What is the fastest you've ever completed a book?

Important: I do not mean this question in any way to be a competition, or want to claim that taking less/more time to write a book makes it better/worse. Everyone on their own time, with their own life. It’s mere curiosity.

39 days for a novella.

2 Likes

I’m not sure what you consider a book, but I finished a short story in four weeks. I have trouble finishing longer stories even though the story flow and plot were already completed in my head.

1 Like

Depends. I wrote the first draft of a novel in three weeks. But it needs edits. So like from starting to finishing a polished piece I could say is done? That takes a lot longer!

1 Like

My novella 50k words took me 6 months but that included a 3 month break of writing too. My shorter stories take a month or so. The novel working on now is already at 7 months minus 1.5 months due to emergency. So average half to a year to write. That’s just first drafts though. Editing/revising and all that is a whole different thing with a lot more time.

2 Likes

I finished my second novel in a year. That’s the fastest I’ve ever written a complete draft, but then again, I’ve only finished two completed drafts so far :wink:

3 Likes

One week but that’s very little sleep and questionable hygiene habits. Typically it’s about a month.

3 Likes

Hahaha, love this.

My family would not agree lol

Fair enough. Basic human needs are not the ones to ignore, hahaha.

Mostly just the hygiene part lol! I crank out chapters and have spoiled my readers. Don’t spoil your readers, they will take over your life. Lol

1 Like

If we’re talking about 2014-2015 me then I finished my first book in like two weeks… all the chapters are 500 words or less. But my recent book took eight months.

1 Like

14 days for a 2.5k short story last year based on a 14th birthday present :rofl:

1 Like

an afternoon.

but it was a short story lol.

1 Like

1 month

Completed draft was around 60k words

Reconstruction took me about a month

122k words.

This is the fastest I have completed a book.

1 Like

Woah!

1 Like

Hahaha, fair enough.

1 Like

Yeah, I just really loved the idea a lot :joy:

The second reconstruction is taking me a while. Though, that one took me about a month original to write, which was around 60k words.

This reconstruction is almost done, it has been around 2 months currently, and right now it’s about 130k to 150k words. 2 more chapters to reconstruct, and one new chapter to add before the book is finished again.

1 Like

Usually, I write about 5K words a week…

The fastest novel I had written so far took maybe half a year to eight months between the first page and the end of the second draft (final, unless I decide to query it). But I was writing something else before I did the second draft.

2 Likes

5k is much more than many writers on here, you’re at a great pace.

2 Likes