Wattpad Paid Stories: What Are Authors Earning?

How much money can an author expect to earn from this site’s Paid Stories program?

Are any metrics available? Wattpad’s “Info & FAQs” publication is vague about the details and no percentages are offered. This…

Writers earning potential is dependent on a variety of things: the popularity of their story, which Coin packs their readers purchase, and how many parts their readers unlock.

…tells me nothing.

Would any authors care to be transparent about what they’re earning from the program?

Hi
I’m curious as well,

1 Like

For sure. A quick glance at the Paid Stories Spotlight books shows some with millions of reads. How do those reads translate in terms of revenue, I wonder.

1 Like

They don’t put it out in the open what a Paid Writer earns and I think it’s logical as I don’t want my salary out either. I believe Paid Writers signed a contract with a statement that they can’t discuss payments online.

2 Likes

What you read on official outlets (like Wattpad’s twitter, on the Paid Stories profile or in the Paid Stories threads) is the only information you’re gonna get at the moment. It’s pretty personal information - like @twirlingwands1 I won’t be discussing my salary either. Neither from my daytime job nor Paid Stories.

8 Likes

Sure it is personal information, but lack of transparency only benefits the payer not the author. It’s how women were underpaid so long in hollywood because no one wanted to talk about how much they were making and studios didn’t want them talking. The better you can compare other payers and other authors the better you can determine your own worth or whether or not you could even earn a living.

12 Likes

I mean, sure, but I still wouldn’t feel comfortable sharing how much I make from the programme on a public forum tbh.

2 Likes

Anyways, it also depends on how long the book is, how many chapters aren’t free, how many books you have in the programme, how big your reach is (like how big of a fanbase you had before joining the programme) and then basically… How many are interested in buying your story. Which you can never truly know before joining.

2 Likes

Take a look at the publishing date of each story. WP Paid inherited from Next, that only debuted this summer. The reads could be prior to that.

2 Likes

It’s true, many reads are from before the books were accepted into the program. A lot of the books in the program had many reads before being asked to join.

1 Like

Whoah, I saw you on there responding to my comment! I agree that this is a really shady, negative business practice, and so I’m going to state the obvious: you won’t make a living off Paid books. If it’s anything like Medium’s Premium thingie (Medium is another writing site geared more towards adults and essays; they have a program where you make your piece available almost only to people who pay for Premium & receive money essentially for each like you get), you won’t earn much more than a cent per Coin, at best.

As a Published Author™, my Kindle Unlimited book gives me less than a cent per page read. I’ll look into my bank account and see a deposit from Amazon that says something like “$0.25.” The vast majority of writer programs do not pay well, so I wouldn’t expect this one to, either.

…which isn’t to say I won’t be applying. Unfortunately, it’s the best we can get–and they absolutely know that.

13 Likes

Right. That’s the thing: at least we know what Amazon KU is offering because they’re upfront about the numbers. Here, who can say whether it’s worth it? Authors, we need facts to make sound business decisions.

4 Likes

Yes, good point. But the question remains: how much do reads earn? How are they measured for payments?

1 Like

That seems suspicious if they don’t let authors discuss payments. Amazon requires no such agreements. You can even check out Mark Dawson (best selling author, podcaster, entrepreneur…) who is very open about his Amazon earnings, sharing in-depth details of the “what” and “why” and “how much” he get’s paid, for example.

7 Likes

Totally true.

Not really. It’s a silly and outdated taboo people have. Here: I earn about $137k (USD) a year at my day job, and anywhere from $70 to $150 per month on Amazon book sales. That’s big money to some people, and obviously small change to others. Am I now at a disadvantage because you know these things about me? No. What’s the fear, then?

17 Likes

Some people are just more comfortable than others… I suppose it’s just a matter of who. Really it does vary so much though, and Im speculating that it’s most of the time some extra spending cash/savongs or money that could help them publish.

2 Likes

You get the facts if you’re approached. It’s not like you sign an agreement before getting all the info, you know? So your business decisions, are safe and sound whether you want to sign up or not

3 Likes

We don’t discuss it because the basis for our earnings, as @AWFrasier already told you, is very varied.
The cost of our books depends on whether it’s marked ‘Complete’ or not, how many chapters it holds, and what kind of coin package the reader purchased.

Also, we want everyone in the program to have a good experience with being part of PS. And so what might be a lot for one of us initially, can suddenly feel like a failure if we made a lot less than others. Not saying it would be the case, but why even go there if it can be avoided, you know?

But I can guarantee you this, none of us would have signed the contract if we didn’t feel we got our fair share of the money. I am happy with my decision. :blush:

6 Likes

And a lot of the reads comes from the chapters that are free. The program isn’t world wide yet, so not everyone even have the opportunity to read beyond our paywalls.

2 Likes

im currently listening to Lost One’s Weeping...

You earn what on Earth off Amazon? Good Lord, I’m jealous. Congratulations!

And what people aren’t noticing is that nobody’s not saying you have to be comfortable discussing your wages. It’s just very distinctly uncomfortable to not be able to. Nobody has to! But the forced silence isn’t good, either. Wattpad clearly has a vested interest in making people believe that the number is higher than it is—particularly teens who have high hopes for this site—so it’s very odd that they ask for submissions without any information about price at all.

... Can you read that child's heart?

blog wattpad twitter

3 Likes