Wattpad or Traditional Publishing. Both?

I wasn’t talking about you, I was speaking in generalities. You mentioned that new authors couldn’t write 300,000 words, and my point is many can…but is what they writing any good.

I know a girl who is in her early twenties who started writing at like, 12-13 years old? She’s finished 9 books now, possibly 10 I think, in about ten years. She’s admitted though that most of her early works are poor quality: she was young and she’s been growing after all. She’s edited many, scrapped some, etc. She has a YouTube channel I like to watch. I like her content, she’s aiming to be traditionally published.

Her last video was advice to teen writers to be careful with self publishing, not that self publishing is bad or young people can’t write, but if you’re going to self publish young to make sure your work really is at a level it needs to be. Most teens don’t have the resources to purchase proper editing and cover art, etc, and if it flops it’s hard to erase from the internet. I thought it was great advice to teens. I think Wattpad is a great place for teens to get out there instead of rushing to say, self-publishing.

Great advice :slight_smile: My teenager is on Wattpad with his fantasy work for exactly that reason. I told him it’s a great place to get feedback and share with like minded readers.

@alechutson That’s what I meant.

It’s okay for older writers too… :grin:

I’ve been cautioned by creative writing profs that if you post something online, it’s technically already published so most publishers won’t even take a look at it. I guess it’s something to think about. It’s one of the reasons I only post stuff on here that I wouldn’t seriously look into publishing. Just a thought. That said, wattpad is amazing for improving your writing through feedback.

So missed.

An awful lot of people who post on Wattpad have gone on to have their work trad pubbed.

Super agent Janet Reid commented on this in the last week or two. She said it mostly doesn’t matter. She added that if you post and have low reads, it might have a negative impact. (“Hey, I posted this for free on Wattpad, but no one wanted to read it. Will you give me lots of money for it?”)

If you’re posting for critique and not marketing it to get reads, just say so when you discuss it with an agent. They understand.

The expression “All fur coat and no knickers” springs to mind.

That info is getting outdated. That used to be the case, but more and more we’re hearing from people in the industry that early drafts online aren’t as much of a problem. You might have to take it down, or only keep up a portion of it (like 10%).

Truth be told, if you’re looking to be traditionally published, whatever you post on Wattpad is not how it’s going to look with final edits.

Indeed – and that’s the crux. Put up the FIRST draft, not the one you’re querying!

and @XimeraGrey
oh cool, good to know! That’s a relief, because it’s difficult to send things out when you really have no idea what people think of it. Thank you!

That must be a British expression (knickers). For the life of me I can’t figure out what it means.

The closest I can come up with is that on the outside she looks well-dressed, but she doesn’t have anything underneath. It’s all a mirage.

Pretty much. All show and no substance

I’ve not heard that particular variant before but figured it out and now I am determined to use it in conversation this week. Or work it into a book… lol

I tried but couldn’t find your profile on Wattpad proper. Do you use a different username?

No, he pulled his work ages (and many screen names) ago. It’s much easier to complain that people aren’t reading your work when you don’t post it.

He doesn’t have any of his work on here.

Then what is @SchuylerThorpe still doing on these forums?

I would explain, but I don’t want to get warned by a mod so…