Wattys 2020| help and support group

Hello and welcome to my thread. As the name suggests this thread will be for general motivation, support, and guidance if you are participating in the wattys 2020.

We will discuss and talk about our submissions and anything that surrounds the contest. We aim to improve ourselves before we put our best step forward in the competition. YOu are free to join even if you are not participating in the wattys. Everyone is always welcomed.

Please be kind, supportive and nice in this thread. Please follow the Community Guidlines and at total costs avoid getting this thread closed.

wattys website wattys profile wattys guide bootcamp current bootcamp class bunch of writing resources

more resources will be added in time.

people who might be interested:

@swag_gerism @therealmystique @monique0912345 @DianaTheThird @risen_phoenix @lst-my-shp-sil @YazzWrites

4 Likes

tag yourself!

@lst-my-shp-sil
@YazzWrites
@risen_phoenix
@urbanclassy
@ShadowMoonLycan

reserved!

no one wants to talk? :slightly_frowning_face:

3 Likes

Okay, I’ll break the ice :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Hi, my name is Diana and this is will my fourth time trying the wattys and last time submitting my first book in my series. I honestly was surprised to see that it would be eligible this year. I was already preparing a new novel for this year’s contest.

Edit: can you tag me in the list?

2 Likes

oh yea! i’m 100% down to be here but i’m gonna mostly be off forums tonight doing a little writing stream XD so i’ll check back when i’m done

1 Like

Hi, Diana!
Woah! You tired four times? I would have given up after second.

sure

1 Like

I had that feeling of giving up after not making it the first time, but my stubborn self tried again in 2018 and almost made it. I was one of the shortlisted that year. I tried again with the sequel in 2019 since I didn’t want to add 10K words on the first book; it was already complete and felt that adding extra words would only ruin the book and make those chapters fillery.

I thought it was time to give my series a rest and write a new novel for this year’s wattys but found out my first book would be eligible again. I decided to focus on revising and writing the third installment since the second ended in a cliffhanger and I can’t let my readers suffer by delaying the book.

How many of your books are eligible this year?

And thanks for the tag add :blush:

5 Likes

If we take out the wattpad only clause out then three, otherwise, one. I am not really sure if I will participate, but I am trying. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Let’s hope it’s three to increase your chances :crossed_fingers:t3:

How come?

1 Like

I’m paranoid cause my book’s still ongoing. I dunno if I’ll be able to finish it before submission, tho I want to! >.<

2 Likes

September is far away. You can do it :muscle:t3:

4 Likes

I hope too, thanks :sneezing_face:
But I get a problem, whenever I think of a scene to write, it stretches 2 chapters long : (
It doesn’t seems like filler with I feel like my book would become hella long

2 Likes

I remember that happening to me when I first wrote my first book in the series. There was a certain part I wanted to reach but whenever I wrote a chapter it would get further and further away. I never expected my book to be long. I thought of writing 30 chapters and ended up writing 58 :grimacing:

I’m currently going through that problem again in my third book :sweat_smile:

It’s not a filler if the story is ongoing and you’re not forcing extra words to reach a goal. You just have a long story to tell :wink:

2 Likes

Yeah this happens.
I have intended to keep my book for 60 chapters but I guess it’ll stretch to 90 :grimacing:

2 Likes

I planned 25, but I reached around 42. :grin:

1 Like

I am not confident about my work. I want to put my best work forward and the one I am writing is one of my best works so far. But I am not sure if I will be able to complete it.

1 Like

points to my sad pfp I’m on a social media semi-hiatus because my six-month prolonged tests and test prep and exams that end on Nov 31 have started but I’m still writing! I’d pop by about like half an hour every day around the forums lol

Kinda like a hiatus but not I’m just gonna be limited-ly inactive

5 Likes