What kind of science is in your fiction?

Do you love biology, chemistry, geology, genetics, social sciences? How about physics, psychology, oceanography, neurology, mathematics?
What’s your favorite for including in science fiction?

I love to include a mixture of biology, genetics and psychology into my science fiction writing. It’s so interesting! That may be because I study it though haha, I’m not sure my readers actually enjoy it :stuck_out_tongue:

Since it’s the core of science fiction and they know the story is science-fiction to begin with, they should know what they are getting into, and be up for it.
Here’s one of my favorite videos.

2 Likes

That’s fair! I find that my science fiction novels lack in physics/math components, as I generally don’t have interest in those areas (planets & space pretty much sums it up!). It’s really quite a shame.

1 Like

Astronomy is cool. I find Saturn particularly interesting to look at.
Do you do much with the engineering necessary to do space travel. That’s also interesting.

1 Like

Not in detail - but I learnt the basis of travel to another planet (looking at the Mars mission information), because my novel focuses on the characters inhabiting another planet like Earth. It’s interesting. VERY technical though.

Astronomy, Astrophysics, Pure and Applied Physics, Biotechnology, Computer Science (AI), and Chemistry all in one complex soup in my current story.

1 Like

I’m interested in how to maintain a stable society in such a place. How do they decide on the number of children? Who takes care of the children? How do they manage food, water, oxygen, and shelter?
How do they avoid genetic bottleneck with the accompanying health problems.

How do these sciences relate to the characters and plot?

It’s very difficult! There was a limited number of people brought over from Earth (Children to young adults - especially trained for the struggles that they would encounter on Kepler-168F). The story takes place only seven years after the first inhabitants. There’s not so much of a problem as too many children - it’s more the opposite! People are married off at eighteen years old in order to continue the human bloodline.

As the planet is quite similar to Earth, the children can breathe - but it takes many years to become accustomed to the change in concentration (Carbon dioxide is higher, so many children feel as if they’re slowly suffocating when they first step on the planet). To combat this, people are monitored carefully over their first year of relocation.

Food and medical are jobs almost exclusively to women - as they are required to work around the clock to look after their offspring. The area in which the people live in is surrounded by forest - so they have access to food (though you’re only allowed to eat what is rationed to you). Medical is extremely tricky, as limited technology was sent from Earth. Someone suffering from extreme blood loss, internal bleeding etc will almost certainly die. If there are not enough people to treat you, you simply aren’t treated. Someone with less priority may also switch places with you (they won’t be treated). Because of this, lots of people just don’t go to the hospital.

Water is treated through the process of filtering (through stone and sand kind of structures) and boiling. This is done through a ‘treatment plant’ next to a large lake. All of this is done manually.

Shelter was created through natural resources! As there is limited population currently, there was not much need for large numbers of housing - though, some of the population works exclusively on building and repairing structures.

Astronomy, Astrophysics: Civilian Astronomy, Astrophysics research team.

Pure and Applied Physics: Power in this case fusion, centripetal simulated gravity, power-assisted gravitational slingshot to Uranus,

Biotechnology: Food, clothing, Air water recycling.

Computer Science (AI): AI is a major character.

Chemistry: Ships are made of Carbon metal composites, shielded from cosmic radiation by Ice, polyethylene composite.

Have you looked into the effects of living at high altitudes. This would be similar to what you’re describing. Having been raised at altitude, I can say that this isn’t the effect.

1 Like

That’s a good point. I will definitely check it out now.

That’s is horrible. So the women get pregnant starting at 18, a time when they aren’t quite ready to undergo the rigors of pregnancy. Then they get pregnant as often as possible–constant pregnancy. On top of they are doing the bulk of the work. They have no treatment for hemorrhaging or menorrhagia (e excessive menstrual bleeding)Given these conditions, I predict a high maternal death rate, resulting in more men than women. The orphaned children will be abandon to die.
The women will be picky chose men who can provide for them and their chilidren in case that the mothers die. So most men will be sexually frustrated and so there will be violence as men fight over the resources necessary for “scoring” with the women.
There is no way I’d want to live in such a society.

Here’s my solution for a maritime planet that is slightly colder than earth and with lots of fishing. Early on a perceptive women realized that the above scenario was going to happen. She put rules in place that prohibited women and doctors from fishing. The men continued to fish and to die in fishing accidents. She also instituted reforms which lowered the birthrate and increase survival of children. As a result women got pregnant no more than 3 times. This significantly reduced the maternal death rate. Instead of having more men than women the ratio is reversed with more women than men. Men don’t have to compete to “score” with women, so the society is for the most part peaceful.
Medical care is good. Women live longer than men, so it makes sense to fund medical education for women. It’s a better investment of resources.
I understand that if no birth control is in place(women go for maximum number of children) then the population will expand exponentially. The carrying capacity of the planet will be reached quickly.
Given that this is the 1st seven years though, they are still expanding. My advice to them would be to take it slow. It’s better to get good institutions and practices in place then to reach maximum capacity quickly. I expect that in the future they will face not having enough genetic diversity. My advice to the colonists would be to bring along frozen semen. They might even start off with all women, so that each founding member could gestate children. This would result in greater genetic diversity. It would also help with controlling birth rate and maternal death rate, since women would only be getting pregnant intentionally. The women would be able to get more work done instead of wasting time with children who are likely to die.
This is definitely the type of stuff I like to think about.
Why does the water need to be treated. I would assume that it doesn’t have human pathogens.
What is the ambient temperature of the planet. If this is a comfortable temperature, they may not need much in the way of shelter. Just a way to get out of the rain.

2 Likes

Yes, this society wasn’t meant to be an easy society to live in. The story often reflects on the injustices and weaknesses in their system. I do still need to work on making the horrible corners of society more known though.

I agree with your ideas! They definitely work.

It’s a nice challenge that you have. I hope you get into the problems of pregnancy risks and maternal and infant mortality rates. You could end up with The Lord of the Flies if powerful men are allowed to seize control. Something to consider is comparing Massachusetts Colony and Jamestown Colony. Massachusetts was more successful because it moved entire communities with intact families. Jamestown had wealthy men and their servants.

1 Like

I’m not much of a science fiction writer, but I’m writing a biopunk/horror novel now - and it’s biology and surgery all the way.

If it’s got good solid biology it’s science fiction.

I find all the sciences interesting, so they creep in. My own educational background began with biochemistry, then veered to physics, then computer science, so those ones creep in more.

The story I have up on WP now has a hard sci-fi skeleton in which AIs, genetics, ecology, and geomorphology feature overtly. It’s told through the PoV of a tribal people who’ve long lost their science. They interpret their post-apocalyptic world through pragmatic experience and superstition (some sociology, there), and describe it in ways they understand. So that sci-fi skeleton is clothed in what reads at first like fantasy. What the heck is the scientific basis for a dragon, anyway?

Still scratching my head about how to pitch the result. ‘Fantasci’ isn’t quite right, because in fantasci, like in whatever-punk, the science tends to be ‘sciency’ rather than science-based.

@LizzieNewell I’d like to suggest an edit in your thread title. It should read ‘fiction’ instead of ‘ficiion.’ :slight_smile: