What are some things I can do to patch the holes in my characters, plots, settings and so on?

K, I’ve been trying to write a book for the better part of 3 years now, NOT ON WATTPAD, and though I’ve improved my skills from when I first started my first draft, I know I still suck at writing. So here’s my question:

I know without a doubt that there are major holes in my story, either in my characters, in the plot itself, or the setting isn’t fully placed. The problem is, I don’t know how to fix it, and I don’t even know where to start looking for them.

Any tips or points I should look for?

The easiest way to find the plot holes and character issues is to find beta readers that will read your story and tell you everything wrong with it :blush:

(And of course, everything good about it too.)

so advertise my story in critique sections?

There is a section just for beta readers. https://www.wattpadwriters.com/c/story-services/beta-readers-needed

If you want, I am looking for a beta reader for my own book and I’d be willing to trade with you.

Another way is to remind yourself what you want to happen, and what had happened. And after a break. Go back and look carefully at your chapters and fix or remove as you see it. Sometimes you have to remove or add chapters.

Also the critique is good.

Do you use story beats or the three act structure?

Some plot holes you can fix by just changing the rules a little. You’re the author, so you don’t have to follow the rules and standards of the real world. 

Also sometimes plot holes can be fixed by actually acknowledging them in the book. If you want your character to do something, but you know there’s a more logical way, just have any character mention it afterward (like “why didn’t you just...”) and then the character can laugh it off or admit that he (or she) didn’t think of it.

I’m not sure why my answers are like that

It looks like the preformatted text option. Did you hit that instead of quote by accident? They are right next to each other.

I probably did. :sweat:
Thanks.

The best advice I can give is to create a new document for each and write out the flaws that you have. That way you can see what’s missing and helps to determine how best to go about correcting flaws that come up.