What or who inspired you to become a writer, and what have you learned about yourself from your writing?

Our characters & the themes of our stories can teach us a lot about ourselves; things we may not have realized if we hadn’t sat down and taken the time to explore the message we plan on sharing with the world (or ourselves). I began writing stories in 7th grade, but since birth, I’ve noticed that I’ve always had a wild imagination. I didn’t take the craft seriously until 2010 and ever since I’ve been hooked. I’m a mega fan of the authors Patrick Rothfuss because of his poetic prose, and Joe Abercrombie due to his wit and humor. I also find myself modeling my writing styles towards those two 'cause well…I respect them both immensely.

What about you? How did you delve into the world of writing, and what (or who) inspired you to partake on this journey?

Nice! Since I was young I always loved to write. Not sure why. And then I loved movies, and thought for awhile I wanted to be a screenwriter. But slowly novel-writing opened up as a much more engaging way to tell a story and learn the craft of writing and prose.

I read Dennis Lehane’s Mystic River in tenth grade and it changed my world. It was the first time I really began to see a book beyond just words on a page telling a story. And I wanted to do the same thing he did to me to other readers.

2 Likes

I write fanfiction and I was really into batim fanfics around the time I started writing and that inspired me to start writing my own fanfics. Writing has been a good way to help me get through some hard times I’ve been facing and I really love transporting myself to those worlds and characters I write about :smiley:

2 Likes

My mom introduced me to Stephen King when I was a kid. Even though I’ve never been big on reading horror and I’m only happy with one of the horror-type stories I’ve written, something about his writing drew me in.

And I remember just wanting to write stories like he did. I couldn’t wrap my head around the fact that you could make money from it, or that there was so much about writing I needed to learn to even start being good at it, I just wanted to tell stories.

And if I hadn’t started reading then I probably wouldn’t be writing today.

2 Likes

Just like you, I’ve always had an enormous fantasy, so I started writing as an outlet for all that creativity. I don’t remember exactly what book brought me to the point of really wanting to write a book myself, but I’ve always been a great admirer of J.K. Rowling (cliche I know). However, I don’t think my writing style resembles hers, it’s always been quite unique. People who read my stories know that I’m the one who wrote it, even when I didn’t tell them beforehand. I’m quite proud of that. :blush:

I have always respected every author who managed to get published, especially those whose books have been translated to numerous languages. I can merely hope to rise to the same level as they’re on one day.

2 Likes

I grew up with a mom that loves reading and a dad who’s natural born storyteller (not writer). They passed onto me a love of novels and drive to tell stories. Even before I knew how to spell, I was trying to by drawing pictures or by acting out in depth plots with my stuff animals and dolls.

Writing’s shown me I have a very dark, twisted imagination, something that doesn’t surprise me. It’s also become something of a therapy. I often find myself projecting my emotions or things I’ve gone through onto the characters, though under different contexts.

Despite my love for it, I have zero interest in becoming a published writer. It sounds way too stressful and, as unlikely as it is I would become a popular writer, the idea of it scares me.

2 Likes

I was always writing - from short stories when I learned to write, to a full manuscript when I was 12 years old. I started to write seriously when I was fifteen, after a teacher read an English assignment I’d written and said “have you ever considered becoming an author?”

My friends have also definitely impacted my writing journey. They’ll sit down with me and discuss characters, plot points etc. A couple of my friends like to joke that I’ll support them on my royalties once I make it big.

1 Like

Right on man! I actually was thinking of dabbling in screenwriting, but like you said, novel writing is a far more engaging way to tell a story. I find the entire art of storytelling - in particular novel writing - a fascinating phenomenon. The way some authors can just lure you into a story with the power of their words. An incredible skill to have once mastered.

2 Likes

You and me both. It’s almost therapeutic when you’re alone & you want to spend time with your thoughts. Writing them down and crafting a story around 'em is soothing to the soul. Do you find yourself writing better when you’re emotional, or do you have to be even-keeled to be able to craft a good story?

1 Like

My story will be unique. I was in IT and when the internet came about I wanted to learn about it. So I decided to learn HTML and about search engines and other things. I thought the best way to learn was by doing so I decided to build a website. But what kind of site? I chose a free story site. But I needed content to put on the site so I wrote short stories and posted them. Once other authors found the site I had plenty of stories, but continued writing. The site is long gone, but I’m still writing.

Way back then I wanted to know if I was any good so I submitted short stories to e-zines. Not contests (although I did one of those with Writer’s Digest) and sold a few. But that wasn’t what I was after.

Then I was contacted by someone who read my stories. He was starting an online comic book site and hired me to write comic scripts. That was awesome. I used to paint when I was younger and I got to use all my creative juices. I didn’t do the drawing, but I had to come up with the plot, characters, dialogue, sound effects, what the artist should draw, camera angle, size and layout of the little boxes on each page (I forget what their called), etc. I loved it, but their venture capital fell through so it never materialized.

Then I thought I would try writing a novel and get traditionally published. I chose one particular large, mid-sized publisher and submitted it to them. The rejection letter had feedback with words about crafting fiction that I never heard. So I googled them and read article after article on writing fiction and read books on the subject as well.

So here I am after all these years now a novelist. My work-in-progress was supposed to be a short story but is now more than 40,000 words so it will end up being either a novel or novella.

2 Likes

Beautiful. What was your first Stephen King book you were introduced to?

Mines was Carrie - which coincidentally enough was his 1st successful published book. After reading his memoir “On Writing” - which by the way is a PHENOMENAL book to have for every writer - he said he made close to I believe half a million dollars (if my memory serves correct). It’s one thing to tell a great story and have readers begging for more, but to be paid handsomely as well is simply a bonus.

1 Like

J.K. Rowling has inspired MILLIONS of readers around the world. Now, if I’m to be honest, I couldn’t get into Harry Potter. It just wasn’t for me, however, with that being said I do respect her life story and what she had to go through in order to succeed. Being a single mother, writing at different coffee shops all the while attempting to put your young daughter to sleep. My hat goes off to her for her work ethic and dedication to succeed. I know the feeling of having a story consume every fiber of your being that you simply have to get it out of you and share with the world.

That’s something I can look up, to draw inspiration from. To go from essentially nothing - to something - to everything, having your characters “slyther” themselves into pop culture, and to create a multi-billion dollar empire, that’s spectacular.

Being a published author is a tough, tough industry to crack, but with enough determination, dedication & focus (DDF), you’ll be rewarded for your efforts.

What genre do you specialize in if I may ask?

1 Like

That’s an interesting take, but I understand where you’re coming from. I always tell people - no matter the industry - always do something that’s gonna sit well with your spirit ’ cause to go against it is asking for major trouble.

IF you ever do decide to change your mind, and become a published author, I’ve no doubt you’d have the capabilities of inspiring someone who’d read your pieces of work.

Just like you, I’ve always had a wild imagination. But when I was in elementary school, I had many assignments where I had to write stories (usually with spelling words or a given prompt). A few of my teachers enjoyed my stories and my parents were impressed with them. My mom and fifth grade teacher especially encouraged me to pursue it, but being the rebel I was and seeing writing as being school work (and being rejected for CW at an art school :no_mouth:) discouraged me from writing prose until I was in about 7th grade.

I started writing poetry when I was in sixth grade after being taught what poetry was. We had a project where we got to write poetry about whatever we wanted to (so I proceeded to write about how I disliked school :laughing:) and we also had a couple of poetry readings/slams in the class, which were so much fun

1 Like

I’m totally on your side for this :laughing: I had the option to write a screenplay as a school assignment but the formatting OMG. Idk how screenwriters have the patience for it. And just like you said, I feel prose is more engaging as it can delve into senses that are difficult to tap into with screen plays, like touch and smell, as well as go more in-depth to the mental state of characters

1 Like

Ive always had a massive imagination, started with drawing and sculpting and the like
after I had a daughter I used to sing and dance while rocking her and telling her stories
to get her to sleep
i came up with a massive world of stories for her (that baby hated nighttime sleeping)
eventually my sister told me to write them down
then she made me
with an avalanche of support
now i write
so yeah
what ive found out is…

Ima Fuckin literary Genius

no but really, found out i just love it…
thats it.

2 Likes

Goals

That’s awesome to see Blayde. Your journey, the disappointments and the fact that you never gave up despite of them. You mentioned after receiving your rejection letter you went back and read a plethora of articles and books on the subject. Could you be so kind and recommend any? I’m always looking for books on how I can improve this craft. The thing with me and my writing, is that I’m never satisfied despite how many times people will say how good (or bad) it is.

I’ll never forget I went to a Sarah J. Maas book signing and when she said when she was writing her first novel, she was writing something along the lines of 15,000 words per day. I’ve A LOT of catching up to do, but then again everyone has a different work cycle and pace they go at.

Is there a specific genre you dedicate your works to, or are you in multiple genres?

That’s awesome! I can only assume you’ve dedicated the majority of your time to writing poetry since it’s something you fell in love with?

Poetry is special & the craft in of itself is not easy to master. But done well it’s like music to the ears.

1 Like

Aha ha. To make it in this industry I think it’s imperative to have a splash (or two) of arrogance. I love it. :laughing:

1 Like