#Wattpad4 November Chat: Productivity and Motivation!

Hi Solangelo-obsessed! This is a community writing chat, hosting by the Wattpad4! Feel free to like and respond to other people’s answers, and to answer the questions yourself!

xo
Rebecca

1 Like

This is excellent, thank you! I’ve only recently started setting goals - one of them is a reading goal. Sometimes for me reading kicks my motivation up to write.

2 Likes

Oh it totally does for me too! I get so inspired by reading. :heart:

2 Likes

I guess I’m here early? Haha. I’m new to the forums, so this is a bit awkward for me.:confused:

Coffee. I cannot say that enough. I’m also doing a thing where I make a deal with myself. By Saturday night I have to reach my goal amount in order to watch the latest episode of a series I love. It may only be 25 minutes long, but I think the episode is worth it!

Take breaks. Plenty of them, but don’t overdo it. I also try to get out of the house every now and then. There’s also my cats. Loving on them helps.

I consider a good day as getting 2k words written. To me, it counts as roughly a chapter in my book since I want to have at least 2k words per chapter. Having a chapter written a day, even if it’s sloppy, is still a chapter. That makes me happy.

Right now, I can’t think of anything off the top of my head as I’m running low on sleep right now. I sort of fell slept the second and third day of NaNo, so I’m playing catch up. I have just over 5k to write right now…:yawning_face:

2 Likes

A1: Ah, gosh, I’m failing at ALL my attempts at staying motivated. Setting a timer isn’t working. Playlists aren’t working. Forcing myself to stay at the computer isn’t working. lol I get better writing done when I’m not think 50K in 30 Days XD

2 Likes

A2: Now, see, I rarely having trouble finishing a story. I hate leaving things undone, so that’s what keeps me going.

1 Like

Q3: Finishing a chapter is good enough for me. My chapters are roughly 2K words, usually. When I don’t finish, see my answer to Q2. :smile:

1 Like

Q4: Actually, Habitminder is an awesome app for alerts that remind you when to get up, stretch your legs, have a bite. It’s great for writers, but it’s cool for everyday life, as well. Such a chirpy little alert, too. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

I have a quick question for you regarding your playlists. Do they have lyrics to them? If so, I recommend trying instrumental music. Surprising enough, without lyrics in the music I find myself writing between because my brain isn’t trying to sing along to the music.

Now, there’s some good artists on YouTube who have just instrumental music and then I try to listen to either my Downton Abbey or David Garrett music, all instrumental.

2 Likes

Q5: At the beginning of October, I started a polyamorous sci-fi novel as a challenge to myself to try something different, but I lost steam. I decided NaNoWriMo was the perfect way to get back to it and hopefully complete it quickly. It’s girl meets girl meets android. Different? Different is good. :wink:

1 Like

That’s a great tip, Solangelo. I sing (badly) out loud to anything with lyrics. Unfortunately, I just hum instrumentals, which is still distracting as heck. XD

1 Like

Ooh, what’s your favorite Asian drama, DNM?

1 Like

I’ve been reading a lot to keep the inspiration flowing!

1 Like

I count a productive day when I write a short bit incredibly good scene between my main characters pertaining to the balance of dialogue and detail once a week. I’d like to write more but can’t due to it being my senior year of college. :heart:

1 Like

I put myself on a time limit. So, I write for 2-3 hours until I reach my NanoWrimo word count of the day, then rest a bit as to not overdue it.

1 Like

Sounds like a good plan! I do the same except I’ve stopped nanowrimo due to being in college. I love your username, by the way.

2 Likes

Well, this year, I’m working on a fanfiction since I have a Beta reader reading over my latest project. My project is for the My Hero Academia fanbase. I’m hoping to make it darker this time around. Like extremely dark, such as killing off a major character or two.

My project is titled Villain Uprising. I already have chapter 1 posted on my page, so for those interested they can go read it.

1 Like

My NanoWrimo project is something new I’m testing out with an LGBT+ theme, specifically boyxboy, but it’s a mystery/thriller! A college student known for being a “troubled boy” on campus, wakes up beside a dead body he doesn’t know, covered in said body’s blood. I’m pretty excited about writing this due to the overall suspense plot with underlying tones of romance.

Thank you! :blush: And I feel you. When I first tried nano in 2017, I wasn’t prepared, so I tried rushing out chapters. Now, I’m just taking it easy to not overexert my myself. So far, it’s working!

Aw that’s awesome to hear! :smiley: