What weird thing do all your stories have in common?

We all have that weird trait that pops up repeatedly in everything we write. Maybe every love interest has black hair, every character drinks coffee, you always have a dramatic chapter set in a car.

Mine is that every story features a dodgy brotherly relationship and the main character has dark hair and/or is bisexual (don’t judge me for self-insertion ok :sweat_smile::cowboy_hat_face: )

What is yours?

My titles :joy: even when the stories have nothing to do with each other.

2 Likes

:sweat_smile::joy: a weird aloneness to the MC, friends come and go, but never stay the whole story. It’s focused on the MCs journey and they tend to leave their friend to continue on alone

2 Likes

Mine is that the male protagonist has at least one song he sings. Except well, North meets South in the West.

1 Like

Just in case any of my readers are lurking in the threads and don’t wish to be spoiled: My favorite character always dies, lmaooo.

2 Likes

There’s always someone/something immortal/demonic/godly/psychic :joy:

Road trip across Canada? It’s through a demonic parallel dimension with a group of college dropout psychics.

Lost siblings/grandparents and a search/rescue? It’s through the Afterlife where a bunch of immortals live.

A quest to restore the voices of a muted kingdom? You’re gonna need the help of gods to do that.

Original dark fairy tales? Witches, demons, curses galore!

2 Likes

My protagonists always end up crying at some point during the story, sometimes multiple times. This is mostly because I like writing characters who are stoic on the surface but show plenty of emotion when they need to. Mostly because I’m that kind of person in real life.

They also always get their left arm injured in some way. This is an unintentional subconscious thing since I broke my left arm when I was 2 years old.

1 Like

Non abusive relationships in Romance.

1 Like

Hahaha, the best sort of plot twist!

1 Like

As common themes go, that’s a pretty damn good one to have 10/10

1 Like

Asexual protagonists … No matter the genre the MC is always a flavor of A-Spec cause your girl needs more ace characters treated like people … Please, I’m so tired.

3 Likes

release from the concept of other people’s morality- and colors I always talk about colors

1 Like

I really seem to like turning people into inanimate objects.

1 Like

Hmm. I think the major thing I have in common in most of my stories (maybe all of them!) is obsession and escape themes.

• A crazy scientist obsessed with capturing a mutant and experimenting on him.

• A horny serial killer obsessed with a smart, brave, and attractive college guy.

• A humanoid large monster obsessed with perotecting a teenage boy in a scary way.

Then the other thing I have in common in most of my current and future stories is that the MCs are all males with dark hair and their names has the K sound in them:

Alex, Kevin, Luke, Clyde, Skye, Max, and Black.

Me too :sunglasses:

I feel like crying now :cry:

1 Like

What? How??

1 Like

Somehow
Someway, almost all of them have atleast one Native American Character
I don’t know why
It’s just a thing I like to do because I like Native Americans
And I find them underrepresented
Though I didn’t notice that almost all my work has atleast one Native Character until I took a step back
Not to mention, almost all of my books have a mentor taking care of a teenager because their parents/parent got fucked over one way or another
Atleast one character is Asexual one way or another
Atleast one character owns some sort of dog
Probably subconscious cuz, I grew up with puppers and am a big pupper lover
There’s atleast one elderly character in almost all of them
Might also be subconscious because I’m very attached to my grandparents
and that there are a shit ton of positive romantic relationships that spawned from a friendship of some kind

1 Like

Like, specifically I like turning the boyfriend of one of my characters into either an animal or inanimate object and one of the sidequests is to turn them back.

Like one character, she has a sword boyfriend. He used to be a golem that got turned into a demonlord when his first love died, but he was tricked by his brother and he got turned into a sword that splits into a bunch of pieces, and his goal is to gather all the pieces that are missing and get his original body back, and one day a talented demon huntress happened upon the sword and he tricked her into helping him so they go around looking for his other half so he can be a full demon with a regular body again.

Another series I have a boy gets his soul ripped out by an evil witch, so my mc puts his soul into that of a cat doll until they can get the witch to restore his original body, and my mc is also crushing on him super hard (she crushes on everyone hard, but she’s crushing on him just slightly harder).

And then I have ANOTHER series with another character who got turned into a flying squirrel, also by an “evil witch,” and she wants ALSO wants to find the witch so she can get her body back and also she’s a princess.

1 Like

One of these days I’m going to write a beauty and the beast story, where the beast permanately stays a beast at the end.

2 Likes