What Creeps You Out?

I’m gathering ideas for my story! I want to know what are some strange things that give you the chills and make you uneasy. It can range from those moments where you feel someone’s watching you or when you’re home alone and just that alone puts you on edge. Spiders? Darkness? Anything! I would appreciate if you explain in what ways it makes you creeped out. I’m trying to write an urban legend based story so the stranger, the better!

Feel free to have fun with it. If you have trypophobia, add it! Anything helps for ideas :smiley:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOjVjc5vJ6I creepy song for inspiratoin maybe? Feel free to share creepy vids in the thread too if you like! Many have already and I think it’s great and aids to the ability to “see” the things if it helps you share. Thanks to everyone participating this thread is a blast to be in!

6 Likes

Being forgotten, and the ocean are my fears. Drowning, suffocation, not being able to breathe.
Also, forgetting about something very important to me, like a significant other or a life-changing experience… idk. Just, watching characters have their legacies drift away into ashes once they die is utterly heart-wrenching, like, they make mark on the world, that chills me to the core.

3 Likes

I can also give you some stuff I put in my psycho-horror poetry story, if you want. It’s preeeetty disturbing and may give you some ideas UwU

1 Like

Ooh my god those are good ones thank you! The part about forgetting something important is super intriguing and fun to play with. And sure! I’d love to hear about your story

Alright! So these things don’t necessarily creepy me out, per se, but I bet things like these would have a profound effect on those who read it!

Torture, not the type of just painful torture, but mental torture as well, especially torture that degrades the person’s sense of self, like, playing with their wants and motivations in a sort of be-careful-what-you-wish-for manner. If your MC got turned into a cat and wanted to be turned back, you could have them be tortured by forcefully removing their feline parts - plucking out their fur, cutting off their ears, strapping heavy plates to their head to force their skull to mold into something more human - something completely and utterly despicable like that would def stir some hearts :frowning:
Reality is really fun to play with, especially if the person seeing something may or may not be delusional, or even real. What’s real, and what’s not, that really messes with some heads ;w;

1 Like

things looking more sinister in the dark. Small out of place noises in your house that sound like something is there but they disappear when the lights are turned on. Seeing birds and animals outside behaving strangely as well as your pet seeming anxious for no obvious reason

Spiders, heights, and fire. they all just freak me out. I mean, with spiders, it doesn’t matter how small it is, I will not enter a room that has spiders in it. With heights and fire, I just start feeling queezy and start panicking

1 Like

I just realized how terrible I sound. I’m really sorry, this is my way of kind of spreading awareness about depression and suicide, it’s really complicated, uh, please don’t think I condone any of this stuff? Thanks eheh

1 Like

Imma have to write the phrase “be careful what you wish for” somewhere on my planning sheet because that’s a great mindset for writing stuff like this! Thank you thank you

1 Like

Insects and other arthropods give me a squicky feeling. They’re cool and they are fascinating creatures, but instinct just makes me have chills

I think getting creeped out by insects is natural though

2 Likes

I hate spiders too. No matter how small I won’t go into the room until I’m sure it’s dead!

1 Like

just think of those genies or somthin that turn people’s wishes against them. Also Ramsay Bolton.

2 Likes

Mice and rats freak me out.

2 Likes

What was terrifying was when I entered the room and a massive one dropped down from the roof. I actually screamed

1 Like

There’s also this trope the centers around nothing - the wait is often more terrifying than the actual event. Using suspense in way that makes people wait for something to jump out, and then have literally nothing jump out, makes people wait indefinitely for something that never happens, keeps them on edge the entire time. A really great trick!

1 Like

I think they’re cute until they’re running around in my basement lol. Definitely make most people freak because they’re signs of worse problems

1 Like

Okay that’s horrifying! My friend once had one on her ceiling and her brother came in with a shoe and threw it at the ceiling and it fell and yeah…

1 Like

This was when i walked into the bathroom. i downright refused to go in there until it was gone

1 Like

They’ve always freaked me out. Nothing gets a laugh like watching a grown man scream like a little girl over a mouse. lol

2 Likes

you’ve been digging around my brain! that’s the chapter I’m writing right now. they’re breaking into their friends house (who’s “dead”) and creepy stuff starts happening but it leads to no be jumpscare lol