Webnovel vs Radish vs Tapas vs Wattpad: pay by chapter Premium program

webnovel (both the site and the app) has a lot more readers compare to Radish Fiction or Tapas

from my estimate webnovel probably has around 5 millions readers

it is likely Wattpad’s biggest competitors in the web/app novel space

Wattpad recently experimenting with pay per chapter… I believe a large reason for that is because Wattpad doesn’t want to lose top writers to webnovel / Radish / Tapas that do have a pay per chapter model in which authors can make a lot of money.

I wrote this on the Wattpad Beta Next thread.

it was just a matter of time for Wattpad to launch a premium (pay by chapter) for the top novels

If not, Wattpad will lose top writers to competitors like Webnovel / Radish / Tapas

Webnovel parent company (Qidian) start charging by chapter in China more than 10 years ago. This has enabled thousands of full time web authors. Qidian paid something like $300 million in royalties to authors last year. They are expanding to English with the Webnovel site and app and could prove to be a tough competitor to Wattpad

This is a step in the right direction for Wattpad. With enough paying readers, the top Wattpad authors can make a full time living from writing.

Imagine an author earning $0.04 per chapter per purchase. Each chapter is about 2000-3000 words.

2000 paying readers will earn the author 2000 x $0.04 = $80 per chapter

The author writes about 1 chapter a day. He/she will earn $80 x 30 days = $2400 per month.

Webnovel / Tapas / Radish is using this model and generating a lot of money for authors.

Wattpad must join or get left behind. (AKA top authors leaving Wattpad for sites that pay)

I don’t agree about webnovel. They are based in China where they are the only player – no competition in their space. So yeah, they’re rocking it. But they have major competitors here. So far no one has proven that paying by chapter works particularly well in the regions where Wattpad is a major player. Yes, there are a few authors who are doing well, but just a few.

Wattpad is a different niche, and it has completely different income streams. It might decide that’s a viable income stream… or it might not. It seems to be doing really well with the choices it has made so far.

As for writers leaving… I doubt it cares. This site isn’t where you go to find top quality stories by the best writers. It’s first drafts by newbie writers and people learning their craft. Any who are good WILL likely leave as they reach the stage where they should be selling their work, instead of putting it up for free.

The problem is webnovel, Tapas, and Radish all have the same problem: The bulk of their writers aren’t at the pro level. Why would someone pay to read novels there, when they can read here for free?

Oi!

lol

More seriously:

I come to Wattpad and Tapas as an experienced self-publishing author because all paying outlets for self-pub authors are online bookshops which very few of my target audience demographic actually use. People in the 18-30 age group, for example, aren’t really all about buying ebooks off Amazon or iTunes. They pop into their local bookstore and buy hardcopies, and the opportunities for self-pubs to get physical books into the hands of that audience are approximately zero. We’d have to go trad-pub for that, and some of us just don’t want to go trad-pub. It’s not a quality problem, it’s a control-over-our-own-work one.

So how do we reach that demographic? Well, handily, that age group also enjoys reading serialised works on, say, Wattpad and Tapas. I’ve already earned my royalties for the sales of my books, and I don’t mind using Wattpad and Tapas as part of a wider publishing strategy to attempt to reach a larger audience - an audience who may not be able to afford my books, or who haven’t even heard of them because I’m not in the spaces they are.

I realise there’s hardly hundreds of professionally self-publishing authors on Wattpad or Tapas giving away their books for free, but I’m willing to try it out and see how it goes :slight_smile:

That’s also why I’m here :slight_smile:

I amend: There aren’t many. There are others here too – and you find many of them posting in this club.

But a reader has to find the good books. How do they do that? If I’m going to put in the work to make my work discoverable, I’d rather make it discoverable on Amazon.

Slight detour: Are you targeting teens or adults? Wattpad readers strongly lean to the former.

I’m shooting for that middle ground of 16-25 :smiley:

I’m actually reading a story on Webnovel. You have to unlock later chapters with powerstones, which can be earned by logging in every day, watching an add, and voting. Oh, and convincing friends to join, lol. If you’re patient, and know to begin with what to do, you don’t have to pay to read, but you have the option to spend real money for powerstones so you don’t have to wait.

On the other hand, Wattpad is a sweet marketing tool for published authors. :slight_smile:

i’d like you to read WN’s contract and tell me if its acceptable.

your entire post is filled with important information missing and it is disturbing to read. are you a staff of WN or something like that?

anyway regarding wattpad, it doesn’t matter what they do, because writers are not easily discoverable in wattpad.

any success you’ve had in wattpad, has nothing to do with wattpad. if you were willing to put the same amount of marketing you did on your own blogspot, you’d probably be met with similar success.

wattpad needs to change how they allow new works to be noticed, not make chapters payable.

because even if the entire site becomes pay to read, only the top novels will benefit from it and these top novels would rather get published than become a pay to read work on wattpad.

as for writers on wattpad moving over to WN, thats impossible. because you need to release daily or at least more than 3-5 times a week before your work will get popular.

it’s also interesting how nobody is talking about how tencent owns a huge part of wattpad too.

but yes, i’ve mentioned before in the beta thread that charging readers for chapters is something inevitable.

I wonder if a model like YouTube wouldn’t be more beneficial to Wattpad then paying for coins. Once you hit a certain amount of subscribers, you can choose to “monetize” and that will place ads between chapters, and you get a percentage on every ad watched.

As a consumer, I’m cool with watching ads, even between every chapter for Wattpad level content then paying for coins. I know that model works else where, but I really think that because Wattpad has been free for so long, and set themselves up that way, their demographic is expecting that. If they were willing to pay, I think they’d already be on sites like Radish and WN.

What about people, who do the following/unfollowing schemes to gather more followers? Or people creating fake accounts to follow themselves? Should accounts like these be allowed to earn money without any real content or ‘honest’ followers?

People are always going to try and take advantage, even the coin system is going to have people “gaming” the system. I imagine the subscriber count for entry would have to be pretty high, say 10,000. No one is going to make even 1,000 fake accounts. Even using schemes to get followers won’t translate to revenue if you don’t have content people are actually reading. Subscribers don’t give you the money, it’s the ads. Subscriber count is more of a measuring stick to determine if you even have enough traffic to generate an income. Someone could have less subscribers than another author but earn more because their books are read more.

The money comes from watching ads. If someone goes on a fake account to watch ads on their own stories, that’s not really cheating anyone. It’s not a terribly efficient use of their time, because they aren’t going to be making nearly enough watching ads as a single person to really make a dent: they’ll earn a couple dollars at most as a single entitity. Even if they do earn a couple cents for themselves, they did it by watching the ads, so the revenue was still earned for Wattpad and author. They aren’t stealing the money in anyway, ad was watched, revenue earned.

If YouTube can survive off this system, there must be conventions in place to make it work.

It’s easy to automate the creation of fake accounts and have them generate fake reads and fake views of adverts, unless the website takes steps to stop it, or has systems that look for fake activity to make sure the account holder doesn’t get paid for it. This has been going on ever since the first banner advert appeared on the Internet.

Yes, I don’t disagree. I still think it’s a better option, and even with these things in place, other platforms do it and get around it but having the systems in place. I honestly just don’t think the coin system is going to work for Wattpad, I think it’s too late to get in that game when their brand is built around having this free content. I think the demographic for it is already on radish and WN and other sites and it won’t generate the income expected. This site is known for attracting teen readers and they don’t have the credit cards and means to make the purchase. Rather, they are very invested in places like YouTube because its a model they can enjoy for free but the creator can still get paid

maybe.
i would love to have ad sharing but few sites would be willing to do it. its due to many reasons, as the revenue from ads is unpredictable and difficult to be accountable. i doubt even tech people themselves know how the ad rev is calculated.

however, i am pretty sure that ad revenue is not small today. it should easily be a few dollars for every 1k views. no way its still a few cents which is somehow what the general people believe it to be.

many websites do not speak of their ad revenue to debunk this myth or confirm it, but also nobody wants to share it which is troubling.

so far, i’ve found wattpad to be weird. the only interaction i have had with them is regarding features, and they seem to not want to automate many things and instead talk about how many man hours and difficult it would be for their people to do xx or yy, yet it can be easily automated…

i doubt wattpad would even bother to think of this right now esp since they are just reducing the money they are getting from our content.

I crunched the numbers on Wattpad’s money scheme. I would stand to make more money being indie published than I would having someone pay to read my stuff–chapter by chapter.

And since my work was never popular to begin with…? I would be losing even more money down the road with Wattpad.

It’s not worth the effort or the aggravation–seeing how the majority of readers here only read the first three chapters and dropped the book afterwards. (How’s that for commitment?)

I would be more interested how they would stay committed to larger works? Or would the “three chapter” rule still be in effect?

I’m not saying this to be confrontational or critical, but you should consider that as feedback.

Normally, you would be correct…providing if anyone could tell me what the hell was wrong with the story from that point forward.

“Why did you drop the book after reading only three chapters?”

Nobody would tell me.

Maybe they don’t like the classic “build up” of a really good story, they don’t like the in depth character dynamics, didn’t feel like going on a journey of wonder and discovery…? It could be a whole litany of reasons.

But I do know that it wasn’t because my writing sucked or my spelling and grammar was atrocious or I had numerous mistakes and errors peppered throughout the course of the novel–like everyone else here does.

Or…

They just wanted everything wrapped up by the fifth chapter.

which seems to be the SOP for everyone here who has never read All Quiet On The Western Front or Great Expectations.

Bonus question: How do you squeeze a 308,000 word story line into only five chapters?

I could probably do it this way: A vengeful deity wrecks the world and almost everyone dies in the end. THE END.

That could probably solve most of my problems here on this site, but it wouldn’t net me very many readers.

(I’m sorry kids, but you’re going to have to suffer through reading 164 chapters if you want to get the gist of what’s going on. There’s no cutting corners in my book.)