Wattpad Next Beta January Update ft. Nick

discussion

And as far as cost, I know that some of the books in Next are quite long, and more expensive — but about what those books would be if broken up into an e-book trilogy.

My books on Next are in line with e-book prices for the romance genre (under $4.99).

I should also explain why I’m so interested in participating on platforms that ask people to pay money for content. I’ve been a newspaper writer for a long time. I’ve seen what fully free content does to an industry: it kills it. Acclimating younger readers to the concept that quality books and writers deserve money is an important move, otherwise we will have generations that don’t believe words are worth paying for.

Do some research into the newspaper industry in the United States over the past 25 years. See how it’s been devalued by the concept of free.

This is not dissimilar around the world though.

Art is commissioned and asked for “for the exposure” with no payment. Photographers are asked to do work “for their portfolio.”

Can you imagine going to a car mechanic and refusing to pay them, saying “it’s good for your exposure.”

Or going to get braces and saying “you can just add me to your portfolio!”

I agree, I think that’s why everyone wants to be a part of this program. Its awesome that there is finally an application. I have a question that may seem stupid but I would like to know if and how many people you would like to add to the program.

However may we add and that’s the answer I can give there, sorry

Will you start to add new books to WattpadNext, when coins are avaiable for everyone or also in the current beta?
Will people with Premium still read all Next books for free?

Don’t be sorry that’s actually amazing!

There’s already new books that have joined in the last week. Premium is unlikely to continue that way since it’s about ads but that’s a different team and operation so they may decide to do things with how Premium and Next interact

Wattpad’s slogan has never been “free books”. Seriously, never.
The slogan was “sotories you’ll love” and recently changed to “where stories live”.
Also, Wattpad needed to offer more to writers because they were leaving looking for oportunities to make a living with their work.
moreover, Other platforms were already providing a payment system so it was just a matter of time

Question: How will Wattpad Next interact with Wattpad Books?

They will not, people can be in both, or neither or one or the other, they’re opportunities and, as we’ve said, authors have control over their opportunities, even if they come from within Wattpad. Same with Studios. If they have an opportunity for a TV show for a Next story, that author can look it over and say no, their choice. And so on

@nick let me just say: I admire your patience and your dedication to this program, as well as the way you engage with questions in this thread. Thank you for you hard work. :heart:

Someone already stated this but of course y’all love to react to everything. Thanks for your input but I have my own opinions that differs from others point of view.

ONCE AGAIN FOR THE FOLKS IN THE BACK I AM NOT AGAINST WRITERS GETTING PAID FOR THEIR HARDWORK.:speaking_head::roll_eyes::unamused:

ALSO EXCUSE ME FOR GETTING THE SLOGAN FREE BOOKS WRONG. WATTPAD DOES ADVERTISE THEMSELVES AS SUCH.

unlisted #361

listed #362

unlisted #363

closed #364