What is one piece of advice you would like to give beginners in the writing industry?

Drop something.
(In terms of views, editing, ideas, strength, self-respect, etc)

Don’t beat yourself up if your writing feels like trash to you. Very rarely are our first novels and first drafts of the same exceptional. That’s why rewrites exist. That’s why critiques exist. You are the one writing the story, but it is ok to get help from people from others to make it better.

Someday you will feel like no one will read your story and it’s horrible, but I promise there will ALWAYS be someone out there willing to see what you’ve written. Don’t beat yourself up with popularity but focus on putting the best story you can write out there.Even if you are writing only 3 words a day, you are still writing more than people who aren’t. It isn’t a race to finish it fast, but a marathon because your end goal is to finish your book at your OWN pace, not anyone else’s.

9 Likes

Thats really good advice!

1 Like

I think this sums up all of my views

11 Likes

I love this, lol. She’s keeping it real here. :grin: Exactly what happened to me when I was starting out (and still happens sometimes :laughing:).

Additional advice: Read, read, read! Don’t ignore grammar. Keep it consistent. Oh, and expect the unexpected. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Plow through that first draft as fast as you can. Everything else comes later

2 Likes

Yes! Thats the exact same advice I gave to myself when I first starting to write. The first draft is what matters. If you can make it through that then your story has strength :smiley:

1 Like

For my first story actually the first draft is whats up :joy::joy::joy:

1 Like

Just write it! This is my advice for any new authors. Even if you know it’s not perfect, even if you received many comments that points out mistakes. Don’t give up! I believe the most popular authors started just like us, but look at what they turned into. You can be like your writer idol. :heart_eyes:

4 Likes

Sorry to barge in like that but did you mean you posted the first draft?
I am a nervous new writer,please advise me. :blush:

1 Like

Yes even the author for Harry Potter didn’t get famous at first! It took a lot of time and courage until it got the attention it deserved.

NEW WRITERS LISTEN UP!!!

Looking for advice:-I’ll give some too along with these other awesome writers!
-Create unique ideas
-If you’re in writers block just take a break
-Get a real-life editor, other than Grammarly
-Don’t stress about the views it takes time
-Don’t give up on your ideas, keep writing
-Always return to writing when you take a break
-Inspire others, it may inspire you as well

Hope this helped :smile:

2 Likes

What is one piece of advice you would like to give beginners in the writing industry?

42fug2

6 Likes

I did. It’s not something I’d recommend doing because it only worked as I was writing AND uploading a new chapter EVERY DAY! And I a complete pantser. And I really don’t want to sound bragging or anything I seriously mean that; I do tend to have a knack for writing. Again: wouldn’t recommend, but it’s totally possible. You can always hmu in pm if you need help with anything!

3 Likes

Don’t let anybody read your book until you understand what it’s like to really write for you and only you.

3 Likes

Yes, suck it up and get back to work. You just have to write it again, what’s the big deal?

1 Like

Wattpad in a nutshell

1 Like

Yeah exactly, but look at him now? He created a series that is loved by many generations old and new

Story hook is everything. Without a good hook, it won’t matter how perfect the rest of your story is because you need to catch your readers’ attention so they keep going. Don’t start with the weather, don’t start with an alarm clock, and unless you have an amazing reason to do it, don’t start with a prologue. Jump into some action. Someone’s getting punched. The professor just dropped their laptop in a puddle on his way to make an important presentation. The girl’s high heel broke and she’s falling down the stairs. Give us something immediate to jump into.

3 Likes

I LOVE THIS PERIOD

1 Like