Webnovel vs Radish vs Tapas vs Wattpad: pay by chapter Premium program

Their character limit is the reason I havent tried Tapas. I’m very intrigued by it, but conforming to the character limit would be too hard on me so not willing to do it.

Would you say you recommend Radish over publishing on Amazon?

Or do you have your published novels, and then your Radish novels? Like dip into both markets? I’ve been wondering if it would be worth writing a story that’s for Radish.

They’re totally different animals. I have a Radish-exclusive book. I have a Wattpad-exclusive book (The Next book). I have Amazon-exclusive books. Then I have a few others on all e-book platforms.

I think sometimes it depends on the book and the project. Some books sell better in KU, I believe.

That said, my strategy this year for my new series is to release first on Radish, then pull it and put into KU. It’s easier to advertise KU books on Facebook and Amazon, which leads to better sales.

Radish and Wattpad are wonderful in that you don’t need to spend time on marketing.

Thanks for this reply!!

You may have already answered it - but did you have to do anything special to get your stories noticed on Radish? Or does it self-advertise pretty well?

Also, are the royalties from Wattpad and Radish showing a decent return?

That’s awesome you have so much success!!

I joined Radish about a year and a half ago, and one of my early books did really well - and it was a finalist in a big contest. I have a good relationship with them so my books usually get decent promo.

There are some months where Radish is my top earning platform, even over Amazon. In the mid five figures some months when I have a new serial. When I don’t, it’s not as good. Wattpad is too early to tell and I only have one shorter book so far.

As an indie author with work on different platforms, it all adds up. It’s why I wanted to be a part of Next - I’m of the mindset that Wattpad is equal to other platforms and not a stepping stone to other publishing destinations. For me, it’s all part of an overall strategy to reach different readers in different places.

5 figures earning in a good month is an amazing figure.

You are a good example for other authors to strive for.

I’m glad to see more and more web/app authors gaining many more readers and finding financial success for their hard work.

Just to clarify, you make 50k USD a month on Radish?

Sorry. I’ve had surgery this month and am fuzzy. Five figures a YEAR for radish, on some months I do a mid-FOUR figures for Radish, depending on if I’ve released.

Although there was one month where I was close to five figures. I do know other authors who sell more than I do on Radish and who make that much on occasion. It’s rare, but possible.

Radish is interesting, but you have to query them to be accepted.

Do you publish monthly chapters or a single work in chapters?

On Radish, I’ve done two things:

• My book Constant Craving was written and edited. I published chapters three times a week.
  • Then I published a two-season serial 3x a week, but I didn’t have it written and edited in its entirety when I published the first chapters. Because I had a day job at the time and traveled often, I tried to be about 10 chapters ahead.

What is a ‘two-season serial’?

Think of it like a TV show — a telenovela or soap opera spanning two seasons.
Season One: hero and heroine meet, conflicts and sexytime happen, there’s a major cliffhanger at the end involving the hero.
Season Two: Heroine adapts to life without hero, hero returns, major conflicts occur, climax, end with a Happy Ever After

I queried them with my first novel and it was accepted the next day. I might’ve entered in when there was a turnover period, or it helped that I also described my success on Wattpad with A Patriot’s Tale in their information box when you query them.

With your story, was it different from what you had posted on Wattpad? Or did you keep the content the same? Just curious.

It’s a finished book, so it was pretty much the same except it was a final draft and I added titles for each chapter to make things interesting for the reader.

Okay. Thanks for the clarification.

They weren’t interested in my series ‘Horsewomen of the Zombie Apocalypse’, but that’s all I offered them.

I’m still interested in finding out how it works, how it pays.

It might be because of your genre. But then again, A Patriot’s Tale is YA historical fiction though, which isn’t very popular anywhere.

It might also have been you didn’t sell it to them in the way they wanted all writers to do when querying. I’m quite sure they were interested in APT because it was shortlisted for the Wattys, and I had no doubts about adding that piece of information into the information box.

I followed their instructions. However, I have to admit that the Amazon ratings were well down in the mulch layer. I thought that Radish would be a good place to resurrect sales, I don’t think they agreed.