m not a designer, I have no idea how to do that lol
Thank you for your review. It’s been very helpful.

You’re welcome! I’m glad that helped!

Genre: Romance

Intended feelings: Dream-like and soft, but eye-catching. Calming feelings.

Cover:Night%20Time%20Reveries

New cover done by a designer.
Original Post

Genre: Romance/Teen Fiction/Mental Health

Intended feelings: The reader is seeing the MC from outside her POV, which also goes with the title name, even though the book is in Ivy’s POV. The reader should get to feel like she is not someone who easily engages and is not the prototype beautiful or outgoing girl, even though she has a very simple beauty. I want the reader to understand she is lost in her own world of her mind. And I just wanted to add color to emphasize the title, but I’m not a good cover maker and the free program I used is limited, so that was the best I got.

Cover: Final%20Cover%20(3)

Would love your input!
COVER%203

Genre: Romance

Intended feelings: Light feeling, unfazed, happy feelings? (honestly have no idea)

Cover:
5401761fe0e744668ae9096e49a84877%20(1)

Hi Chara! Sorry it took me forever to reply to this. Tbh I just forgot.

As for this cover, I love the font that you used. It’s very pretty. However, when you say you wanted “dream-like and soft” you need to use a paler pink, or one not so bright as hot pink. Anything with a lot of red undertones will be eye catching but it won’t be the dream-like feeling you wanted and it’s not very calm either. :grimacing:

But as for the actual images and things used on the cover, yeah, it looks pretty dreamy to me. ^.^

Hey friend! I’m glad to hear back from you! And wow! the background for your new cover is STUNNING! There’s really only two suggestions that I have for this image.

1. The font color kind of blends into everything and doesn’t really stick out like it should.
  2. They need to move your name somewhere else. The name and title are usually separated so that it gives equal importance and emphasis on both. They don’t have that same emphasis if they’re squished together.

Hi Ever! No, it’s okay. I forgot I posted here too XD. I see what you mean about the color. I went a little too strong with the pink.

Thank you so much!!!

Hey friend! I like your cover! It really has this sweet, summery, breezy kind of feeling to it. (If you like those kinds of feelings)

As for the cover, there’s only a couple things I can suggest.

1. The Strawberries and champagne part is very clear and legible but the “non fiction-ism” would never be seen here on Wattpad.
  2. You probably need a name somewhere on the cover. You may not think that it really matters, but if you grow to be very popular, it will matter.
  3. Also, I’m not sure if “nonfictionism” is a word. “Non-fiction” is, but I don’t think Nonfictionism is.

Anyway, I think your cover is really pretty and that the fonts really match the theme! Although a fair warning that if you don’t own the image you’re using, if you decide to self-publish the person who own your image can reclaim it and possibly all of your product. So definitely be careful about that.

Genre: Fantasy, High Fantasy, Epic Fantasy

Intended feelings: I wanted a mysterious feeling with a hint of magic.

Damn, yeah I knew the name thing might cause me some problems; I might change it a little later though. (I’ve got some time before I hit anywhere near fame :sweat_smile:) As for the photo copyright, if somewhere in the near future I do decide to publish my book, I’ll make sure photos open to the public domain.

I think the vibes you mention are definitely what I want people to feel looking at the cover, I just no idea how to explain it. Thank you so much for giving me feedback, I really appreciate it and am taking everything into consideration :heart: