What matters?

Do culture, gender, and or race play a role in what you choose to read? If you have brown eyes, would you read a book written by someone that have blue eyes; would you read a book written by a male if you’re a female. If you’re Muslim, would you read a book written by a Christian? Does things like this matter? Inquiring minds want to know.
Lastly, post a book that you’ve read on here written by someone of a different culture, gender, and/or race, please.

Let the fun began,

Apple
https://www.wattpad.com/user/appledailey

I don’t think it matters to me. I’ve read books by all kinds of people, while I myself is Danish/Faroese and Atheist.

Just pre-ordered a Fantasy book set in an Arabia-inspired setting by Muslim author Hafsah Faizal titled “We Hunt The Flame” - super excited for it.

I also read a lot of books written by either Americans or people from the UK.

As long as the book sounds good, I’ll read it.

5 Likes

Pretty much this exactly. Heck, there are times that I specifically choose to go out of my way to read a book who’s premise/theme directly contradicts/challenges my own personal beliefs because I want to see what they have to say.

Sometimes I think the easiest way to have a civil conversation about controversial topics is through reading a work of fiction that deals with the topic specifically. Honestly, it’s really fun.

5 Likes

No, I pick books based on whether the blurb sounds interesting or not. But sometimes the cultural distance can big hill to climb over, e.g. I did not have the background to understand what the heck was going on in the Satanic Verses.

5 Likes

Good question! I don’t deliberately reject stories, but when I consider what I’ve read, yes, I do notice some biases.

Gender: I’ll follow a male protagonist as easily as a female one. Biased toward cisgender, though.

Race: I’m white and most of the stories I’ve read are white. Occasionally I’ll enjoy a story with nonwhite protagonists, but it’s just not what I’m exposed to (I’m annoyed that I only recently discovered Octavia Butler).

Culture: I’m biased toward “Western Neutral.” Not necessarily America, but it has to be a setting I can relate to. A story about an isolated tribe in the Amazon will have to work much harder to grab me than, say, a shopkeeper in Rio de Janeiro. Because even though I’m not Brazilian, I’ve worked in shops and lived in cities, so I’ll probably laugh at the protagonist’s difficult customer or gossipy coworker.

The last book I read like this was a nonfiction paperback, “Factory Girls: From Village to City in a Changing China” by Leslie T. Chang. It illustrates the experience of being a Chinese factory worker, who has far more agency than we Westerners give her credit for. And while I’ve never worked in a factory, so much of what I use has been manufactured in China that I feel like I should know who’s making it. So if it’s not a life I can relate to, it’s a life that might be connected to mine.

1 Like

Being a gay man, I personally gravitate toward LGBTQ romances, specifically those with a first person narration. I’ve read quite a few books where there was such a lack of representation for that community and, even though they were good books, I found that I didn’t relate very well to a lot of the characters. Only recently, did I start going out of my way to find books telling stories with LGBTQ characters, whether they were written by someone who was LGBTQ or not. To answer your question, I think what matters most is finding either an intriguing story/narrative/world or one that contains aspects that I can relate to such as the characters, perspectives, or otherwise. I don’t think who writes it matters, so long as enough care has been put into the work to get the story across effectively.

4 Likes

I’ve recently noticed myself that I am finding many characters I really like in stories or that I have in mine in more recent works are LGBTQ, and I myself am Bi, I guess I naturally gravitate towards LGBTQ, any good ones you’ve found?

(And no, I definitely don’t or will claim mine to be good, I think that’s up to whoever reads my stuff, I will be trying in the future to get more info to make stuff more accurate, as right now, things may not be.)

3 Likes

Probably the best book I’ve read that’s LGBTQ is Autoboyography by Christina Lauren. Bill Konigsberg has a couple of really great ones such as Openly Straight and Honestly Ben.

I’m also working on a LGBTQ centric story. I think there are a lot of really interesting things and struggles within the community that are worth diving into. In fact, if you’re interested in a great LGBTQ story, WEEKEND starring Tom Cullen is FANTASTIC.

Content is king for me. I’ll read anything that interests me. If the blurb hooks me and the story cover catches the eyes, I go for it. I read genres contrary to my preferred ones just to have an idea of the universe and to learn something from the genre. The different genres make nice conversation ice-breakers too.

1 Like

I don’t think the author is his or her’s work so how the author looks aren’t important for me. When I read, I care about the book the author is presenting, and if the author’s “identity markers” (idk what you call it) reflect in the book, then I’ll read the book if and when that interest me, not because of those reasons but if the book seems good to me.

I don’t particularly read a lot on wattpad, and a lot of the authors stay pretty anonymous on gender, culture, race etc. so I don’t really know. What I am currently reading on wattpad is a fxf story about German folklore called Into the Underwood.

1 Like

For me, those things don’t matter.

If a book interests me, I read it, regardless of who wrote it.

1 Like

I see some celebrities encouraging others to read books from other cultures or races, that is what made me ask the question. I did not realize that race or culture, etc…played a role in what people read. Thank you all for reading and responding to my questions.

Apple

@BeingNeneWilliams Hello! :smile:

Alas, I’m going to have to remove your comment. Asking people read your story, and/or providing a link, is considered self-advertising and is against Club Guidelines

If you would like feed back on your story, feel free to have a look at the Story Services club :smile:

You can also share your story in the Share a Story Club :smile:

Thank you for understanding!

Kay - Community Ambassador :xkaydotx:

I don’t care about who wrote a book, but I do care about who’s in a book.

Sometime’s I’m interested in a certain mix, culture, vibe etc.

1 Like

Books are like movies to me, I will binge watch them if they are good no matter who wrote the store, series…or what have you.

That’s the thing isn’t it?

What’s good is subjective.

I won’t like a high fantasy no matter how highly praised and ‘good’ it is by other people. I just don’t like that genre.

So I do read books I think are good, I’m just very blunt about what I feel is good, and entertaining.

1 Like

Personally, it doesn’t matter, but I am more inclined to read about characters that are more diverse. This is because when I read, I want to learn something new and evolve as a person, and learning about different character’s prespective, especially if they aren’t reflective of my own, is interesting.

1 Like

Why is that a problem?

Because it’s against the Club Guidelines (: there’s only one place to advertise, and that’s in the #share-your-story club :smile:

It’s not a problem to me, I have seen celebrities that are not African American to read books by African Americans, so I looked into it to see what was going on. Apparently, some women say that everyone should support others too.