What to do with rejection letters?

Does anyone do anything with them to make it feel like a good thing rather than bad?

I once heard of someone who made it their goal to “keep trying until I get at least 1,000 rejection letters.”

I’d definitely save them so that if you ever become a famous author you have proof of who rejected you for future articles about you. There must be quite a few publishing firms kicking themselves now for rejecting Harry Potter, for instance. (>‿◠):v:

I hear that Stephen King (I think) used a long iron nail to post all of his rejection letters to a wall. When the first nail got too full and didn’t hold any more, he started using a second one. I think that sounds perfect.

The very first rejection letter I got contained feedback that changed the way I write. It was definitely a good thing.

Out of the 20 plus ones I have received, I have only kept 2: The best one and the worst one.

The best one was from an editor who took my story and inserted her remarks in-between paragraphs letting me know why my story got rejected and what I needed to do to fix it. I never had a chance to re-submit my story to her because by the time I got around to it, they had stopped receiving new submissions.

The worst was from one website. I submitted 7 flash fiction stories to them in 1 day and they sent me one rejection letter for all of them that said “Dear Mister Lind, please stop submitting stories to us. We do not like your work.”

Have a peaceful relationship with them, I guess? They’re proof that you’ve gone and did it. Rejection letters are nothing to be ashamed of.

Well I’ll be Andy, did they say that to you! Awful… just mean and awful!

@SheWhoLovesPineapple I love Pineapples too. I say… “409 did not become 409 until they failed 408 times.” Dig that… I’d keep on going and use it for fuel or self-publish…YOU CAN DO IT!

Ouch. :cold_sweat:

That’s vicious, uncalled for, and unacceptable. I hope they have gone out of business.

oof ouch lol

Seven sounded like a lot but I think there will have been a reason for that approach and, in any case, that response was totally unacceptable, rude and unprofessional. I can only hope they have gone out of business

I don’t know if it’s different in different countries but over here rejection emails don’t give any reason at all why they said no and are usually positive. At the end of the day not everyone will like your work. As soon as some people understand that, the easier writing (and life in general) will become

I haven’t kept a single one. I would rather focus on the acceptances.