What's your lore?

I thought it might be interesting to create a sort of questionnaire – it could potentially help people find the kinds of werewolf novels they most enjoy. For your novel/world specifically, tell me…

• Does the world know about werewolves? If so, is there a stigma?
  • Are werewolves dangerous?
  • Can they shift voluntarily?
  • Are they forced to shift at the full moon? If so, is it a one-night or three-night affair?
  • Can anything else force a change?
  • Does shifting hurt?
  • Does shifting take a physical toll (before or after it happens)?
  • Are werewolves able to control their actions once transformed?
  • Can they remember what happened while they were transformed?
  • Are there any treatments available to ease the less savory aspects of being a werewolf?
  • Where do werewolves go to transform?
  • How does someone become a werewolf?
  • Are werewolves an even 50/50 split, or can only members of one sex become a werewolf?
  • Are there pack dynamics (alphas and such)?
  • Do “mates” exist in your world? If so, how do they work?
  • Are werewolves negatively affected by silver?
  • Do they have enhanced senses of any kind?
  • Do they have any other supernatural gifts?
  • Are they part of a rivalry or alliance with another supernatural species?
  • Do they transform into ordinary wolves, larger-than-normal wolves, horror-movie werewolves, or something else?

Feel free to add other questions if you can think of them – this is all I’ve got for now!

1 Like

Here’s mine:

Does the world know about werewolves? If so, is there a stigma?
Yes and very much yes, although the stigma is worse in certain parts of the country.

Are werewolves dangerous?
About two-thirds of them are, to varying degrees. The other third could be dangerous if they wanted to be, but that would be silly.

Can they shift voluntarily?
No.

Are they forced to shift at the full moon? If so, is it a one-night or three-night affair?
Yes; thankfully, it’s only one night a month.

Can anything else force a change?
Nope.

Does shifting hurt?
I don’t think any of them would say that it’s a fun experience.

Does shifting take a physical toll (before or after it happens)?
Yes. Most werewolves will experience temporary colorblindess for a couple of days before a transformation, and their senses of smell and hearing will be uncomfortably sharp. On the day of transformation, nearly all of them will experience some kind of headache, weakness, shakiness, and maybe some nausea. The day after, they’ll mostly feel sore and exhausted.

Are werewolves able to control their actions once transformed?
One-third can, the other two-thirds can’t. And it’s just down to luck which one you end up being.

Can they remember what happened while they were transformed?
Two-thirds can, one-third can’t.

Are there any treatments available to ease the less savory aspects of being a werewolf?
Yes, there’s a medication, but unfortunately it doesn’t always work.

Where do werewolves go to transform?
In the U.S., this depends on how much control they have and what kinds of laws their state has in place. If they’ve proven that they can stay in control (whether because of the medication or because they’re the lucky few who just can), they can usually hunker down at home. If not, they’ll have to go to a hospital or a special holding facility.

How does someone become a werewolf?
Bites.

Are werewolves an even 50/50 split, or can only members of one sex become a werewolf?
Even split.

Are there pack dynamics (alphas and such)?
Not at all, as there isn’t anything inhuman about them aside from that one night a month.

Do “mates” exist in your world? If so, how do they work?
No.

Are werewolves negatively affected by silver?
Nope.

Do they have enhanced senses of any kind?
They can hear and smell better than most people at all times, and in the days before transformation, that amps up to a kind of sensory overload.

Do they have any other supernatural gifts?
No.

Are they part of a rivalry or alliance with another supernatural species?
Not unless it’s personal to them. Maybe Joe the Werewolf hates pixies or something, I don’t know.

Do they transform into ordinary wolves, larger-than-normal wolves, horror-movie werewolves, or something else?
Mostly ordinary wolves, but they’ve got very sharp teeth, and one-third of them badly wants to kill you.

Im not sure i count as mine are shifters but ill try

Nope
    Yes in the respect of power and temperment, but not uncontrolled usually
    Yup
  • Are they forced to shift at the full moon? If so, is it a one-night or three-night affair?
    Nope, but the moons important
    They shift at will once they hit puberty
  • Does shifting hurt?
    At first yes, the more they do it the more its like streaching
    Again with practise its easier
    Yes, though the wolf sides more front and center so they can be more tempermental
    Yup
  • Are there any treatments available to ease the less savory aspects of being a werewolf?
    N/A
    Can only be born one
  • Are werewolves an even 50/50 split, or can only members of one sex become a werewolf?
    Yes and no? More males seem to be born.
    Yup, alpha, beta third(gamma is lunas champion, if the connections not right a new third who is gamma will be chosen and the third becomes delta)
    They do but not instant love. It just makes them take notice of someone they might miss, they still have to put the work in.
    Yup
    Heightened hearing night sight and smell
    Not most just a few
    Not really? They have enough issues between packs councils royals and rogues.
  • Do they transform into ordinary wolves, larger-than-normal wolves, horror-movie werewolves, or something else?
    Larger then normal wolves, size is partially based on prowess.
1 Like

Does the world know about werewolves? If so, is there a stigma? I like to write with a magical realism tone so the world at large does not know they are real.

Very

Yes but shifts during the full moon and next to it are a forced full shift. (they have no control over it and their form is similar to harry potter/ underworld werewolves)

Are they forced to shift at the full moon? If so, is it a one-night or three-night affair?
yes, 3

No

Does shifting hurt?
yes

After they feel tired and their muscles ache.

usually unless its a forced shift.

yes unless it’s a forced shift.

Are there any treatments available to ease the less savory aspects of being a werewolf?
No, they view it as a blessing.

Most hives where they live are located in wild areas with space but their homes are also constructed with heavy metal in-bedded in the walls.

Originally they were turned by a ritual known as the sacrament, each witch in the ceremony became a werewolf and this gave birth to the bloodlines. More werewolves are born usually but they can also turn an outsider/human by biting them in wolf form.

Are werewolves an even 50/50 split, or can only members of one sex become a werewolf?
pretty even

No, it’s a coven based structure.
They dont really exist, attractions are just heightened.

yes and wolfsbane

enhanced smell, hearing, reflexes, strength

They can heal pretty quickly from normal injuries.

They dont trust vampires because they are part of the reason they did the sacrament in the first place as witch blood is heavily sought after. Now their blood poisons vampires.

Do they transform into ordinary wolves, larger-than-normal wolves, horror-movie werewolves, or something else?
They can do whats called a full-shift or a half-shift.
Full-shift: more horror movie type like underworld
Half-Shift: larger than normal wolf.

1 Like

Super different from mine, which makes them intriguing!

You’re one of the only writers I’ve seen who’s committed to the three-night thing – love that. Honestly, all of your lore sounds really interesting; the ritual in particular intrigues me.

Mine are shifters/Changelings
not werewolves

i hope that’s still okay

Yes, the world knows about them. Hmmm I can’t really get into that, there are humans who love them, there are those who dislike them and feel they are privileged.
    Depens, yes in one on one combat, but humans outnumber them. So, a few humans with weapons are still a danger to wolves.
    Yes, it’s when they prefer. Unless one goes rogue, or they lose control to their animal side. They start doing this as children. Like we just learn to walk, they also learn to shift, it’s a natural process and mostly takes place around the age of one
    No, no full moon powers
    Can’t get into that without spoiling too much, but let’s say it’s under research
  • Does shifting hurt?
    The first few times, untill the body is used to the sensation.
    No
    Most of the time, yes. There is a bigger chance of their animal taking over their mind completely, in that case the animal is dominant and the human half has no control over the actions.
    Depending on who is in charge. Normally they co-exist and now, but in extreme moments and the animal takes over they can block out the human, making the human part unaware.
    No, although there are healers. And while shifter bodies heal faster, they’re not without limites.
    where they want
    you get born as one.
    even split
    yes
    They do, but shifters only mate willingly. When they fall in love. It’s a choice they make. Just ike humans would say yes to a marriage. Meaning it’s based on trust and love
    nope
    Yes, smell, hearing and taste is better
    Only healers, they have the ability to help and guide a body into healing itself better.
    Only with other packs of different shifter species
    normall sized wolves
1 Like

Does the world know about werewolves? If so, is there a stigma?

• No, only a select few people know – and the governments, of course.

• Some are, some aren’t.

• Most can, yes.

• No, but for some there is a stronger urge to. For those who have prolonged transformations, they typically spend three days to a week in their wolf-shape.

• Yes, intense emotions can force a change.

Does shifting hurt?

• For some bloodlines, the change is a grueling process.

• Again, for some bloodlines, yes. Others feel a rush of sorts or a sense of peace.

• Most can, but it can vary from person to person, bloodline to bloodline.

• Again, most can, but it can vary.

• Some clans have developed ways to cope, but there isn’t a treatment.

• It depends. Some prowl state parks or forests, others have specially designed spaces in their houses/properties, and then there are the morons who like to skulk around in alleyways.

• It’s hereditary for most. Others can be cursed/blessed with the ability, but it takes an extremely powerful witch (or witches) to do something like that.

• For most bloodlines, it’s an even split – but certain clans were tainted by misogynistic human ideals which caused their females to be born without a wolf-shape.

• Yes, clans have authority figures – the same way human families do – the primary, secondary, and tertiary matriarchs and patriarchs (depending on how big the clan is) and the elders.

• No, at least not in the traditional “ordained-by-the-Moon-Goddess” sense.

• No.

• Most do, yes – hearing, smell, reflexes, strength, and others are highly attuned to nature and magick.

• A select few bloodlines do have telepathic and/or telekinetic abilities.

• It depends on the person and clan, but normally they try to remain civil with each other.

1 Like

Here’s my two cents from my book:

Nope! Only other supernatural creatures know about each other, but everything is hidden from humans (although I would assume a select few would know)

Usually the ones that turn rogue are. However, it’s like being human, some have malicious intentions, others don’t.

Yes.

No they aren’t. The first shift takes place on their thirteenth birthday, as they become a teen, but after that they’re good to go. Royals shift at the age of 16.

Emotions possibly, or an Alpha/Royal command.

• Does shifting hurt?

Only the first time.

Only the first time, it hurts. After that, it’s more like if you do a bunch of physical actvitiy as a wolf, then you’ll be tired whenyou shift back. And injuries carry over too.

Yes, but they can give into their wolves if they want.

Yes, unless the human is asleep and the inner wolf takes over (important part of my story)

Not really

The woods normally

You have to be born one (haven’t considered any other things yet)

50/50 split

Yep! ALphas, betas, gammas (third in command) and the royal bloodline which outranks alphas

YES. You’re able to find them once you turn 18, and you usually smell them.

Yes. Except for the royal wolves.

Speed, strength, smell, sight.

Healing

Probably hate vampires

Larger than normal !

1 Like

This legitimately sounds rad (and I love the werewolf chart, ha ha!) I like the “bloodline” aspect to it – it sounds as though your werewolves all originated a bit differently, and as a result, their descendants are all a bit different? Would absolutely read this.

I wanted something different than what was written in the genre, along with a reason for the affliction. Witches, instead of dealing with being hunted by humans and vampires performed the sacrament, drinking of a poultice that transformed them. Not all witches are werewolves, but all werewolves are witches. I wanted to keep the darker aspects of the wolf as well, while exploring it. That led me to keep the 3 nights as forced transformations while they keep the ability to transform at whim. Although they are stronger during the night.

Your title said lore. I was hoping for more than just werewolves. I have Vampires, witches, werewolves, necromancer, elves, dwarves, and dragons, as well as many made up species.

1 Like
    No, not really. Most of the werewolves live on a remote island.

As long as they have a lot of space to roam when they shift, they’re fine.

They can, but it takes a lot of mental willpower, which requires some training to harness.

Ordinarily, yes, but there are suppressant pills that the city wolves take for career reasons. It’s usually a one-night affair.

Some illicit substances can affect their ability to control their shift. Their fight-or-flight instinct can also force a change, as can prolonged periods of hunger and thirst.

• Does shifting hurt?
    Yes.

No.

Yes, to a certain extent. They can control where they go and some of what they do. But they cannot control their base instincts to kill and maim.

Somewhat. It’s sort of like remembering dreams; sometimes you forget everything as soon as you wake up.

The most common treatment is over-the-counter pills which suppress the shift. There are also other substances which can help, although they have their own side-effects.

They find a secluded area in the woods. Some use special lodges with fenced-in areas to minimize harm to wildlife.

They are born into it.

It’s almost a 50/50 split, but not quite. There are gender disparities in some areas due to various factors.

Roughly 80% of the island is ruled by packs. The other 20% is a democratic werewolf nation.

There is a mate bond, but not a very strong one, and it serves as more of a guide than something which forcibly binds two souls together.

Yes. Mercury is nearly as effective, if not more.

They have an enhanced smell and hearing, when they shift.

No.

The biggest rivalry is intra-species, between the pack-ruled wolves and the Republic of New Carinthia, a democratic werewolf nation. The Republic of New Carinthia is also currently the it destination for supernatural immigration from human countries, due to low crime, stable government and established rights for supernatural species.

They shift into quadrupedal creatures which vaguely look like wolves.

1 Like

Ha, well, it is the “werewolf” genre, so I suppose I didn’t think of including other creatures. Definitely interested in the fact that you write about so many, though. And I thought I had a difficult time working out all the werewolf rules!

1 Like

This also sounds fascinating! I love the idea of the island, and it sounds like your society is really well-built and interesting.

1 Like

Yeah, my mind is all kinds of scrambled. :joy:

I originally designed the world for a race of tiny tree-dwelling people, concentrating mostly on the capital city of what is now the democratic part. It was only when I discovered the werewolf genre on Wattpad, through being hired to edit a book, that I adapted it for werewolves.