Wattpad or Traditional Publishing. Both?

Each genre has a sweet spot for word count for debut writers. That sweet spot is the point where price to produce and sale price is at its most lucrative – which is the least risky for the publisher.

There are books sold for debut writers that are both above and below that sweet spot – but the manuscript has to be THAT much better than one in the sweet spot. Writing above or below makes your job as unknown writer THAT much harder. Not impossible. Just harder.

Yes. Most self-published authors who want physical books will use print-on-demand. There are several companies that do this (Lulu, Ingram Spark, Kindle Direct Publishing - which took over the POD company CreateSpace) The advantage is VERY little upfront costs (sometimes $0), but it comes with a higher per-book price.

You can also do a “print run” (I do), but it’s very expensive and requires a big upfront investment, a warehouse to store the books, and a distribution partner to get them into the retail chain.

Wow! Impressive - I must confess I’ve never got the hang of Twitter, lol

I’ve been using and exploring different hash tags. Wattpad and Fantasy seem to be the two big ones where I get the most reads from, followed by dragons and dragon riding.

The story is also geared more toward introducing children and young adults to dragons, which is something I haven’t really seen much of.

Interesting! Sounds like another thing for my to do list. I just didn’t want to get caught up harrassing my friends with yet another channel for 'buy my book" haha

I’m not sure using a book published in 1865 is a good example for 2018. Size does matter. Generally novellas and short stories don’t sell well. You have to be around 70,000 - 100,000 words in most cases.

Well, I’ll get back to you on this one after I polish and edit A Rider’s Fate. There are some errors I need to fix of course, but slowly getting there before I can publish.

I’m going to continue exploring with the hashtags once I have the story on Amazon. Goal is January 1.

I like that :slight_smile: thank you!

He’s talking specifically about traditional publishing. Books that are too short cost more to produce than the market is willing to pay – hence they don’t sell well. You have more flexibility in your pricing. Self published novellas are doing well, actually.

Is that the date you’re planning to publish? If so, I’d advise having a marketing / business plan (if you haven’t already) BEFORE that to give yourself the biggest chance for success.

I’m actually talking to my mom since she makes $1,000s in sales per month from a few products, some of which are books. :slight_smile:

The required or recommended length is mainly to do with how much (the publisher thinks) the average reader is willing to pay for a book. Everyone in the chain between the writer and reader has their costs and overheads, and a clear idea of how big a profit margin is acceptable. That imposes a limit on how much the publisher can spend on printing each copy of the book, which imposes a limit on how long the book can be before the spreadsheets and algorithms start to say, “We probably won’t make a profit on this.”

If a book is much shorter than the “recommended” length, the price that the reader is willing to pay goes down, but some of the costs stay the same, or don’t go down proportionately. That means the number of copies the publisher has to sell to make a profit goes up. That in turn is why publishers will let Stephen King or JK Rowling publish a novella, but won’t let you or me publish one - or not until we’ve got a track record of novels that sell well, anyway.

It’s not unheard-of for a book that’s much longer or much shorter than the average to get published, but it’s one more obstacle on a path that’s already strewn with them.

The rise of ebooks is apparently loosening restrictions on length, since some of the overheads for print don’t exist there.

Good to hear! Personally for me, I’d think a marketing plan should have started already, if it’s coming out that soon. Preorders, building hype, etc. but again, that’s just my personal thing and what I’d do if I were going the self route.

I’m still considering adding an Epilogue to enroll in KDP but I’m not sure right now because I honestly don’t have that much to add to the story.

Have you read the Dragonrider Chronicles and Dragonrider Legacies series by Nicole Conway? Massively popular YA series and (if I remember correctly) she started off self publishing it and then got snaffled up by a trad publisher.

Fellow Undiscovered Writers 8

Nice!

No, I haven’t, but I’ll add that to my Christmas list on top of the Kindle Fire I asked for XD

My problem is the cover. I’ll have to use something off pixabay until I can find a more suitable image unless I get Christmas money. Luckily, I’ve found an image that would work that has a dragon on it that’s pretty decent quality.

I’d be careful with Pixabay. Not all of their content is correctly uploaded.