Wattpad Launches Wattpad Books, a New Publishing Division to Bring Diverse, Data-Backed Stories to Book-Lovers Everywhere

I believe that number (8000) was only for the Wattpad Next beta and not Wattpad Books. Unless I missed something above/in the article I don’t think they said what the requirements were for picking the books in this program. But someone please correct me if I’m wrong because it’s super late/early where I’m at and my brain could be all jello right now lol.

2 Likes

I believe the have created an algorithm to identify potential books. We don’t know exactly what that algorithm is, nor what factors it emphasizes most heavily.

1 Like

How frustrating!! :rofl:

Eh. As soon as people knew what the algorithm was, they’d try to game it – and that’s not the point. The point is to write the best book you can.

Right now the closest you’re going to come to gaming the system is writing a great YA book and drumming up readership for it to prove it has a commercial attraction.

6 Likes

I was being facetious.

1 Like

LOL. Sorry!

1 Like

That was my understanding too - 8 K. Nothing wrong with your brain1!!

1 Like

I am so excited and hype! My dream would be to get published by them haha :slight_smile:

1 Like

So WP will soon become some sort of publishing house. Is it possible to send them inquiries (in the future) like you would with any other publishing house?

@samantha ^^

I asked earlier in the thread if there would be a way to query, and Samantha answered in post number 12: Wattpad Launches Wattpad Books, a New Publishing Division to Bring Diverse, Data-Backed Stories to Book-Lovers Everywhere

2 Likes

Thank you!

And you were a RITA FINALIST??? Wow. That’s harsh. It just seems more and more self-published is the way to go. I’ve waited 5 months from an editor about a kpop romance I’ve written, and I sent a letter letting her know I’m doing multiple submissions now because I haven’t heard from her. I’m pretty much thinking of publishing it on my own since there is an underground niche for kpop romance right now.

1 Like

I use D2D and the Zon to publish romantic shorts now. Just released a sequel a few days ago. But those are different projects than what I do on Wattpad. I experiment on here, because other editors like something that hasn’t been pre-published already. But I have talked to an agent open to pre-published items, but that’s one of like 15 agents I’ve talked to. That’s through several years of round robin pitches at conferences, meet and greets and pitches to editors at conferences too. In the end, I go back to self-publishing, because I’ve noticed that it just seems to work for me. If I hadn’t done it with my first children’s book back in 2007, I might still be pitching and querying with nothing to show for it. I’ve got over 30 titles now of children’s books and romance, RWA PAN member, and still going strong. So, now I look for imprints or opportunities that work for me and my process, and not try to fit into others.

2 Likes
LOL35 Writing group for women writers aged 35+

Thanks, that is really good information to know!

SEEMS LIKE

(and god only knows, I am probably wrong here)

Seems like the only way Wattpad would publish something that wasn’t mad popular already is if they thought it was quality and they wanted to give their line some sort of cache. (“See, we don’t only publish adolescent formulaic love stories!”)

But the problem with that is, even if you did have a great story very well-written…

How would they ever see you? YOU don’t have 444,000 reads…

1 Like

Hah ha! I’ll never get 8000 reads for this one, so oh, well.

If you put in an application, they will see IT.

Might not get you what you want on the first try, but at least it’s flare you can send up. “Hey! Take a look at this!”

I saw the “Next” one and put my app in there.

I didn’t know there was one for publishing. (Is there?)

No - but there were a couple different things you could request on the Application. As my Dad used to say “A faint heart never filled an inside straight.” so you might as well apply to see what happens.