Wattpad Data Breach (250 million+ accounts exposed)

Haven’t seen a post for it yet here, but haveibeenpwned confirmed this happened.

What my question is why am I being informed by haveibeenpwned that “some” of my account data was leaked rather than by Wattpad themselves? Hmmm.

This was posted almost 5 days ago. Lmao.

Compromised data includes: Bios, Dates of birth, Email addresses, Genders, Geographic locations, IP addresses, Names, Passwords, Social media profiles, User website URLs, Usernames

All of that is now publicly available.

Source: https://haveibeenpwned.com/PwnedWebsites#Wattpad

It wasn’t broadcast by WP that I saw, but it was posted on their website.

They did a huge reset, and locked a ton of people out of their accounts.

12 Likes

Ummmm… I well that would be more concerning if I had any real data on wattpad. My name and birthday I guess.

I would bet that paid/paying users received an email, as they have information of actual importance, anybody around that can confirm that?

4 Likes

Well Christ on a bike, this is news to me too

2 Likes

Also, just to be one of those people. All of this is out there anyways. I worked with big data forever and I could find out pretty much anything about you very, very easily.

Don’t do the DNA tests, kids. Just. Don’t do them.

Edit to say IF YOURE IN THE US AND NOT IN CALI.

Other places have much better data restrictions than here.

17 Likes

I got this email too

Yes, but the question is if Wattpad can’t keep that secure, what else is vulnerable? And why wasn’t I informed? If it wasn’t for being signed up to a third party leak awareness service, I wouldn’t know.

7 Likes

Nothing. Nothing you put on the internet ever is secure.

There’s an artist in New York that can print your face from a cigarette butt found off the street after she sequences your DNA.

This is totally valid, we should have gotten an e-mail and it should have been a front page alert.

11 Likes

Eh, the fact that it is almost impossible to secure data online doesn’t mean sites don’t have an obligation to do everything they can to secure and handle user data. And when they fail, they should inform their users and be transparent (to a degree) about what happened.

12 Likes

Totally, and utterly agree.

1 Like

oh no

I had to reset my password because of it because they locked me out of my account!

3 Likes

Same. And the stupid e-mail would never ever ever come.

Ugh.

3 Likes

Canada… Wattpad needs to get their S H I T together it’s really unprofessional!

2 Likes

A lot of this information can usually be found throughout pretty much any other location on the internet. Uploading data about yourself isn’t safe in the first place, and you’d be shocked at how much of your data is already out there and circulating.

I feel most worried for the people who make purchases on Wattpad and likely have their bank information on here. That would certainly concern me if someone got hold of it. Or if anyone lost their profile completely with all of their stories. I’m not sure what other kind of interest hackers would have in hacking random Wattpad profiles, otherwise, though (except perhaps profiles of already famous authors).

At least Wattpad seems to have reset the accounts that were in question. That’s the best they can do at this point.

4 Likes

This is crazy scary :scream:

I haven’t been locked out of my account and stuff but I really do hope nothing much of mine has been given out. I mean I don’t have anything very much personal but my bio has my country and origin which might backfire on me :sweat:

1 Like

I got locked out but I reset my pas so im fine I guess :sweat_smile:

I got MAD anxiety bcuz i kept refreshing and refreshing and I couldn’t get in

1 Like

Hi, Wattpad has addressed this on their support site.

they’ve addressed this on the support site