What got you into poetry?

Not a lot of people like poetry. Honestly, I consider myself a part-timer in liking it. Hopefully, I’ll get better about that. But, anyways…

What got you into reading/writing poetry?

I started in 6th grade. That was the year I was taught what poetry really was, and my class was assigned to write poems about whatever we wanted. I enjoyed it (especially because I got to write about how I didn’t like school and not get in trouble for it). In the same class, we also had a poetry slam for fun one day, and it was awesome.

9 Likes

I started writing poetry aged six. A close family member of mine sadly passed away from cancer so I used poetry as a way of coming to terms with the loss. It’s my favourite writing style and means a lot to me!

2 Likes

My best friend from Wattpad is a poetess and I don’t think I would have gotten into poetry without her :slight_smile: That was around 2 years ago.

3 Likes

I like rhyme, line breaks.
No pressure, no excess milkshake.
More rhythm, more romantic Earthquake.
Everything in between.

For an ex fencer, its easier to be to the point.

3 Likes

From reading a children’s book of poems when I was exactly that: a child :stuck_out_tongue:

I didn’t start writing poetry until I was about thirteen or fourteen though…somewhere around there. And believe me, that was a long time ago XD

4 Likes

You’re probably only asking about poetry to be read on paper, but I write poems that I can later perform out loud as spoken word. I like performing in front of people and having the stage all to myself because it makes me feel important and in control of things which isn’t how I usually feel lol. :lumi:

4 Likes

I started writing poetry at 16 years old (now 18 as of this writing). Expressing myself has always been difficult for me. I found writing to be my best outlet. I tried multiple forms of writing before arriving to poetry. I thought I’d make a good novelist, essayist, short story writer, or playwright. Turns out those fields of writing weren’t for me. When I turned to poetry, it clicked so well for me.

My views on poetry has developed in those two years. It switched between thinking it was hard and easy, mostly somewhere in between. Now, with a greater sense of poetry, I’d say it’s an art that’s so underrated nowadays. People need to be more appreciative of how much talent is put behind poetry, especially with those that write “real” poetry instead of just carelessly spilling their thoughts on paper and passing it off as poetry.

3 Likes

Spoken word poetry is so cool! I’ve gotten lost for hours watching videos of it. I sooo wish I had the courage to do it. And the talent…

1 Like

I agree. “Real” poetry is super underrated nowadays. But I still also feel the “spilling of thoughts and feelings on paper” kind of poetry has its place, too. It can be very healing.

I got into poetry as a means to express how I was feeling and it was much shorter than writing a novel.

3 Likes

i got into poetry after attending a couple of spoken word nights and realising that poetry doesn’t have to follow certain rules if you don’t want it to; that poetry can be anything you want. :blush:

2 Likes

I started writing after taking an english Lit class with a very kind, passionate teacher! I continue writing poetry to help me deal with heartache though. I really haven’t been the luckiest person with love but I do hope through my writing that it helps someone else follow their heart/cope better/live their dreams + it’s a bit of therapy for me :blush:

3 Likes

Emotions, I guess. At some point in my life there were too many going on in me and I didn’t have anyone to talk to

2 Likes

I’m emotional and also I at times see words in bouquets, lol.

1 Like

OK serious answer. I got back into poetry because I wanted to learn how to use words in an efficient manner for when I wrote short stories. But after I decided I preferred poetry over prose, and felt there was a lot in poetry I was missing from prose.

3 Likes

Love of words. I liked reading, so I suppose Maya Angelou, Robert Frost, and other famous poets were inspirational.

2 Likes

Yea Robert Frost is great. Still want to read Angelou.

You should. I haven’t read much by her but what I have is powerful. Her way with words is amazing.

1 Like

I love poetry! and i also love that poetry isn’t constricted to a certain character or a plot. Poetry is a beautiful way to express your emotions and thoughts freely.

1 Like

I’ve started reading and writing poetry fairly recently. Still, there aren’t very many poems I actually enjoy. Most seem needlessly depressing. I started writing it for the sole purpose that it was fast. I was writing novels and was getting sick of them taking so long to finish. I can write a poem in a few minutes given enough inspiration.