Wattpad Stars program AMA with Samantha

Hi, all! For those of you who don’t know me, I’m Samantha, Director of Creator Development here at Wattpad. It sounds fancy, but what it really entails is helping writers along their journey towards a career in writing. More recently, part of what I do involves managing the Wattpad Stars program! I’ve been seeing questions cropping up around the Community so I wanted to create a space where writers could ask me anything.

Thank you to @xFakingaSmilex and @Lightning_Stryker for putting this on my radar! Have at it, writers. :star:

An acquaintance of mine recently became a Wattpad Star. She was quite surprised (and delighted) but she was also confused because apparently, she didn’t meet one of the conditions to become a Star (40K word novel).

With that said, do you make exceptions to the criteria sometimes?

27 Likes

Can I kick it off? :joy: do you follow writers for a time before inviting them? How does the process look like?

18 Likes

Hi! Im so glad you decided to make this :smiley: Thank you

10 Likes

In rare cases, yes! We’ll make exceptions for writers we feel show immense potential.

32 Likes

Very basic question, but what exactly is the Stars program?

14 Likes

Thanks a lot for this AMA, Samantha :slight_smile: It’s really appreciated =]

14 Likes

@Olivaughn Are you hearing this? You have immense potential, girl! :clap::clap:

11 Likes

Hi! Thank you for creating this thread :dizzy:

I’m aware Stars works off of invite, but is there a certain quota of people you aim to invite each round (going off the 3 month timeline for applications to all programs) or do you simply choose people when you see them?

Does Stars recruit namely off applicants or through scouting?

17 Likes

Hello :eyes: I promise I will document this too. It’ll just take a while as I have no wifi for another week and a load of stuff to do in the first week I do. Hope y’all don’t mind

18 Likes

Invite me into the docs and I can help you start today, Janey :eyes:

6 Likes

do you know how it works?

4 Likes

How docs works?

4 Likes

lemme DM you in discord

4 Likes

Okie dokie

3 Likes

What are your thoughts/stand about writers who write poetry? Do they stand a chance for the Stars program? :slight_smile:

9 Likes

Our processes are mostly internal, but I do try to follow writers I genuinely love – ones who are creating unique content and are great community members. Not unlike the Wattys, we use a combination of data and editorial to select Wattpad Stars. It varies from writer to writer, but we look at things like story growth rate, story concept, writer engagement, etc. We also look at potential for adaptation opportunities. Hope this helps!

34 Likes

So what would it mean if you or your co-worker, Karyn, followed someone?

7 Likes

It means she likes them, duh. :eyes:

9 Likes

This helped, thank you! I, however, am quite nervous as you’ve been following me for a time :joy:

3 Likes