What spooks you the most?

What does everyone find the most spooky? I am not generally swayed by horror tropes, movies, or writing, so I want to know what scares people the most.

7 Likes

This is really ridiculous, but I’m terrified of in-laws. :sweat_smile: I even wrote a whole book about it.

2 Likes

Classic, but I am terrified of spiders. I also don’t like silence.

3 Likes

Bureaucrats, since innovation has never survived within a bureaucracy.

1 Like

Heart break and also falling in love. Does that count?

2 Likes

Man this is a really good question. As a kid and teen i loved horror movies and jump scares it always seemed so exciting. Some of my favorite books were steven king novels like rose red and pet cemetery because they were so spooky. Also movies like jeepers creepers and Freddy Kruger etc… as an adult i find it so hard to be spooked by anything and maybe its just that I’ve watch too many movies but I can see a jump scare coming a mile away. anyone else feel like that?

1 Like

Sure. I’m just trying to get into the depths of humanity so I can scare them the most. I just don’t have a very good reference. For example, I find real tragedies scary, anything logical, but as soon as something supernatural gets involved, I immediately stop caring. However, I know a lot of people are genuinely scared of ghosts and demons.

1 Like

I don’t think jump scares even count as real horror, as being startled is a natural response to something coming at you, and it’s often not based on any true fear.

1 Like

Me too!

Yeah some people are really scared of ghost. And then there are some people who are scared of some unique things. Like in my class there was a guy who is scared of fishes. Like so much scared that if someone makes him touch it, he might even die. And then there is another friend of mine, she is scared of lizard.

I was writing a scene where a character talks about some childhood trauma involving a secret panel in her house. She started wondering whether there might be more, and used to have nightmares about things opening in her walls. It kind of freaked me out, and got me thinking of that kind of obsessive fear. You don’t know what’s there, but you have to check…

2 Likes

I suppose in that situation you could properly jump scare that person by throwing a fish at them. It would be mean, but you could.

Fear of the unknown is always a good one. It’s part of why I think death is so scary for some people, hence the fascination with ghosts and supernatural.

2 Likes

You don’t understand. He’s so much scared of it, like soo much, that he will die if I do that. I won’t even consider of doing it. It’s like a phobia to him.

1 Like

All those quotes about how the darkness isn’t scary, but what could live in it definitely is. I always work myself into a fever thinking about what could be standing beside my bed staring at me.

Oh! Sleep paralysis terrifies me. I’m afraid of ever having that.

2 Likes

It’s so hard to jumpscare someone in a book.

I was being a little facetious. I wouldn’t want to jump scare anyone anyway. I prefer to make readers feel a sense of impending doom.

1 Like

True.

Clowns
Stalkers
Narrow tunnels :cold_sweat:

What if the clown’s a good guy?

You have a valid point i suppose when I was younger I counted it as horror, I have a different outlook on things now. What do you count then?