Ways To Get Through Writers Block?

You well know the frustration.

It comes time to write, and you can’t produce a single word.

Maybe you’ve tried for weeks, months, or even years. But still nothing comes.

You’re suffering the dreaded Writer’s Block while your writing dream, your story, the message you long to share with the world…and now it all collects dust in the attic of your mind.

If you don’t find a cure soon, you’re going to give up—and your story will never reach the masses like you hoped.

What we call Writer’s Block is really a cover for something much deeper.

Identify that deeper issue and you can overcome Writer’s Block and finally start writing.

The reasons for your block may vary, but some common ones include:

• Timing: It’s simply not the right time to write. Your ideas may need to stew a little longer before writing them down.
  • Fear: Many writers struggle with being afraid, with putting their ideas (and themselves) out there for everyone to see and critique. Fear is a major reason some writers never become writers.
  • Perfectionism: You want everything to be just right before you ever put pen to paper or touch a keyboard. You try to get it perfect in your head and never do, so you never begin.

Well what can I do to get rid of it?
Here are a few ideas to help you work through your creative constipation:

• Go for a walk.

• Eliminate distractions (I use Ommwriter to focus on just writing).

• Do something to get your blood flowing.

• Play around.

• Change your environment.

• Read a book.

• Freewrite.

• Listen to music that feels out the mood of your story.

• Brew some coffee.

• Create a routine. Many famous writers have daily routines.

• Spend time with someone who makes you feel good.

• Call an old friend.

• Brainstorm ideas in bullet points.

• Read some inspiring quotes to get you started.

• Create new covers for your story. It will help you get your ideas turning.

The possibilities are endless, but movement is critical. You need to generate momentum to get out of your funk.

Once you start heading in a direction, it’s easier to pick up speed. And before you know it, your block will be a distant memory and you’ll be doing what you once thought impossible. You’ll be writing .

Hi.

I’m in writer’s block and it’s not a good thing.

I had autism and depression get in the way of my writing.

2 Likes

Hey, Is writing your sole hobby?

You forgot to start another book. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Yes :joy: , that is an option. Just don’t let two many stories and plots cloud the one you wish to focus fully on.

1 Like

Ummmmmm… I am currently having twenty-three works published on watt that are in progress, and… a lot more in my drive… so I think it is too late for me. xD

1 Like

Well I can certainly say that you are the queen on multi story tasking! :joy::joy:

1 Like

I admit, some stories get more love than others. :rofl:

1 Like

There will always be those stories that receive WAY more attention. They tend to be the well thought out stories.

1 Like

I do think out my stories a lot… It is just the thought of getting them written down. Like, I had finished my books more time than once in my head, and ya… it isn’t done on screen. xD

I have that same problem sometimes. I will have the story told over and over again in my head but I just lack the want to write it all down.

Yep!

1 Like

And then it changes and not the original idea.

1 Like

YES! Ill actually go to writing it and it will change.

1 Like

And then you have to mull over it again, but then it changes when you write it down. v.v xD In one story my MC’s love interest was supposed to have like two chapters in his POV. It went from two to three, and I think I have to have it at four chapters. Like why? :rofl: Just shush.

1 Like

I usually have a problem where I know what I want to write but have trouble putting it on paper. I think it’s stress that usually gets me into the writer’s block.

1 Like

OMG! That happens to me all the time! Then when you try to switch over your kinda confused on how to write in the new POV

1 Like

xD That actually doesn’t happen for me… but it is still annoying.

That could be a cause of stress. Lack of motivation follows stress in ones life making it hard to find the will write your ideas down. Maybe try what @RissaleWriter said, make a new story. Maybe just a short story or ideas of when you see something and it inspires you. Example would be writing a small story about a girl who thought she lost her true love and finds out he wasn’t dead at all. Small stories do tend to provide small burst of motivation.

2 Likes

I just wish I had the capacity you have to write that many stories!

1 Like