Wattpad or Traditional Publishing. Both?

Well thanks!

Wait, you weren’t getting updates? I placed TWR on hold since it looked like readers lost interest. If you aren’t getting updates, then something is wrong with notifications which wouldn’t surprise me.

Nah uh I’m following too many people so I probably did and lost it( while I was asleep or playing MD) but I’ve seen it just then.

One thing about traditional publishing that’s overlooked — VALIDATION.

When a traditional publisher is willing to risk money on your book, it means someone with expertise believes what you wrote is good.

I have eight chapters up, but I’m taking a break until January. I need to figure out what I want to do at this point.

Right now it looks like Aldonia is possible, and finishing up with edits for ARF so I can publish it through Amazon.

Only 17 chapters so it’s short, but it’s been well received. :wink:

Oh I dont think thats overlooked. Im not ashamed to admit thats big part of my goal with traditional. I have no real delusions i will make money with publishing but to get traditional and earn out any advance? that would be a dream come true for me (well also readership ;-))

Fellow Undiscovered Writers 8

I think people are more set on traditional vs self because they will have the added benefit of a publishing company helping them promote the story, whereas on Amazon you have to do all the work.

If I self publish, would there still be options for having physical copies sold?

Yes, an excellent point.

I think that’s true… I also think it’s naive. Trad pub gives a little bit of marketing help, mainly up to and shortly after launch. Otherwise it’s still on the writer. Writers who think trad will enable them to focus on writing instead of marketing are going to be very disappointed.

I would like to add one more quick thing, and then I promise I’m done.

For those who argue quantity vs quality: Alice in Wonderland was under 40,000 words when it was first published. I think the second version with the Cat scene added around 5,000 more words.

Yes. You can still make a paperback available. Funnily enough I sell more in paperback now than I did when I was with a publisher, and that’s only having them available in online stores as opposed to B&N store placement.

I dont argue quantity small or large. Its all about quality for me personally

Which is why I don’t understand why people insist stories have to be 100,000 words long for Fantasy books if they are going to be presented to a publisher. I’ve seen Wattpaders with much shorter stories get published.

I don’t think any of us were arguing that quantity equalled quality? I think we all have said the same thing, that it totally depends on the story. Under 40k or over 100k, it all depends on whether the words you use deliver what the reader wants :slight_smile:

There were some in previous threads who were arguing quantity was > quality.

Okay so this is a sentiment I see often, and I just want to note…the author’s responsibility in “audience building” is the SAME in both self and traditional.

Keep in mind that if you get a standard advance ($5,000 - $10,000) you get virtually no marketing help from the publisher. If you get a six-figure advance you WILL get some marketing but it’s short lived (a few weeks before and after the release). Keep in mind that the marketing departments are (a) very overworked and (b) have a new crop of books coming out each week. So they can only give you a little attention. You, and only you, will be 100% invested in making the book a success so the marketing will fall on your shoulders regardless of publishign path.

I’ve had a couple of short stories accepted by a small publisher, but believe me, you still have to do nearly all the promo, lol. Validation is good, so is getting the free cover and edit but you still have to do most of the promo yourself, if you have a work with a small publisher - and possibly some of the larger ones from what I hear!

I mean there are industry standards. Adult epic fantasy is meant to have a certain level of complexity to fit the genre. that tends to require more words. If you are under 100k its harder for people to trust your book has that level of intricacy and world building the genre/ readers expects

Yeah, I’ve been promoting the heck out of ARF on Twitter and it’s how I’ve been able to get nearly 10,000 reads in almost five months. I usually Tweet during the evening hours after 5pm.

Yeah i have no delusions about publisher support. lol. Still the fact they are willing to publish would help me motivate more with the validation hehe