What type of governments would you like to see more of and less of in fiction?

I see what you did there.

More TRUE feudal systems with squabbling lords and ladies. That could be either hilarious or dark, depending on what one does with it, and I’m here for the results.

And the classic: anarchy (or just… some anarchy). Like, maybe not large-scale, but just some good old-fashioned chaos.

1 Like

Corrupt or, what I call, bitch ass government. Bitch ass government is when the governing people are too afraid or just refuse to act on problems, forcing others to do so and eventually being replaced. I’m very anti authority.

1 Like

I do think other forms than monarchies and such would be nice, but I think it’s just that monarchies are easier to understand for people and simpler. Like I’m taking a government class, and I don’t understand much, I somewhat am understanding the us government better, bit it’s still really confusing for me (and I live in the us).

Monarchies also can be complicated, but I feel they have a bit more ease in learning them.

Less of the oppressive-because-we-have-power kind of governments.

So cliche. I mean, they are pretty close to some parts of the world today, but I thought fantasy was a means of escape from reality :stuck_out_tongue:

I would like to see a less, dictatorship government in stories. One whose actions do affect the people, but they aren’t really controlling or oppressive. Maybe even a little passive …which is why I’m writing one :wink:

Another novel that I have written actually has a Republic style government because I was tired of writing the typical King/Queen or Emperor/Empress monarchy style governments. It was fun and added a lot of dynamics to the story here and there because of the inherent conflicts that get set up by a system of government where you don’t have one person making most of the decisions.

Probably should be more of that in the realm of fantasy.

1 Like

Arm the children!

Some? Some parts of the world are corrupt? Lol, try most or all. The ones that aren’t are simply good at lying or are more pressed and have to be sneaky. Where there are people in power, there is corruption. xD My dystopia that I want to write someday has a council and a figurehead, puppet monarch.

1 Like

a child-run government would be batshit crazy

I wouldn’t mind more democracies with a twist. Like in Sparta where their democracy was so, so different from what we think of today as democracy.

I was trying to be nice :stuck_out_tongue:

Let me be blunt then: the world is crazy.

1 Like

No more totalitarian communist states or corrupt capitalistic states (I appreciate that this is not really a feature of high fantasy but it… kind of?.. fits into the general speculative fiction genre).

For high fantasy, there have been a LOT of evil empires and monarchies which keep haemorrhaging lost princes and princesses.

I’d like to see more rule by gods (as in literally ruled by gods, not their ambassadors, who can just sort of be there to keep things ticking along and enforce minor laws that the gods don’t want to dirty their hands with). That would be the absolute totalitarian state. Imagine it. It would be like having really OP superheroes controlling the state of things, only you step even slightly out of line and suddenly there’s a chasm to the bottom of the world where YOU once stood. The gods couldn’t really be omnipotent or nothing exciting could happen, unless they put a chip in your brain so they could read your thoughts (cancel it out by wearing a tinfoil hat?) But they are powerful, and they are prone temper tantrums and fits of rage.

Actually, I really like the idea of the tinfoil hat. I might use this someday.

You mean Athens I think. Sparta was a monarchy of a kind.

1 Like

No, I mean Sparta. Sparta is the first historically recognized democracy. Yes, they had two kings, but the kings functioned more how presidents or prime ministers do and less how traditional monarchs do. They also had a Senate. That’s why I said democracy with a twist, haha.

1 Like

Interesting, but I don’t see how it could be called a democracy.

1 Like

It is because it was democratically run. The general assembly was composed of all male Spartan equals. Sparta is the first democratic model and they were practicing their unique form of democracy before Athens.

Well, I’m not sure if I’d call their society really democratic given their caste system, but I agree it should totally appear in more books and stuff!

1 Like

A caste system does not actually matter in terms of what is and is not a democracy. If there is a state that is in some way being run by who are recognized as the majority of the citizens of that state, then it is considered a democracy. Spartan equals were the “true” citizens of Sparta; therefore, Sparta’s general assembly is a democratic model historically. Caste systems fall under issues of human rights, but they don’t have any bearing on what the governmental system is which is why Sparta is taught as the first democracy. I love history and it is full of interesting and unique governmental systems. I really wish something like this would appear more in books. :blush:

That is true, but they also had heriditary kings.

1 Like

Tribal/chieftains haven’t been written much since the mid-2000’s for some reason. It just became unpopular and was (still is) replaced by either:

1. Monarchy,

2. Dystopian governments that turn into revolutions that then turn into a democracy.