What do you know about self publishing?

You know, not everything is about you and your book…which from the rankings looks like no one is reading anyway.

But you do raise a point worth addressing, which is when you self-publish you are also “the publisher” which means you need to consider the market, and in doing so it means some books will have an audience, and others won’t. A self-published author should consider the marketability of a book, and if the audience is too niche, it might not be worth producing.

Online bullying is a very real and serious issue. As you have already been told in the other thread you started on this issue, if you are being subjected to threats you block and report to the appropriate authority.

A number of people checked Wattpad, Twitter, and Goodreads and not a single person is talking about you or your book. There is NO riot or targeted comments at you. There is not a single shred of evidence to support any of your outrageous claims of being bullied. I find it sad that someone takes a serious issue and twists it to cry wolf, trying to drum up attention for their book. Grow a thicker skin and maybe stop trolling people on the internet if you don’t like your online interactions.

THIS!
Please get an editor to check the book before publishing. Your mother or friend is not an option. And yes that will cost money, I know, but it will read much nicer for your poor buyers!

Remember to make a first good entrance, that way if you write a second, third, fourth book people know they can expect something good. Just because everybody can upload a word document to Kindle Publishing doesn’t means you should.

If you make sure your first book is awesome, and maybe yes you make a loss, but it is awesome and the buyers know you are serious. Then guess what, follow up sales have a better chance of following.

And for the rest, keep an eye on the market, what the market wants and what a fair price is. Different prices, different percentages that get to you! Play the market, know the market!

In my mind, the most difficult part of self publishing is knowing when you’re ready to do so. The allure of self publishing is that there’s no gatekeeper – but that’s also its weakness. There’s a WHOLE LOT of crap out there, because people self published before the manuscript was ready.

I am a huge proponent of self publishing, and I think it’s likely the best choice for most books. But, that said, I’ve come to believe that new writers should pursue a traditional deal first. If they can snag an agent and get a traditional deal, THEN they know they’re good to self publish the next one. (Alternatively, if you have a way of getting solid industry feedback that will let you know you’re really ready without jumping on the query-go-round, go for it.)

Given the writing and editing skill to create a publishable (and readable) book, what platform is best for the sort of writer who wants to make work available, but has no desire to seek a large readership, let alone fame and fortune?

I’m not keen on Amazon. I’ve looked at Patreon, but it doesn’t excite me. What about iBooks?

iBooks is a retailer and (just like Amazon) you still need a polished, professional book if you want to attract readers. iBooks is harder to crack than Amazon as you need a concerted marketing campaign to gain visibility and traction there and they only offer instore promotion to top sellers. If you only want one platform to make your books available, Amazon KU is the better option as it allows KU subscribers to effectively read for free.

I believe you need a Mac to use iBooks. Not sure, though.

It isn’t about being available – it’s about being able to be found. Nearly EVERYONE uses Amazon, and to discount it is foolish. Most writers get most of their sales there.

You have to remember that none of these sites are going to GIVE you visibility. No matter where you post your book, you’re going to have to make your potential readers aware of it. Once you do that, you want it to be where they shop. My favorite writer could tell me she posted on iBooks/iTunes, and she would have lost a sale, because I don’t shop there. Or on Nook or Kobo or anywhere other than Amazon.

Question. I’m unsatisfied with my author bio. It just feels to fake (given I don’t have unique life experiences that will attract anyone’s attention). How am I supposed to write a bio when I only work a minimum wage job and no life/professional experience?

Does anyone even read author bios? If you are worried about yours being fake, what about looking at the bios of other authors in your genre to see what they mention? You must have a hobby, favourite movie or book you could mention. You’re not writing a memoir, it only needs to be a couple of sentences. And I’m not convinced that they serve any purpose.

I don’t read author bios. I only read them when they have a huge volume of work. And even then, I look for key traits of their life that matches with the subject of their book.

I’m interested in what happened here?

Okay, nevermind. Forget my previous comment.

That user is a known troll who makes stuff up for attention. We only engage to refute his false statements, otherwise it’s best to ignore him.

I’m kinda new here, so thanks for the info :sweat_smile:

You act like I’ve just suddenly given up on being indie published, @MichaelJSullivan. Did you give up the first week or in the first month when people weren’t reading your books and decided to throw in the towel?

I know you’re too much of an elite author to pay any attention to us lowly writers and authors, but you underestimate me. I may have had a rocky start with my debut novel, but it’s a big book.

I’m not concerned with whether or not people are reading it. I’ve got more pressing issues and worries to deal with other than just one book. But since everyone here is determined to keep me from talking about it, speaking about it, or even using it as a teaching tool for all the younger kids…?

You of all people should learn something about patience and self-respect. The world isn’t going to end for me if I don’t plug my book 24-7. In fact, just today I managed to throw out a modified mini-ad on my Facebook and Twitter page with the following meme:

velocityad

Don’t forget also: 90% of most inexperienced indie authors tend to give up after only a few days of nothing to show for it. People these days are too impatient and lack understanding about the writing and publishing process.

You and everyone here still believe you’re dealing with an amateur! I’ve been writiing for 31 years. And in that time frame I have learned a lifetime’s worth about the writing and publishing process…

By watching everyone else. Including you, including @AlecHutson, @AWExley, everyone. And while I may not have agreed with most of your positions, ideas, and everything else, I’m not concentrating my efforts on making a big splash with the world.

Because the world as I have been finding out on my own isn’t quite ready or able to grasp the finer points or concepts of fiction. Right now, everyone is striving for realism. They want what we write to mimic society as a whole. They want diversity in all things, representation in all things, and they don’t care who they have to go through just to get it.

While that is going on, I have been watching other writers and indie authors either succeed or fail. And I’ve been taking notes along the way on what actually works versus what the industry at large peddles as a panacea to every problem or challenge that us writers and indie authors face every day with a new book.

It doesn’t work that way. As I’ve been saying in the past to a tone deaf audience…? What works for you and everyone else doesn’t work for me. The logistics just doesn’t support my agenda or my intended goals. You believe like everyone else that being a writer and author means nothing more than making money and that’s it.

In the time I’ve known you and everyone else here who claim to be experts on the subject, you never once stressed on the importance of the story. All your focus is on the commercial and financial value of said works. Not the story itself.

That’s why I’m not into the same gimmicks and tricks that everyone else uses to pitch and peddle their novels. I’m trying something a little different than what is commonly known or accepted by the mainstream body as a whole.

So right now–on my day off–I’m not worried about book sales or people reading my stuff. I’m just going through life’s little routines and trying to keep things from going too crazy.

I can’t spend all day worrying about being an indie author and shit like that. In fact, since my book launched, I’ve been more consumed with work than writing or advertising. Or marketing.

Working full time has given me more appreciation for the little things in life. But I’m just as happy as being an indie author.

That’s why I’m not rushing the process. But in the meantime, I get to try out a few things and press on.

That’s exactly what you did. You published the book and it wasn’t an instant overnight bestseller like you kept boasting it would be. Then it got a series of 1-star reviews so you pulled it down from the retailers. I’d call tossing your toys and unpublishing after a couple of weeks giving up.

Which includes you. Since you also gave up after a short period of time and you have demonstrated over and over, that you have no understanding of the writing or publishing process.

WRONG! Honestly you just keep making stuff up to suit your own narrative. In every single thread you hijacked to drone on about your groundbreaking novel you were told REPEATEDLY that you could do what you wanted - as long as you had a compelling STORY. So many people over the years have tried to offer you feedback and you ignored everyone. You have been rude to, and insulted, everyone who has a different opinion to you. You have made rude comments about the lack of intelligence of readers and have been completely tone deaf to what anyone had to say.

Maybe, just maybe, if you had been open minded to critical feedback about your STORY, you might have had a better launch. How sad that even now (with your book racking up the 1-star reviews on Goodreads) that you still can’t open your mind to the possibility that your book is lacking in the story department. Instead you come here, insult Micheal and act like no one ever mentioned story to you when it has been the number one priority that everyone has mentioned.

Um, I checked and the book is still on Amazon though.

He pulled it down in a sulk and apparently just republished it to prove some point or other.

Actually, I believe almost everyone begins their advice in this club with stating that you need a polished manuscript. Of course that means an edited one, but it also means a great story crafted from feedback from critique partners and beta readers. The story comes first, followed by how it’s told.

As someone who’s older than you, my advice is about life, not writing. Don’t be so angry. You’ll live longer and be happier. You can’t control what anyone else does. Only what you do. Did you ever see the movie “Seabiscuit”? Remember when the jockey got cut off and went ballistic and the owner asked, “Why are you so angry?” The jockey said, “He cut me off!” The owner said, “But why are you so angry?”