What is your motivation/reason for writing??

Hey all!
I’m new to writing and new to WP! I just wanted to know- what is your motivation for writing? Is it for your own pleasure? Do you hope to hit it big with your books? Hope to get published? I’m interested to hear what everyone has to say!

I think for me, I’ve always wanted to write a novel and I have lots of ideas floating around (although I am still a bit scared to share on WP at this point :grimacing: ) Also, of course, one day I’d love to hit it big!

Right now I do it because it’s fun and it makes me happy and others happy. People enjoy my books as much as I do so…it’s a win-win :joy::woman_shrugging:t4: If I hit it big then that’s a plus since it’s hard to become famous like King and Rowling.

Edit: I forgot to say this omg welcome to Wattpad!!

1 Like

I already covered this in another thread.

I’ve been having RP with my characters for 14 y and finally decided to make it touchable and make their stories real and get them out there

Sharing is te scariest, it gets better though, but with every update I get these butterflies again

2 Likes

That’s such a great reason!! Thank you for the warm welcome omg. I can’t wait to check out some of your work!!

1 Like

Wow that’s super cool! I’m similar- I’ve had ideas rolling around for years and finally decided to write them down. One day soon I will work up the courage to post some of my work on WP :joy:

1 Like

You will get there and we’ll be here to support you!
<3

Welcome to Wattpad! :partying_face: :partying_face: :partying_face:
I’m actually a newbie here too (like a bit more than two weeks in)? I started roleplay writing back on Myspace (yeah… I don’t even know if anyone remembers that site, lmfao)… And then it just evolved. It got me through a lot of hard times during my teenage years. It’s just what I love doing the most, I love the power of words, like creating worlds and characters from 0. And also English isn’t my native language, so I also fell in love with English – A LOT.
I actually worked as a copywriter for a few years, and now I work as a sort of narrative designer for a gaming company. So, basically my life is writing.
BUT I joined Wattpad as I finally decided to like write and finish a proper book and I felt like this might be the perfect place to meet like minded individuals and get some feedback and such… I think it’s a very warm and welcoming community so you shouldn’t be afraid! Just go after your dream! :purple_heart:

2 Likes

Hahaha Myspace! Yes! :joy:
What great reasons you have! Also It is so cool that writing has become your life, I envy you!!
Already it seems like a great community that I’m excited to be a part of!!

1 Like

sjshhhshs just letting you know, my first book was HORRIBLY written…although it did help me gain more of an audience. I still have to edit and take out all the cringey stuff. :joy: My second book is way better though. :pleading_face::ok_hand:t4:

1 Like

Aw, thank you, but it was a mixture of luck and being in the right place at the right time, and just sheer determination from my part. The thing I’ve noticed in RL is that a lot of people never actually went after their dreams because they thought they were too far fetched or they just kind of dragged themselves down. So, what I’ve been doing is trying to make all my friends believe they can do more. I’m like that person people would call delusional, but then, you can’t achieve anything if you don’t try, you know? There’s a lot of ups and downs, and I have moments when I doubt myself and when others attitude gets me down, but I push through it. I just think people need to believe in themselves more, because in reality, you don’t need anyone else to believe in you but yourself. My parents HATED me writing all the time, and constantly berated me that I’d get nowhere in life with writing – and now I earn my paycheck because of it.
Basically what I’m saying is just post your story! Don’t let your own insecurity keep you down. I know it’s super hard, but if you just push through that and keep writing, you’ll get better and better and who knows what life will throw your way? Just take every chance you can get and believe that you can do it (even if you don’t see any reason to). :purple_heart: And you’re also welcome to always message me if you need a pep talk, like I said, I tend to be positive to the line of being called delusional. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Haha I’ll check out your current book then! I quickly read the description and it sounds like just my type of book. I am a little bit busy lately so once I take care of some stuff I will definitely take a look at your work! Thanks for being so friendly!! :blush:

1 Like

Haha noooo not delusional at all! I think what you’re doing is great and it definitely will help a lot of people achieve their dreams! We need so much more positivity in this world!
Rn I’m kind of at a roadblock in terms of where I want my story to go next, once I get past that I am definitely looking forward to sharing it with people!
And thank you for the offer! I will definitely turn to you if I need a pep talk!! You’re so sweet!

1 Like

I want to write because i do have a message to convey to people. I have had certain experiences in life and i feel like sharing it with people. especially a way to create awareness among audience regarding mental health. I don’t know about hit or not, but even a single person gets hope after reading what i write, i will be happy. I haven’t wrote on wattpad yet, but I’m working on.

1 Like

Wow! What a great reason! I know that when you post your story, you are definitely going to inspire people. When people write from their heart about things that matter to them, it becomes really special and inspires others to do the same!
Just out of curiosity, why haven’t you put your work on WP?

I used to walk around a lot with stories rolling around in my head. But the problem was they were only certain parts. They were piecemeal and would drive me crazy. Writing is a way for me to flesh out those piecemeal imaginings and feel satisfied with them. It also stops me thinking about them so much until the next story pops into my head and tortures me.

I also like to write things that I wish I could read but can’t find anywhere. Like “I wish a story like this existed… I suppose I could write it.”

1 Like

In the beginning, it was about self-expression, and analysing the world around me through writing.
As I was getting the hang of it, I started desiring to perfect myself in this craft, and, perhaps, one day, publish some works, and leave my own stamp. :slight_smile:

1 Like

The most important reason why I write is to have an outlet for my creativity and the abundance of ideas in my head. I’ve always had a vivid imagination and I love to write down whatever comes to mind and create a story around it, although not all of my attempts were equally successful in the past. :sweat_smile: However, I’m currently writing a story that I feel has been my best idea so far and it has been some kind of escape from reality for me during the past few weeks. Despite being in lockdown, I feel highly productive. :smile:

It would be absolutely incredible if I could turn this passion into a full-time job in the future, but I know that that goal requires lots of time, patience and hard work. Yet, I’ve already shared my work on WP (which is indeed a big step for authors who are still fairly unexperienced) and so far, I have received positive reactions overall. Being a member of this community gives me the confidence to pursue my passion for writing and to improve my skills so that maybe one day, I can make a career out of it.

3 Likes

I write for my own pleasure. I love writing, and seeing how far I can go with my books. My friends are a HUGE motivation that keep me pumped, my current writing group :heart: It helps to have a group to keep you geared up to write. I hope to be published in the near-far future as well - one of my dreams is to just have my book in my hands of words I wrote.

2 Likes

I’m totally the same way. I’ve had ideas in my head for years that have been dying to be put on paper. I totally understand it driving you crazy! That’s how writing can be so therapeutic