What do you consider your biggest inspirations?

Everyone here as different pieces of media that they watched, read, or listened to that majorly impacted the works that they now create. So my question is, what do you consider your biggest inspirations? What things gave you the ideas for your novels?

Personally, my inspirations differ from novel to novel. For the one I’m currently working on, I’d consider Fullmetal Alchemist and one random Warriors Cats fanfiction I read in middle school to be my biggest inspirations. It’s strange how that happens lmao

Criminal Minds :joy:
I was watching an episode about a serial killer and it’s focus was on the victims and the killer.
And I wondered how would someone who was related to the serial killer carry on with their life? How would it affect them?
That’s where the idea was born for the book I’m working on right now.

1 Like

Awesome!

1 Like

The book Guardians of the Flame, the tabletop RPG D&D, the show 13 Reasons, the movie Apostle, and the song by Flogging Molly “If I ever leave this world alive”.

All of that. All of that is Vile.

1 Like

K Dramas :grimacing:
Like the recent kdrama that I watched was about parallel worlds. So I tried using those ideas for my story. That’s it :wink:

1 Like

For me it’s what I’ve read and watched over the course of my lifetime, especially anime. The storytelling and the troupes and the story. I take a lot of inspiration from what I’ve read as it’s rubbed off on me over time. At this point in time, I want to write a few isekai stories and fanfictions for anime that I like since that is what I’m into and what calls to me.

Although it’s mostly with my style of storytelling and description. :sweat_smile:
If ideas and concepts, listening to music or just random sprouts of it.

2 Likes

My stories are mostly inspired by things I enjoyed when I was a kid.

Beastly Little Boy was inspired by Brother Bear as well of my love of wilderness survival stories and transformation stories in general.

The Lost Sweet Tooth was inspired by local fairs I used to go to all the time, as well as the general creepiness of mascot suits.

Quit Bugging Me was inspired by the bullying I dealt with when I was the main character’s age as well as the bayou near my childhood home. It was also heavily influenced by how well I’ve always gotten along with cats (they always seem to seek me out, which was the direct inspiration for the animal companions people have in this stories world).

Sirens and Sprinkles is an outlier because it was strongly inspired by one of my coworkers and the stories he tells. The doughnut store in it is heavily based on one I used to visit every week with my mom though, so my childhood does still have some influence on it.

My current work in progress, which I won’t be posting for quite a while, is based on Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer and Arthur Christmas. As you can imagine, it’s also absolutely loaded with my general love for the Christmas season.

2 Likes

All my fantasy stories are heavily influenced by what genre of movies I watch (I usually snipe through genres for a few weeks and get obsessed with topics before I loose interest. My attention span is limited :joy:). They are also really heavily influenced by three or four podcasts and DnD streams I watch and listen to regular. (One of my ow’s was a fanfic for one, but it was so different I decided to make it my own and remodeled it.)

1 Like

Mostly tvshows/movies and music. That’s what inspire me the most.

1 Like

Lately, it has been the Throne of Glass series by Sarah J. Maas and Lord of the Rings which have inspired me. I’m obviously a great fan of Fantasy and since this is the first Fantasy book that I’m writing, there could be no better inspiration than other Fantasy books written by successful authors.

1 Like

I can get inspiration from anything really. It might be a movie, a book or something random that my eyes land upon.

1 Like

For me it’s always been my friends and the stupid things they do :joy::joy::joy:

2 Likes

For me, it has to be a note that I received just as I began to write my novel, last year I messaged Prince Harry and Duchess Meghan to let them know that they weren’t alone in how they felt, that people support them even if the media and trolls bully them endlessly.

I wasn’t expecting anything back from them, I just wanted to give them something.

However, just after I got my first hate comment on my book, I was really down and wanted to give up, the letter came through from them.

‘The Duke and Duchess of Sussex were extremely touched by your message and send their very best wishes for the year ahead’

I knew then, that as soon as I heard from Meghan and Harry, that I could do anything with my stories and not worry about my dyslexia and nothing was going to stop me, because Duchess Meghan told me from afar that I can do anything.

I even named my main character Cierra’s best friend after her.

2 Likes

Books, Movies, Anime, Real Life.

But the biggest one would be, the lack of something. Like I read/watch something and I think to myself, this is missing something… And that’s where it starts.

It’s like telling a story how it’s never been told before and with my own voice(words) (Obviously, debatable, because out of the billion of art in the world, originality isn’t really the easiest to come by)

1 Like

I’m usually inspired by something I read or watched as well. My last two full length novels were inspired by novels that I read. One left me so sad I couldn’t think straight for a week. I wanted a happy ending, so I wrote a story that gave me the ups and downs along with the happy ending. The other just didn’t tell me the story I wanted to read. I was disappointed by the ending and thinking it could have been done better. So, I wrote a story that appealed to me. I think that’s why that one has succeeded so well. My current work is an Assassin’s Creed fan fiction, so we know what inspired me there. :wink:

1 Like

Call me weird, I get inspiration from my dreams

1 Like

For my current main project, Brandon Sanderson is my biggest inspiration, In particular his Mistborn Trilogy and The Stormlight Archives. Studio Ghibli’s ‘Castle in the Sky’ might also be a major inspiration; I didn’t intentionally model anything in my story after it, but it used to be one of my favourite movies and a lot of elements from it have shown up in my story.

For my current side project, the main inspiration is definitely the manga ‘Nightmare Inspector’, which I read nearly five years ago, as well as bits and pieces from my dreams.

For my previous novel, I read a whole bunch of steampunk books all at once so my inspiration was sort of an amalgam of all of them.

1 Like

The real world. Nothing is weirder or more creative than that.

2 Likes

I’d definitely consider anime and Breaking Bad because of the high-quality of writing attached to those two.

1 Like

The news. Real life.

I mean, I’ve watched a lot of films & TV shows and read a lot of books in my lifetime, so I’m sure they’ve played a part, but for me I get so inspired by real events - it throws up a never-ending list of stuff to write about!

1 Like