Wattpad automatically creates empty lines in my story.

Hi! I have a problem with Wattpad.
When I write a new chapter, I copy and paste the text from Novelist to Wattpad and when there is a double space, two empty lines between two paragraphs, Wattpad inserts another line. The space between the paragraphs is now composed of three empty lines.
It happens everytime and I can fix it, but I need a lot of attempts to do this and I don’t know why sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn’t, I just keep deleting the line and after many attempts it goes away. This time I kept trying for long but it didn’t disappear.
When I try, two things happen:

1. The space becomes a three-line space, when I scroll down the page it keeps going up and down like it’s not sure how many empty lines are there.
  2. The space becomes a two-line space, but a three-lines space creates before the next paragraph that should have just one-line space.

Can someone help me?

I think it has something to do with the fact that Wattpad automatically inserts an empty line when you press Enter. I don’t know how to fix it, though, sorry…

1 Like

Unfortunately, if you’re copying and pasting from another source, there’s not much you can do about it. However, if you write right onto Wattpad, there won’t be any blank lines. So… I suppose you can write on Wattpad and then keep a copy of it in another source? (I’m sorry I couldn’t have been of more help)

1 Like

@IromaVP @Mickey1763 Thanks, I’ll try to rewrite it on Wattpad, maybe it works.

Omg I occasionally have this problem too! Just had it on Monday when I uploaded. I usually write out my story on Microsoft Word and then copy paste it to wp, and rarely it’ll take out lines and replace them with blanks.
I never understood why.
Glad to know I’m not the only one!

1 Like

@HappyKaylaMoon @melanatedmelon @Mickey1763

I’ve also had a lot of problems with pasting from pages (on a Mac). I found that copying into an html editor and then pasting from there solved most of my formatting issues. I still need to do things like centering but at least the line issues were fixed. I think If you make sure your work is single spaced and then cut and paste into any text or rtf editor and then cut and paste from there into Wattpad it will work better.

On another note I had short dream sequences where I originally used block quotes. There was no salvaging that. I instead used a stylized half line to mark entering the dream sequence and a right justified stylized half line to exit the dream sequence.

Anyway if you don’t mind mucking around a bit you can get some neat effects, but honestly the only way to really get something you like is manually and then a lot of trial and error.

Screenshot_20191119-152129

3 Likes

Oh wow, definitely something I’ll look into if it becomes a bigger problem for me. For now it doesn’t happen super often.
sidenote This story excerpt is WILD!! :joy::joy:

2 Likes

Wattpad inserts another line because it is easier to read on screens because of the use of sans-serif fonts and general web design quirks that make the publishing of print media online kinda weird.

From what I’ve seen, you simply allow Wattpad to add the extra line, then delete it after. It’s a pain, but you’re better off letting WP do what it does. There is an actual design reason for it.

A lot of copyand pastes backfire. I copy and paste through prowritingaid.com, which doesn’t screw with the format once I paste to wattpad.

1 Like

I tried.
It gives me a space of two lines, but when I scroll the page it keeps changing from on to two line like it’s not sure how many lines are there.

What program are you originally copying it from?

1 Like

Novelist.

It could be that program that’s causing the problem and doesn’t paste well with others.

1 Like

It’s weird because when I try to change the line I do it in Wattpad, so I suppose it’s about Wattpad.

I write on Wattpad app, and I, sometimes, though this is a rare occurrence, get two lines between paragraphs, no matter how many times I edit and save :confused:

1 Like

That’s very bizarre - I can’t say that’s ever happened to me :slightly_frowning_face:

2 Likes