What's the current status of New Adult

As far as the target audience in general. I was told in one self-publishing group it was somewhat imploding on itself. So I kind of gave up on it.

Which seems weird, as its a target audience with a lot of potential!

I’m still not entirely sure what it is supposed to be, or what audience it’s targeting, myself. I’m a little behind on the times.

I feel like Amanda Foody just releazed some good tweets on this (23-25 February)

I’ve seen a few people wanting NA to become acknowledged both from readers and writers side, but the argument that persist the most is that it may make troube to shelve the book or something

In short, it’s sort of like YA, but for college age people.

Doing decently in self-pub - but in trad. there’s just… Not a lot doing it. Either they call it “upper YA” or just plain “Adult”

And it’s doing well within Fantasy and Paranormal with romantic subplots. I don’t have any issues finding NA works there. Which is awesome! :muscle:

But yeah, it’s not a safe age category to write in. Which hurts - because I write exclusively NA :confused:

Yea I lend more toward the Uppper YA, as they’re closer to 18-20 than 24-25.

If it had been around, I was doing New Adult … when I was seventeen. Sometimes things are just weird that way/

Can I just say that the name is unfortunate in that its acronym NA could be read mistakenly as N/A and that could cause confusion?

Oooh… the irony :’)

I’m fairly sure I write new adult fiction but I’m also not entirely clear on why it’s called new adult. Is it the audience who is new to being an adult (because young adult already describes that) or is it a new groundbreaking hot take on adultness in fiction, like nu-jazz is to the jazz scene? (because that also doesn’t make a lot of sense. Adult fiction and being an adult are both pretty universal and as old as time.)

The concept and name just don’t make much sense for me.

We’ll just start replacing the age number for readers with different synonyms for newness.

Young adult fiction
New adult fiction
Bran spankin’ new adult fiction
Adult 2, electric boogaloo

I’ll follow up on this in the morning. But basically it’s teenagers experiencing college for the first time. Or their time time experience the real work force without their parents help. (Supposedly, I had overprotective parents.)

In other words Post Grad generally.

New Adult is YA for 19-25. Since new adults can’t relate to the 16 year old girl falling in love in high school anymore.

With New Adult is where all that bullshit censorship just drops, unless you live someplace where the drinking age is 25. (No I’m not kidding, and people say the US is crazy.)

It’s like a mid life crisis, for teenagers. Or maybe that’s just my experience.

I really like NA books. I loved reading YAs in highschool (that includes MS bc my school only have Elm and highschool) because I got to live the wild/weird teenage life through them. I like getting the same thing from NA since I can’t leave my house to live a life.

The audience or the characters? (or both?)

Because if new adult fiction requires that the characters are in college then it should just be called something more obvious like school-fiction. :rofl: If it’s just college-age though, I def write young adult characters in the college age because that’s what I have experience with, being an also college-age wackadoo myself. Though my characters do not attend college.

You’d think young-adult would mean 18-25 since that’s what a young adult is. A pre-18 teenager is not an adult, so that’s kinda a weird name for teen fiction. Further compounding the confusion surrounding both of these genres and their naming scheme.

Though I suppose teens want to read things that claim to be for adults so maybe it’s marketing strategy. :thinking:

New Adult can be about college - a lot of the contemporary romances are.

But when they venture into other genres, it’s generally just more about the issues people in their 20’s face, that are unique to them. Like finding your adult identity, figuring out relationships, even building a family and stuff like that. Mix that with Fantasy and you’ve got books mostly focused on the 18-25/30 age bracket. There are some YA elements, but it’s just for an older audience. (Not that YA can’t be - but the main demographic is the 18-25/30-year-olds.)

I think it doesn’t include 18 because they still live like a teenager. They’re in school for a bit, still have the same friends, and don’t really change that much. I know I didn’t. Nineteen isn’t much different but you’re encouraged more to be in college and go out into the world. While eighteen still listens to their mom and has to be guided. My thoughts on it.

ALSO NA is free to have more in depth sexual relationships.

I was just about to mention that! :smile:

That is a good clarification for the genre’s meanings!

My confusion comes mostly from the English language perspective rather than the genre.

New adult and young adult, by definition, should be the same thing and neither should include audiences younger than 18. But that is very much not how these genres work and they are somehow different, despite being poorly named.