What are the chances of you buying a book from a WP author? ☆

Let’s say you follow that one writer on Wattpad, you love the stories they share on here and one day they tell you they are going to be published. The stories they shared here will stay there, nothing will be deleted. At the same time, no more new books will be shared unless you buy them from the author. What are the chances of you actually following this person outside of WP? Would you support them or only keep reading what is free, here on WP?

Curious to know what are your thoughts about this :thinking: as more and more people are being published.

4 Likes

If I love their book I’d probably buy it. I love supporting fellow authors, but it also depends… where is It available? How much it is? Etc…

9 Likes

Yup, if I really loved their work and it was self-published, meaning no more than $3.99 or so, then I’d definitely buy it. I won’t pay more than that even for trad pubbed authors now that I’ve discovered Bookbub. (ღ˘ᴗ˘ღ) :heart:애!:heavy_heart_exclamation::heart:

1 Like

Totally, personally i think it’s great to support writers in that way & it does give hope to other writers that haven’t gotten discovered yet.

1 Like

I’ve bought several books from Wattpad authors! I think it’s important to support the authors and creators I like. I prefer buying hard copies only, though.

4 Likes

That’s very interesting. I used to only buy hard copies as well. For me, reading was an experience that went with the touch and smell of a physical book.
I kinda change my stance on it. I mean I, of course, still buy hard copies, but now I read e-books as well as it is the only option for many indie writers nowadays. The industry is totally changing.

2 Likes

I really dislike reading full-length books digitally; it gives me a migraine if I read them for too long. Wattpad works really well for me because the chapters tend to be shorter so my eyes can handle a chapter better and it gives me natural breaks. I understand why a lot of authors publish digitally only, but it makes me sad because I know it’s unlikely I’d be able to read it comfortably

2 Likes

I totally get you on that.
If only it wasn’t so hard to get published ! And even then when you get published, many editors don’t want to take too many risks so they tend to propose e-books and not hard copies.

I’ve bought books from a few Wattpad authors. If I love the story/author, I absolutely will buy their stories…and actually have a signed copy due to arrive sometime in the next week or two. I have even driven 10 hours to attend one of the author’s book release parties.

1 Like

I agree with you both on those two parts especially.

1 Like

@WillowMaey Yeah; I wish hard copies were more common, but I understand why they’re not

@RedOfHearts Yeah! I mean, I read Wattpad books all the time but reading a physical book you can hold in your hands is imo a much, much better and more vivid experience

1 Like

Yeah I totally understand their position as well. It was not a critic. :slightly_smiling_face:

Yep! I’ll also request from my library if it’s not available there, since that’s where I get the majority of my books.

If you want to try ebooks, I recommend the Kindle Paperwhite. It has a different screen than that of computers and tablets. It uses e-ink, which mimics real paper. I can’t read for long periods on other screens, but I can on my Kindle Paperwhite, and it’s so convenient to make the text bigger, different, etc.

3 Likes

it really depends. If I know they’re up to par, sure. But then again, I bought and read The Cellar and absolutely hated it.

Buuuut I’m going to get Pandean’s novel when I have the fundage so…

Most of the time, tho, no. Congrats on being so well-received that you get published, but most of the stuff that HAS been published has not been my cup of tea,

2 Likes

I’ve already bought two. Haven’t had a chance to read one of them because I’m so slow with reading, but I have it.

If I like the author, I will support them no matter what.

2 Likes

0%

may I ask why?

That was just a joke
But honestly, if i am interested on the cover and title, there is a high chance i would like to buy a Wattpad book from author but it depends, i’d really like to buy some interesting books considering i am not a very huge reader, i’d like to try some books with money as well, pretty much all books i’ve read are free and don’t cost money, so i’d buy a book that looks good just to kill some time :slight_smile:

2 Likes

:woman_shrugging: was just asking

1 Like

If the author was one of my favorites, or if the author was one of my friends, or someone who has read my stories or helped me out in some other way, pretty high. I know a few writers on here and other writing sites that I know, without question, I would buy anything they put out.

If their writing was just mediocre and I don’t know them outside of commenting on their own stories and them replying back, I’d be pretty unlikely to buy their future work.

2 Likes