Welcome, horror writers!

Discuss your dastardly deeds (or awesome achievements) here! …or just chat. That wotks too.

3 Likes

I want to write horror but I don’t know what.

1 Like

A killer shadow. Once it passes over you, it fetches you to the underworld…

1 Like

Prompts? idk. CPC just popped in my head one day and I’ve been fleshing it out since.

3 Likes

is there any particular horror theme you enjoy? That’s always a good place to start.

Is there any particular horror movies you enjoy? Inspiration from those could get the juice flowing :slight_smile:

1 Like

Horror theme… I like the stalker ones. Idk why.

Favourite movies: The Thing, The Babadook, Emelie, Mama, and I can’t remember any other movie right now

1 Like

Have you considered thinking of the elements in those films and seeing if you could write something like it? Like, for example, A stalker gone wrong with lots of tension that goes into a twisted sort of sense with the unknown?

Not sure if that might get the juices flowing for ideas or not?

I think what I like the most is the psychology of the character. Like in the movie Emelie. Oh and now I remember, I forgot to add American Psycho in there. I want… I want a story from the point of view of a crazy person. Why? Because he can’t go “oh what I am doing is so wrong”. To him, his actions will be normal and will be presented as such.

1 Like

Trust me, a crazy person is fun as hell to write. Psychological Horror is a lot of fun to write. I’m sure if you went that route, you’d have a blast :slight_smile:

I did try to write a murder mystery with an unreliable protagonist but it didn’t really work out. I don’t know how they would act. And I don’t want them to be the stereotypical, laughing like a maniac kind of crazy. I want it to be subtle, small things. But I don’t know how.

You can introduce it slowly. Or if you write it in first POV, you can make them see themselves as normal, but they do odd habits etc. That’s a good way show that, especially if they convince themselves why it’s normal what they do etc :slight_smile:

Only odd habit so far is that he goes for long walks at the beach for hours each day. (Vital to the plot because the police find a corpse in shallow waters, so they have a reason to blame HIM right away)

You could always add what exactly he’s scouting for and possibly judge the different sizes and shapes of people. Not only would that justify the reason why going to the beach, but it’ll give a lot of character depth with his tastes for what he finds in people

For some reason I have included he hates people looking at him. I don’t even remember why I added that one. He lives as an outcast, and prefers being around nature rather than other people. I kinda want my description to be more vivid when he is around nature. For some reason my lack of ideas had led me to making have internal monologues about the faults of society. It’s so lame

It is the generic outlook on such a person unfortunately. But if you can build the hatred for society into why he takes someone, that might give you a few ideas. Since he’s an outcast, I assume he’d be a good observer. With that in mind, having internal monologue for watching people and judging them based from his ideals would be interesting if there was a twist in his ideals that jump out from the norm.

If that makes any sense?

Yes, it makes sense. I get what you’re saying. I will need to work on it

2 Likes

Kewl. I hope that’s inspired or given you some new ideas :slight_smile:

1 Like

It has, thanks for your help!

1 Like

No probs :slight_smile:

1 Like

I love horror!

I feel like I need more work on my horror stories because they’re not exactly their best, and I originally tried to make a horror novel, but as I continued writing it (my current WIP), it turned into a thriller… There is still a bit of horror added into it, but it’s not a hardcore horror… which was what I was going for. xD

Don’t get me wrong, I love the change, but I’ve just been so excited to get back into writing scary stuff. Haha. I need to write more horror. :smirk:

2 Likes