What is NaNoWriMo?

Hey friends!

My name is Rose and I wanna know…WHAT THE HECK IS NaNoWriMo? The first time I heard about it, I was thirteen, and even then I had no clue what it was or its importance. But I’m assuming the event is coming up, so I want to know…what is it?

• How can I join in?
  • Is there a specific website for it?
  • Why is it important? What is so important about it?
  • Is it a binding task, as in, do I need to sign something to be part of it?
  • Is it…hard?
  • WHAT IS IT?

Sorry if I sound like a total spaz, but I really have no idea what it is, and all these years I never tried to learn about it. If you can educate me, I would appreciate it, sensei.

XOXO,
Gossip G…just kidding :wink:

NaNoWriMo is National Novel Writing Month! It’s an event that challenges you to write 50,000 words on a novel in November.

There is a website – hell, there are communities all over the place! The “real” website has all kinds of tools and a forum.

Some people love the challenge. Some people don’t write that way AT ALL. You can try it and see if you like it. It’s not important other than a sense of accomplishment if you finish it.

No, you don’t have to sign anything binding. It’s no big deal id you don’t finish. Is it hard? Well, it’s fewer than 2000 words per day, but November is the beginning of the holiday season. So depends on how you write!

It’s just a challenge. Lots of people use it as motivation to finally get some solid word count on the page. Some use it to instill discipline. Some use it as an excuse to write something fun and different – a month away from their WIP.

Use it as benefits you!!

5 Likes

Thank you for responding! I’ve been dying to figure out what the heck it is, so it’s a relief to finally know so I can figure out whether I want to do it or not.

50,000 WORDS?!?!?! Wooo that’s tough, especially as a college student juggling 50,000 things, but hey, with the right motivation and grit, I’m sure I can do it :wink:

2 Likes

You can do it! Last year I was desperate to join, this year I’m planned and ready to go! I find instagram and twitter really helpful for motivation, other writers tend to put on inspiring quotes, writing prompts or songs to help other writers. Good luck if you do get involved! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

I participate every year, just to force myself to focus on a project, and except for the first year, I usually drop out after about a week since it sucks getting up at 5 to get my word count in before work, lol. The time I finished it, I posted the chapters straight away on WP and had a lot of reader support, so that gave me a motivational boost. My local NoNo group was also very active that year (you can join them through the website) and it was a lot of fun to go to the write-ins and meet other authors.

It’s an honor system since you record your own word count and there is no shame in failing. It’s really just an event where you can test your limits. Some authors love it, some feel it stifles their creativity because of the pressure. You really have to try it out to see if it works for you.

Here is the link to the website:
https://www.nanowrimo.org/

3 Likes

NaNoWriMo stands for National Writer’s Month, and its a 30 day challenge to write 50K (one novel).

NaNoWriMo Site

It’s a fun challenge for writer’s of all ages! It challenges you to aim for that big 50K and get that novel finished!

You’ll need to create an account, but if you lag, or decide not to finish, no worries! It’s only for the month of November, but it’s every year, and there’s Camp NaNoWriMo which features flexible word counts as well as editing or revision goals in April and July.

All depends. I don’t think so, but 50K can be a lot for some people. It breaks it down into manageable chunks, though. :grin:

1 Like

I know what it is, but what’s the point? Can’t say I understand.

So, what’s WIP then?

Work In Progress :dizzy:

1 Like

Some people find it hard to write regularly. Nano helps them with that. Or, they need a team around them to spur them into writing a novel in a short timeframe. It’s like a bootcamp for writers.
I tried it once, but I’m already bootcamping myself all the time, so no real need. And chatting with the other authors became far more important than the rest…
It all depends on what you need to write.

4 Likes

It’s a big enough event to have an impact on querying. I’ve seen several recommendations to avoid querying your well-crafted book in December because agents are swamped by a deluge of stuff from NaNoWriMo writers.

3 Likes

True! I heard this as well! However I find NaNoWriMo is about just getting the writing done. I think during NaNoWriMo you are so focused on getting x amount of words you don’t really focus on the grammar etc, so it quite brave to query a NaNoWriMo project in December but that is my opinion.

1 Like

NaNoWriMo is an event where you write 50,000 words in November—where you write that many words in 30 days.

You can go to the website—NaNoWriMo—make an account (it’s free) to help track your word count.

It’s important because it’s an excuse for writers to push through their manuscripts and try to write or finish a novel. You can continue writing a book you’re working on, but the word count you currently have doesn’t count. Like, if you’ve been writing a book for a few months and it’s currently at 23,000 words, it doesn’t count toward the goal. You’d have to write a total of 73,000 words in order for the 50,000 words in order to win.

Not really. I mean, you can just do it yourself without using the website, but the website helps because you can track your daily word count and even use the forums for talking to other writers who are participating in the event. Otherwise, there’s no contract, no money involve, or anything.

Oh yeah. It’s hard. xD In order to win at the event (in which you can see these goodies for when you win), you have to write 50,000 words in a single month. That means you’d have to write around 1,666 words a day or 7,142 words each week. Because life is busy, it’s hard to push through and get it done. And for those who live in America, it’s even harder due to the holidays (Thanksgiving) where family comes over and you get nothing done in a few days.

Because of this, there’s a lot of people who fail at it, but that is perfectly okay because there’s always next year.

I definitely recommend watching bytheBrooke and Kate Cavanaugh on YouTube for their NaNoWriMo videos because it’s really insightful, encouraging, and interesting to watch. :wink:

It’s hard to push through the project when you’re juggling everything in life (family, school, work, social life…) to a point where a lot of writers end up putting writing on the back-burner until they never truly write. This is why many people who say they want to be writers or want to write a book actually never do because they’re not trying to write. It’s understandable when life is really busy, but there’s thousands of writers who write with full-time jobs, go to school full-time, have families, etc. and still get it done somehow. So, in the long haul, the event helps those kinds of writers who are in those writing slumps or need a way to push through their manuscript whether due to being busy or because they’re editing it too much (where being a perfectionist hurts their chances at winning the event).

Work in progress. I also wrote a list of other random terms here lol.

2 Likes

Besides NaNoWriMo, there is a less intense version. It’s Camp NaNoWriMo. Taking place in April and July, with a goal of whatever the writer wants!

1 Like

Thank you so much for bringing this one up! I’m definitely down for that.

xoxo :rose:

1 Like

It’s an interesting exercise. I didn’t participate in NaNo itself, in autumn I’ve got less time, but I set myself a goal to write a 60 K novel in four weeks. That was super tough, but I did it. It just feels good to have something new to edit!

3 Likes

I’m doing NaNo this year for the first time! If anyone wants moral support, my username is Hail E. Myers!