What's the current status of New Adult

Can’t have those teenyweeny kiddos know about s-e-x, right? :joy:

That definitely helps with the genre explanation and is why I think my story fits NA and not YA. Because my characters are being involved with crime, prison, starting families, jobs, and social connections outside of their teens for the very first time and it is definitely going to be relatable to people starting out as adults, not on-going as teens. Plus, urban fantasy, scifi and all that are definitely there.

Bahahaha, oh no. Gotta keep their pure minds pure!

Also with NA you’re not limited by a lot of rules. If you want gory shit? Stock up on that gory shit!

I also like how it doesn’t take itself too seriously as many Adult works can. Even with genres like Dark Fantasy, there’s still a lightness to it. It’s hard to explain but maybe it’s the fact that all of the NA works I’ve read added a lot of humour. There is room for silly humour. (Disclaimer, not saying there isn’t in Adult - but there’s a lot more of it in NA, in my experience)

o there be that :sunglasses::rofl:

Urban Fantasy is huuuuge in NA. And it’s amazing!

But yeah, YA often focuses on an “coming of age” storyline in some way or another - where NA focuses more the characters knowing who they are, but still struggling with adult responsibilities.

That can be everything from the MC attending college - or becoming the monarch of a fictional country and now has to rule a country.

Now that I understand the two, I can’t help but continue to wonder why they have been named so poorly. :rofl:

I am glad that they don’t have to have certain aspects (like college) though. Things like ‘general fiction’ are very strict on what they are and aren’t, whereas things like horror are super loose and can be just about anything. It’s a strange world out there for writers trynna categorize their works.

NA gets a lot from linking itself to YA. Everybody knows readers are going to eventually age up, but YA has a few things that they are known for. Being a teen, young love, average gore/sex, and easy to understand stories.

So how does this help NA? It takes everything from YA that people love as teens and just moves it up marketing it as ‘more adult than you’ve ever been’ that goes for egos. Then it takes the pg13 rating every teen hated and tosses it out the window.

I have learned things here and for that I thank you both. :relaxed:

Though I also know jack about writing since I only began writing books in 2019. Before this year, I have tons of experience writing but only for comic books. So I know all about comic ratings and genres but books are a whole new level of confoundry.

Honestly, I think Young Adult is called Young Adult because 70% of the people buying YA are actually adult women :joy: So it makes sound a little better to say “I read YA as an adult” than “I love teen books!” That’s my theory anyways :joy:

My approach to the entire genre and age categorisation is me thinking “Who’d be most interested in this?” Which is soooo much easier now when I can kind of rely on my stats here on Wattpad.

I know I’ve hit a fanbase that likes Dark Urban Fantasy. And I know my main demo is the 18-25-year-olds. So I’ll keep promoting my work as NA and Dark (whatever sub-genre) Fantasy.

It’s honestly just all about promotion. That’s what the genres are for in the first place. I know pure romance readers might not be that interested in my stories since there’s a bunch of magic and a looot of violence. But there might still be a cross-over since I have romantic subplots.

Big side track, but to sum up here; think of who you wanna attract and who’d be interested in your book, moreso than what each individual genre demands (of course don’t just cast all rules to the wind. The genre fans might get a little irked by that, lol)

NA is basically YA with older characters and no censoring :joy:

That’s what is so great about Wattpad! I didn’t know squat either when I started. I was just writing stories. Wattpad has taught me so much :blush:

I love wattpad for being diverse enough and accepting enough that it’s not too hard to enter the writing community. I can’t say as much for a lot of facebook writing groups… or deviantART for that matter, so I’m glad I found this place. ^^

dA is easy to get started writing on but there’s just no other writers around to help out. No feedback or learning the ropes sorta interaction.

Damn, got me there.:joy::joy:

Also it’s creepy AF for a 20 year old woman to read about a 16 year old boy in a fiction and think “damn he’s hot”. Wow now i’m a pedo. Makes you feel gross lol

Ooph yes! That’s what I loved the most when I started almost two years ago. People were so overwhelmingly welcoming and no one treated me like dumbass despite me being a total noob :joy:

:thinking: I have never even thought about that. See, this is why I read NA. I can gush over characters and there’s no paedo factor!

Oh, and another one like dA is tumblr. They are both great sites for beginners to find readers but they’re communities of content consumers. There aren’t many good places to talk to other authors and share author experiences. It’s like if you were trying to learn to drive by not hitting anything and doing what others were doing. It’s plausible but you still kinda rly want instructions. :laughing:

Gross I know 30 yr old readers who are like that and I try to avoiiiidd

Honestly, dA used to be great but I kind of… Lost interest. I’ve been there for about 12 years now (?) and I dunno. Wattpad and Twitter seemed a lot better for me personally, in terms of sharing both writing and illustrations.

I’ve never used any other site to write, but I have used this one for 9 years (two years on a different account). I always found it inspiring how easy it is to talk to people here. Though I am questioning the coins to unlock stories. Wrong turn wattpad.