Webnovel vs Radish vs Tapas vs Wattpad: pay by chapter Premium program

We have a saying here - “never let the truth get in the way of a good story” and it applies to Schulyer, who has created this elaborate fictional tale that bears no resemblance whatsoever to reality. He casts himself as the victim, when in fact he is the one who has bullied and harassed multiple Wattpad users over a period of years. He makes outrageous claims that simply never happened.

He belabours the point about having 100k+ novels as though its some special exception. It’s not. If he had done his research he would know that 100k+ is standard in sci-fi, fantasy and historical novels due to the world building. He constantly bemoans trad as having a 100K hard limit. It doesn’t. Trad will always make an exception for extraordinary books. There are numerous examples of debuts in the 200-300k range. But they key is to have an extraordinary story.

Readers don’t owe you anything. Denigrating reader intelligence because your story isn’t to their taste is not only bad form but incredibly conceited. If you have to explain your story to readers, you haven’t done your job as a writer. If readers stop after a few pages, you haven’t hooked them. If readers find your MC boring, you need to revisit your basics and create empathy with the character. But these are all inconvenient truths that don’t fit his victim narrative.

And yet again an interesting conversation has been hijacked by him and turned into a victim spiel. Perhaps we could all ignore him and continue with the topic under discussion?

Thomas Wolfe. At least according to the movie “Genius” about him working with his editor, Max Perkins.

Wolfe brought his manuscript into Perkins’ office. The boxes almost filled up the office. He thought every word was perfect and needed, but Perkins made him cut much of it. The result was a great book. But, according to the movie, Wolfe thought cutting a single word made his novel weaker and resented Perkins.

When Wolfe changed publishers and had a new editor, his novels didn’t do too well.

Perkins, btw, also edited for Hemingway and Fitzgerald.

Years ago, I started reading “Gravity’s Rainbow.” I gave up. Didn’t understand it.

I once googled it because I couldn’t recall who the author was and found it on a list of the 5 most difficult novels. Thomas Pynchon, the author, actually wrote a book to explain the novel (as did others).

I long ago decided that I would never read a word of Schulyer’s fiction, if he ever publishes any of it. (His posts here don’t count.) He might be a wonderful writer, but the incessant complaints and inevitable derailment of any thread he posts in have built up a picture of a person whose company I would go out of my way to avoid. I would find it hard to put that picture aside while reading anything he’s written, and I don’t want to encourage that sort of behaviour by rewarding it with money.

Me too, Steven.

“Help will always be given at hogwarts to those who ask.”

The same can be applied to wattpad. This thing is a journey and a partnership with everyone long before the story reaches its purchasing audience, if ever. I think if out of 65 million people who frequent here most choose to support not only a story that suit their own taste, which is their right but also an author whose personality is favorable, I think that alone should tell him what he needs to work on. But he wants to be worshipped and that is his problem, not anyone else’s.

But you see, when dealing narcissistic personalities, courage can be conjured from even the most peculiar places. Delusion and conceit are usually symptoms of a larger problem which is much bigger than just being arrogant. The minute he gets a shread, a sliver of compassion he uses it as fuel to continue his abusive program.

We ask the question what does he want? Like Grindelwald, like Voldemort, he wants followers which is very different from just readers. Cult followings probably aren’t the best things for a writer especially if they actually want to continue to grow.

Pardon me while I go puke.

Us not worshiping at your feet doesn’t mean we’re some lower life forms incapable of thought and not worthy of comprehending your supreme G-d tier writing.

Not to mention that simply reading this run-on ladened nonsensical circular ego stroking session makes it abundantly clear that you should not be judging the writing abilities of anyone.

Anyone who thinks that they are above beta readers or critique or editing is almost certainly not worth reading. I’ve found that, regardless of field, the people who think themselves and their work to be perfect are almost always the furthest from it.

Radish has moved a lot toward enticing published romance authors. Radish is good at what it does, but if you’re not writing romance, it’s a hard marketplace to break into. I’ve been part of their Select program writing a almost-new adult thriller and even with front page exposure (and shirtless dude cover lol) it hardly stood a chance against the steamy romances.

Now that Wattpad has decided to take this route, I think it still has a big edge on other competitors because Wattpad has always had the social aspect. The thing that I found frustrating with Radish wasn’t necessarily that I didn’t get the comments (love commenters), it’s that there is no way to promote a Radish work on the app where the readers ARE. It’s difficult to find Radish readers, so it’s very much about trying to convert people into Radish readers, which is a lot of work for little gain, versus on Wattpad, where you can promote your work to people who are ON THE PLATFORM already, you can get more readers for the same effort you might put into advertising for some of these competitors. You’re not always working to convert people onto an app to read your work.

I think to do well on apps like Radish and Tapas, you need to be known in specific genres, and have different skills than you use to get a reader-base on Wattpad. Radish has a different standard of professionality and a lot of authors featured there now are published romance writers who are releasing the books as sort of a co-production not dissimilar to how Netflix and CW tag-team TV series like Riverdale.

I received their reply recently. Rejected, of course.

So no Radish for me.

I don’t write romances so the refusal doesn’t affect me.

I agree with this. Also, there’s one thing that people on these forums don’t talk about when wondering how to get more reads on both Wattpad and Radish: cliffhangers.

If every chapter has a cliff, you’re more likely to gain readers. I don’t mean a cliff as in “She stared into space, wondering what would happen.” I’m talking about HOLY CRAP DID THE HERO JUST DIE?

So, if you’re writing a new book, consider the END of the chapter FIRST, and write to that end (it’s what I do, anyway, and has worked pretty well for me).