What's your opinion on Wattpad Story Insights?

Writers, what is your opinion on Wattpad charging for Story Insights?

I was originally excited that Wattpad was adding a new way to help writers improve in constructing a story, with reports on “Word Repetition” and “Sentence Length”, but after finding out it was something you would have to pay for, it disappointed me, considering that this site is supposed to be a free way for young aspiring writers to grow and a lot of said young aspiring writers have little-to-no money to afford a $20-40 report.
Should Wattpad charge us for something that could help us improve our skills in writing, or should it be free for everyone to use?

Edit: I know I can be a bit bias, as shown above lol, but please share your opinions. I’d love to hear them.

I do think they could be a little cheaper. Not sure if they should be completely free, though.

There are other programs that offer the same information that are free, though.

2 Likes

We should pay for it.
Yeah, everyone would love it to be free, but… Wattpad is a compagny and they need money to exist. This is business.
The money they’ll make will probably be used to make Wattpad grows, to pay the writers, to develop the website… etc.

When we signed up to Wattpad, we signed up to share our stories for free, to read stories and discuss with readers, the stories insights were not a thing. If they add it, it’s legit to be a paid option.

Plus, if they make personnalized insight for everyone, they’ll need to pay the people who are working on it !

And let me add that you are not forced to pay for it ! You can ignore this new option and ask a free beta reader on the forum if they want to give they advice or go to another site.

So, to me, it should be paid because the world we live in (not everything can be free).

10 Likes

My reply:
If it was cheaper? 26$ CAD for one report is a lot already!!! And they are saying the full price is 53$ CAD. That’s-- How? That’s half a hundred dollars. For one report. This report could be so useful. But I would want a report and then another to see if I’ve improved–thats 100$. I don’t have that much money to throw around. I wish it costed less, but :see_no_evil: nothing can be done about it
Maybe it could be added to premium?

3 Likes

The report is an optional thing, though. You don’t need it to be successful or anything.

7 Likes

I did hear that there were other programs out there that were free to use on the internet, but I thought it was a little weird for Wattpad to charge people for something they could get free elsewhere

2 Likes

There must be something unique about the report to justify it being behind a paywall. At least, I hope so.

2 Likes

The thing I’ll want to know is if is it all automated or is it a real person who makes some of the remarks (helped by a software) ? Because if there is real person behind it, it can explain the price… they need to pay there people.

2 Likes

I think it’s automated.

1 Like

Completely ?

I think it’s automated as well. I would understand the price if it were someone behind the screen actually doing it, but I think it’s a little cheaper to get a computer to do it.

3 Likes

I was curious about it, until I saw the price tag. I understand that they are a business, but coupled with the pushing of the “Paid” stories and other money centric things, I was kind of disappointed. I suppose it depends what Wattpad’s goal is. Are they a site aiming to improve writing and provide indie ( or undiscovered) authors a platform to expand their capabilities and connect with like minded individuals… or are they merely a publishing company where, like every other literary concept, the little voice gets drowned out to make way for flash and consumerism?

1 Like

Well… I do think the story insights is a little bit expensive, but Wattpad is a compagny. At a certain point, to continue to grow, they need to make money !

2 Likes

Yeah. as I said. I understand they’re a business. But they’re overloading us on the “making money” side. And it’s a disappointing trend in the ‘publishing’ business that I can’t get behind.

In terms of my writing experience, I find the reports unnecessary for my purposes behind joining Wattpad. I’ve improved in leaps and bounds and continue to do so from the concept of community that I’ve been able to foster here on Wattpad.

But, as the thread is asking for opinions everyone is welcome to have their own

1 Like

Optional, but it could very useful. And I think the full amount is a bit price… 53$ CAD

Probably software?

1 Like

I do understand that Wattpad is a company and not everything in the world is free, and that this program is completely optional, but I believe that when it comes to the benefit of young writers, these things should be free. I understand that money is important, but there are other ways for such a successful company like Wattpad to make money without having to do it this way. That’s why I didn’t really have a problem about the ads.

2 Likes

I saw the Story Insights option and thought it was important for writers to discuss it as it could possibly have a great impact on our works on Wattpad and our skills in writing or just us as a community, depending on what happens next. Everyone’s opinion on the matter is completely welcome, whether you disagree or agree or are in between.

I notice a lot of people say this but not a lot of people give alternatives.

A company like Wattpad cannot survive solely on ad revenue.

3 Likes

A young writer’s best way at improving is to read and write continuously. A story report won’t be the end-all-be-all for them

3 Likes

The charging doesn’t bother me. I figured that would happen. I just thought it would be a part of Premium, and then I was going to buy Premium. I don’t know how I feel about paying $20 or whatever per report. I’d rather have a subscription and be able to use it whenever I want.

7 Likes