What Type of Horror?

What type of horror scares you? Slasher, monster, psychological, esc.

3 Likes

Psychological horror. I’ve never been squirmish around blood and gore, but the suspense it what gets to me.

4 Likes

Paranormal and psychological.

3 Likes

I don’t think any particular type of horror scares me more than another. I’m hard to scare. But things that give off a vibe of ‘this could happen’ scare me more than anything else no matter what type it falls into.

3 Likes

Definitely psychological…things that tap into your primordial fears. Imagine this.

That painting you bought/were bequeathed of the Old New Orleans Mansion at Night, started changing imperceptibly each evening just before bed: First you notice the front door is open a crack, next night, white fingers appear around the door edge, next night you can just make out half a face with black sockets where the eyes should be; next night the figure is starting on it’s way down the path; next night, it’s halfway down; next night, it’s at the edge of the painting; next night…it’s gone but there’s an odd scuff all the way down the wall and footprints on the carpet…

4 Likes

This reminds me of a M. R. James story. And it was scary.

2 Likes

It might be because of all the William Hope Hodgson books I’ve read, but the horror that really gets to me usually involves monsters or the supernatural.

Psychological horror would take a close second. Then again, psychological horror and monster-related horror aren’t always exclusive.

1 Like

Psychological, no doubt about it.

2 Likes

That seems to be the winning sub-genre so far on this thread. What’s the first psychological horror story that REALLY unnerved you?

1 Like

I’m going to go against the flow a bit. I love, love, love monsters! However, I’m kind of picky. Vampires, werewolves, and zombies don’t really do it for me. I prefer the glimpses and hints of the unknown monster.

2 Likes

Probably psychological and slasher combined. I like when the killer or psychopath plays with the victim.

Currently, I like writing horror because I’m allowed to be mean and nasty without hurting any real person.

Typically, I like to omit pull punches and see how far I can go.

I would never write: “Two 10-year-olds walking down a dark path and bumping into Jason Voorhees. The hockey masked zombie scared the kids and the kids ran away and sneak back to their cabin.”

I would write: Two 10-year-old walked down a dark path. One kid got his head lopped off by Jason’s machete. And before his read rolled to the other kid’s feet, Jason sliced the other kid in half."

So if I don’t want Jason to kill off children, I wouldn’t put children into a path where Jason is crossing. One of the things that really bothered me about some of these slasher stories when the killer suddenly have the urge to pull a punch or hold back, only because it seem good not to kill children.

2 Likes

Would you say that “slasher” your favorite type of horror?

I love horror…but the type of horror scares me? Slasher…I hate blood flood …

1 Like

Psychological horror because it feels the most realistic. Like stalking can actually happen to someone. Losing your sense of identity or becoming paranoid of others around you are very real fears.

1 Like

Definitely psychological :+1:

2 Likes

So I love slashers. They are my favorite to watch, I’d say, but the ones that tend to ge to me the most are psychological and supernatural. Psychological gets to me because I can’t imagine being trapped with monsters inside my own head, unable to get away from them. But as far as supernatural movies go, the ones that make me feel vulnerable always win. The first “Paranormal Activity” did that to me, and the new Netflix “Haunting on Hill House” series had some pretty effective moments!

1 Like

I’m a monster guy. But I’m a sucker for a good natural horror story like Ghost in the Darkness or The Edge.:blush:

1 Like

What’s your favorite horror monster, @DAlanBonn? One of my favorites is the giant slug from William Hope Hodgson’s ‘The Night Land.’

1 Like

What’s the first psychological horror you remember reading or watching, @Dark_Writes?