What was your first anime?

Exactly the question above. What was your first anime? Did it turn you off or on anime? Tell us the story!

I’ll say mine as an example:

The first anime I saw bits and pieces of was SAO (Sword Art Online). However, I don’t think I would count this as my first anime. I saw bits of it when I was younger and instantly fell in love with it. I would turn it on every night and hope to gleam another segment of an episode. Well, until I turned it on one night to see a rape scene and killing spree (with lots of blood) in quick succession. I quickly turned it off and vowed never to see any anime ever again.
Years later, I finally worked up the courage to try an anime and see how bad it was for myself before calling complete judgement… and it just happened that the anime I chose was Snow White with the Red Hair. I enjoyed it. I thought it was cool, and it was enough to convince me that anime wasn’t all terrible and that I could try watching another anime to see for sure.
It was then that I remembered watching some Film Theory episodes on My Hero Academia and that I found them fun. So, I thought, if MatPat thought MHA was good, I should check it out. So I did and I loved it. That anime was what officially got me into anime.
From then, I’ve watched anime of lots of different genres in subs and dubs. Some I’ve liked, some I haven’t, however, to this day, I stubbornly refuse to ever watch SAO.

Well, that was my story. :blush: How about you?

EDIT: There’s a poll in the comments. I would love you to fill it out if you want to! :grin:

Rurouni Kenshin. Seriously, I never even knew this was an anime until I was in my teens. I watched it as a kid and loved it, then watched whatever was available on our limited national TV: Digimon, Pokemon, Cardcaptor Sakura, and Angelic Layer. I didn’t watch anime again until a few years later when my brothers were watching Black Cat and I decided to tag along. It hooked me back into anime again. I’m not a diehard watcher as I was back then, though.

3 Likes

Sailor Moon when I was a little girl, but Vampire Knight was my first anime in teen years when I knew what anime is and made a decision to watch anime.

2 Likes

The first anime I’ve watched would be The Irregular at Magic High School, I really couldn’t make up my mind about it,other than I feel that it deserved another season, so I guess I did enjoy it somewhat.

2 Likes

Slayers was the first anime I ever watched. It was impossible for find anime in England, and my friends talked about it on the internet a lot, so I ordered some CDs with realmedia files burned on them to watch it.

1 Like

My first anime was wolf children…
Which made me fall in love with anime…not the series though I’m way too lazy to sit and watch that many seasons.
Successively I watched spirited away , the girl who lept through time, then I just kept going

1 Like

Death Note.

5 Likes

Spirited Away, technically, but I was too young to understand or enjoy it. Naruto is really the first one I got into, like a typical early 00’s weeb. But I always count D Gray Man as the first, because that was the first one I sought out on my own, as opposed to friends suggesting I watch things.

3 Likes

If I’m not mistaken, the first anime I’ve ever watched was Dragon Ball Z. That was totally by chance though. I was flipping through channels and came across it. Loved it in the first few minutes. Hated it once it got too confusing to follow. Lol

Then came Naruto. Oh, man, that’s what really drew me in to Anime, I think. The story, the action, the characters… And did I mention the action? XD

After Naruto came Full Metal Alchemist… Then Pokemon. Then shudder Yu-Gi-Oh. Man, I still remember collecting those cards just because my friends were all obsessed with them. Thank God that trend is over. (At least for me).

Oh, wait. Full Metal Alchemist might have been last… It’s been so long I can’t even remember. XD

1 Like

Kodocha at an anime event :slight_smile:

1 Like

I love you

2 Likes

At least tell me you watched spirited away again cause it’s amazing

1 Like

Mine was Death Note. I fell in love.

I sw bits of Mazinger ( robot anime not sure if I spelled this right) and I was terrified as a child so I dont count it as my first

1 Like

I love you too.

Now Butterfly is playing inside my head.

1 Like

SHOW ME YOUR BRAVE HEART

Naruto.
And yeah I fell in love with it. But going backwards when I was a kid I watched Houl’s moving castle, and it was the best story ever for me. I still love it. But I’m not sure I that counts, is from ghibli anyway :))
But Naruto changed my life. Then through the years I lost interest as the original characters were gone. Simultaneously I’ve had the pleasure of watching Vampire Knight, and u like you I love the bloody ones.
Sword art online is one of my favourite ones. Specially after they leave the world of SAO and they’re still friends in real life.

2 Likes

Hamtaro. I was a kid.

For me it was Pokemon, I was a kid. I got back into anime through Fairy Tail, believe it or not, my favourite youtube singer on youtube made a cover of one of the op and I just got interested!

2 Likes

Inuyasha

2 Likes

Oh dang, I totally forgot about this show! I loved it so much as a kid.